What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 12/12/2016 at 7:53 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Seems like more and more multibit screwdrivers come with the end that pops out like this.. either that, or I haven't shopped for screwdrivers in a long time...

These have been my go-to multi screwdrivers for a long time:

IMG_20161215_073106.jpg

I've got a bunch of these in various places around the house and in toolboxes.  They're pretty much the perfect multi-driver.  #1 and #2 Phillips, 3/16" and 9/32" slotted, 1/4", 5/16", and 7/16" nut drivers.  You can take the shaft out of the handle and chuck it into a drill.  The handle is comfortable and well balanced, and gives good grip if you need a lot of force, while still being easy to control for delicate work.  The hex shape at the base of the handle keeps it from rolling when you put it down.  And the butt of the handle makes an excellent makeshift rubber mallet in a pinch.

Of course, as perfect as they are, Crescent decided to stop making them.  The new model is mediocre:

319dbPrQpJL.jpg

If you run across any of the old ones, grab 'em.  

• Like 3

I missed them when my local Home Depot was selling them. They got rid of them. Not selling I guess. But my electrical supply house just got them in today actually so I snagged a set. I paid 30, but I think HD online has them for 35. The reviews I've seen look pretty promising in the cutting department , though I'm not sure what the longevity will be like. I'll try any new gimmicky tool at least once. I have the Klein carbide hole cutters, but I was interested in trying these out on panels since I carry the m12 fuel 1/4" impact in my bag at all times. And one less excuse to have to carry my heavier m18 drill. They seem to be geared to sparky's seeing how the set is good for 1/2", 3/4", and 1" conduit fittings. I'll keep you posted once I get some holes with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been using mine for over a year. I have done about 100 holes with them. The 1/2" KO saw has one broken tooth, but still cuts well. Keep in mind they are for knock outs. They are not a true hole saw, they are made for mild steel cabinets, pvc etc.

The end is flared to prevent the saw from going right through the material, into your panel etc.

They are cheap and do a great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have been using mine for over a year. I have done about 100 holes with them. The 1/2" KO saw has one broken tooth, but still cuts well. Keep in mind they are for knock outs. They are not a true hole saw, they are made for mild steel cabinets, pvc etc.

The end is flared to prevent the saw from going right through the material, into your panel etc.

They are cheap and do a great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right on[emoji106]. Yeah the 7/8" 1 1/8", and 1 3/8" are the sizes required for the smaller conduit, and they are meant for cutting in KO's. I probably should have pointed that out.

Thanks.

Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Grumpy MSG said:

Wow, I thought it was a Milwaukee mop bucket. I couldn't figure out why a mop bucket needed Bluetooth. 

I kid, I kid...

I didn't know what it was.  I had to do a Google image search to find out it was a light.  I had a bad sense of the scale of the thing from the picture and thought it was some kind of shop vac. :huh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwasifar said:

I didn't know what it was.  I had to do a Google image search to find out it was a light.  I had a bad sense of the scale of the thing from the picture and thought it was some kind of shop vac. :huh:

It's pretty big but not that big! It does have quite a bit of gravity in her, hell of a great light. The base is about the footprint of a 5 gallon bucket, it's about 2/3rd the height of a 5 gallon bucket too.

A quick trip to Lowe's for an OMT blade and. Couple of clamps ended up a with a few more items in the cart.

3db0af1debf551907b2810d766537d5d.jpg

BTW, did anyone know that Irwin flush cut saws are made in Japan? I wasn't really planning in getting one, but I couldn't resist. Also, Kreg makes a short #2 pocket screw bit. It was an educational and not too expensive stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, khariV said:

A quick trip to Lowe's for an OMT blade and. Couple of clamps ended up a with a few more items in the cart.

3db0af1debf551907b2810d766537d5d.jpg

BTW, did anyone know that Irwin flush cut saws are made in Japan? I wasn't really planning in getting one, but I couldn't resist. Also, Kreg makes a short #2 pocket screw bit. It was an educational and not too expensive stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely love those "quick-grip" style clamps. They come in so handy when I only have one hand available!

• Like 1

Here was my arrival for today. Grizzly Combination Square set (G5726). It's not Starrett quality, but it's nice for $35. Hefty cast iron, laser etched markings, etc.

Can't see myself needing anything more for what I'll be doing with it.

IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Here was my arrival for today. Grizzly Combination Square set (G5726). It's not Starrett quality, but it's nice for $35. Hefty cast iron, laser etched markings, etc.

Can't see myself needing anything more for what I'll be doing with it.

IMG_6729.JPG

IMG_6730.JPG

Very nice! Grizzly makes some nice stuff for very good prices.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaveJr. said:

Very nice! Grizzly makes some nice stuff for very good prices.

Agreed. I've had a few Grizzly products over the years. I don't recall any that I can say I was disappointed with. 

I'm seriously considering their smaller metal cutting bandsaw. About $200 cheaper than a comparable entry level Jet, and I'm betting they're similar quality.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-6-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0622?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

23 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Agreed. I've had a few Grizzly products over the years. I don't recall any that I can say I was disappointed with. 

I'm seriously considering their smaller metal cutting bandsaw. About $200 cheaper than a comparable entry level Jet, and I'm betting they're similar quality.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-6-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G0622?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

I can tell you that there machinery is top notch. I have one of their 14" bandsaws and it is great! There customer service is great too! You wouldn't regret buying a machine from them!

• Like 1