What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

9 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Is this the Amp Clamp set up you guys are talking about? 

I have the Fluke 179 DMM along with the Fluke 1400 Amp Clamp, love this combo. I also have a Fluke 322 Clamp Meter.

Those Klein Meters look real nice with alot to offer for the price...

I'm not sure, I was specifically looking at the one that works with the 87V. It's a super nice kit you have there!

• Like 1

I almost brought the 87V instead of the 179, but I got a great deal on the 179 as a package at the time and I have a Victor DMM that does MicroAmps anyway, I'm quite sure this amp clamp would work with the 87V?

i am in the market for another clamp Meter,,, just because,,. Lol 

Let us know what you think of that new Klein Clamp meter when you use it 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

I almost brought the 87V instead of the 179, but I got a great deal on the 179 as a package at the time and I have a Victor DMM that does MicroAmps anyway, I'm quite sure this amp clamp would work with the 87V?

i am in the market for another clamp Meter,,, just because,,. Lol 

Let us know what you think of that new Klein Clamp meter when you use it 

I will do, I plan on playing around with it this week...but I have mostly mechanical troubleshooting to do as I have about $3,000 worth of reel to reels on my bench right now and a low vision machine that doesn't appear to have any electrical issues. I'm sure something will come in this week. Testing basic functions and seeing how quickly it can read voltage changes on the variac only tells you soo much about the meter...though it did almost immediately disqualify the Milwaukee meter I bought for cheap as an advanced-user usable multimeter.

Right now, I can tell you it's a lot more reliable than the Milwaukee. I also would recommend the CL800 over this one because of the worklight and the ability to measure DC A.

4 hours ago, BMack37 said:

It's basically like an expensive different kind of lead. The thing is you have to get a multimeter that supports the add-on and from what I recall(though I haven't really researched a lot) they're lower rated clamps. I think the Fluke version was rated at 400 Amps and I think Fluke claims they have the only Cat III 1000V addon...and it's like $150. The Klein CL800 and CL700 are cheaper than the Fluke addon and you can get a better spec-ed Fluke(compared to the Fluke addon) clamp meter for about the same price.

I went with the Klein for the cost and the 2 meter drop resistant body. I was comfortable with giving Klein a shot because I don't need a clamp meter to be super accurate and have a super quick refresh rate. Hoping it surprises me in both of those regards but I won't know for sure until I do some testing on parts, circuits and my variac when I go back to work on Monday.

Mine is an older fluke. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I think it actually says John Fluke cooperation on it. It is also all black.

1 hour ago, NicholasShetley said:

Mine is an older fluke. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. I think it actually says John Fluke cooperation on it. It is also all black.

The big ones that were rather square? My first multimeter(a hand-me down) was one of those styles, I think it was a 73 or something. I didn't have it long before the screen went, then I picked up a Fluke 12 which I used for several years...I finally got tired of the annoying auto-switch voltage thing. If you were checking anything other than voltage and there was a charged cap in circuit, it would read the voltage off the cap. So you'd have to wait or discharge the cap...or grab another meter. You'd think it would be a bigger problem than it was but when it was a problem it was really annoying.

...maybe we should start a multimeter/clamp meter thread? I feel like I'm starting to derail this thread.

• Like 1

I wanted to thank KnarlyCarl before I posted but this beauty arrived yesterday. A new-to-me 3/8" air ratchet for my new air compressor and it works great! I thought it would push the air compressor's limits much more than it actually does. Thanks Buddy! It made my day!

MdRBar7.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BMack37 said:

I wanted to thank KnarlyCarl before I posted but this beauty arrived yesterday. A new-to-me 3/8" air ratchet for my new air compressor and it works great! I thought it would push the air compressor's limits much more than it actually does. Thanks Buddy! It made my day!

MdRBar7.jpg

Ah man, you cleaned it up didn't you, that didn't even cross my mind, I should have thought of that! I see you switched out the ARO210 style air tip to the industrial style, it's kind of weird around here what I run into, the majority of shops use the type of air tip that I had on it, but once in awhile I ran into a place that uses your style, so I always had an adapter with me too.... Don't need it now though since I'm not working in the shop environment. It worked great when I had it, I didn't expect anything less! Have fun with it man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Ah man, you cleaned it up didn't you, that didn't even cross my mind, I should have thought of that! I see you switched out the ARO210 style air tip to the industrial style, it's kind of weird around here what I run into, the majority of shops use the type of air tip that I had on it, but once in awhile I ran into a place that uses your style, so I always had an adapter with me too.... Don't need it now though since I'm not working in the shop environment. It worked great when I had it, I didn't expect anything less! Have fun with it man

Yeah, I did a little cleanup because that's what I do, can't help it. I'm not a tool polisher but I'm a little OCD so I clean the dirt and grime off of my tools often...my co-workers make fun of my because I'm the only one that they've ever seen that cleans their soldering iron tip-cleaner brass sponge holder(they seriously need a better name for that).

I didn't really have a fitting preference so I just went with the style that matched what my Goodyear air hose had on it from the factory. I see the ARO210 on most mechanics' tools around here also, I have a few friends that are professional mechanics so I'll just pass that along since you don't need it. Thanks again, I'm super stoked to use it!

• Like 1

• ChrisK pinned this topic

I wasn't aware you had cookies on your bench, are they chocolate chip? Wait a tic, those don't look very appetizing. Who is playing tricks on me here dang it? [emoji3]

I will be buying more M12...... Milwaulkee has cornered the market,in my opinion ....... But go yellow in 20 volt [emoji39]

• Like 2

On 3/29/2016 at 2:51 PM, StrippedScrew said:

Not a tool per say but A book about Tools, Hand tools that is :)

8OWW6zPl.jpg

this guy is truly  dedicated to wood working that if for sure.......

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kruton said:

Nothing too exciting. Just some new tools for the bathroom remodel. I think a third of my budget for this renovation was for tools! 8c01f5e21545cafe3f1b135248e3df0e.jpg78eef62ba96a5bbfb5f2f054c539371c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nice haul Kruton, let us know what you think of that new belt sander, just watched the review Dan and Eric did on it this morning 

• Like 1

Nice haul Kruton, let us know what you think of that new belt sander, just watched the review Dan and Eric did on it this morning 

I had been eyeballing it but had yet to pull the trigger. After I saw Dan and Eric's video and the blog writeup I thought I would give it a try.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk