6.4L Powerstroke

RickyMcGrath

Damn. 9k!! That's just stupid. Why would they even design it like that..

Didnt the powerstroke have head or head gasket issues a while back also? My buddy had one and was always nervous about it

I'm a GM fan straight to the core so I would have to go duramax if I was gonna. I do have a lot of respect for the Cummins also. Amazing engine .. powerstorke..... ehh. Hahaha. Just busting

Sounds like you have a sick truck

Diesels have always tempted me but I never could justify it. My 1500 5.3l pulls my approx 7000 lb trailer just fine for how much I tow

I do have an intake exhaust and tune also. Wanna swap gears to 3.73 soon. After I upped my tires things got a little sluggish. No where near 700hp though!! Haha

Damn. 9k!! That's just stupid. Why would they even design it like that..

Didnt the powerstroke have head or head gasket issues a while back also? My buddy had one and was always nervous about it

I'm a GM fan straight to the core so I would have to go duramax if I was gonna. I do have a lot of respect for the Cummins also. Amazing engine .. powerstorke..... ehh. Hahaha. Just busting

Sounds like you have a sick truck

Diesels have always tempted me but I never could justify it. My 1500 5.3l pulls my approx 7000 lb trailer just fine for how much I tow

I do have an intake exhaust and tune also. Wanna swap gears to 3.73 soon. After I upped my tires things got a little sluggish. No where near 700hp though!! Haha

What gears are in it now?

So on a 6.4L, as well as many other common rail diesels, the fuel system can pressurize to over 20,000 PSI. The 6.4L has pressures up to 26,000 PSI. The new 6.7L can reach 30,000 PSI. The problem is fuel quality and whether or not the owner/driver knows how to recognize it when it happens. When the fuel pump goes, it destroys EVERYTHING down the line. Injectors, supply lines etc. A fuel system repair starts out at about $6K if caught early. Run it for a second too long runs you $7-9K. Run it for 2 seconds too long, new engine. $10-15K depending if the block is ok.

The problem isn't the system. In most failures I've seen, it's the fuel and poor maintenance. Insurance usually pays for it if it is determined to be contaminated fuel. You can also go after the station if you have receipts.

So on a 6.4L, as well as many other common rail diesels, the fuel system can pressurize to over 20,000 PSI. The 6.4L has pressures up to 26,000 PSI. The new 6.7L can reach 30,000 PSI. The problem is fuel quality and whether or not the owner/driver knows how to recognize it when it happens. When the fuel pump goes, it destroys EVERYTHING down the line. Injectors, supply lines etc. A fuel system repair starts out at about $6K if caught early. Run it for a second too long runs you $7-9K. Run it for 2 seconds too long, new engine. $10-15K depending if the block is ok.

The problem isn't the system. In most failures I've seen, it's the fuel and poor maintenance. Insurance usually pays for it if it is determined to be contaminated fuel. You can also go after the station if you have receipts.

Or drive a gasser and forgo all of that crap, lol. I'd love a diesel but not when repairs are so insane. Considering leasing one though in the near future. 

Or drive a gasser and forgo all of that crap, lol. I'd love a diesel but not when repairs are so insane. Considering leasing one though in the near future.

It's not THAT bad.

My favorite part is the crazy power they create. I'm pushing 700HP. The look of amazement when I smoke most sports cars.

I worked for our electric co-op over the summer and one of the supervisors trucks (2009 dodge 3/4 ton with the 6.7 Cummins) had been hopped up a bit. All of the emissions equipment "fell off" and the guys in the garage installed a programmer and that thing would absolutely haul. Somehow he would get almost 20 to the gallon too. They did the exact same thing to a 5500 dodge bucket truck and for some reason it has been through 4 head gaskets. The third time they put head studs in and it still blew. This time they uninstalled the programmer.

I worked for our electric co-op over the summer and one of the supervisors trucks (2009 dodge 3/4 ton with the 6.7 Cummins) had been hopped up a bit. All of the emissions equipment "fell off" and the guys in the garage installed a programmer and that thing would absolutely haul. Somehow he would get almost 20 to the gallon too. They did the exact same thing to a 5500 dodge bucket truck and for some reason it has been through 4 head gaskets. The third time they put head studs in and it still blew. This time they uninstalled the programmer.

"For some reason." Lol. 12,000 lb truck, pushing 5-600 HP. I wonder why?

I wonder how many bolts per cylinder the dodge runs. Ford 6.0's had head gasket issues so in the 6.4, they added more bolts all the way around. Then, there was still too many HG's failing, so in the 6.7, so they added even more bolts.

Bill Hewitt over at PowerstrokeHelp.com has engineered custom heads with metal O-rings around each cylinder. Minimizes the combustion from ever even reaching the gasket.

There are 26 for the engine. I don't know what they did that was different but until then I have never heard of a head gasket issue with the 6.7. I have heard of ringing the heads before. It is usually on high HP or boost engines. It makes sense to do that to a diesel since they run such high compression and boost.