How much profit does Snap On make from their tool boxes?

DR99

Come on 21 grand for a tool box? Tons of new cars cost less than a damn tool box. I know I have ranted before but seriously its just painted sheet metal. I guess I'm just tired off seeing guys trying to sell them on Facebook because they got in over their head. I follow a few tool trading/buying/selling groups.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=storage&item_ID=651333&group_ID=683705&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Yeah Jasonc, I can totally understand trying to keep up with the jones, NOT! Unless you just hit the lottery, there is no way people should be paying that kind of money for painted sheet metal with a brand name. That's crazy, invest in your tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was talking to a mechanic who has a Mac box. It's gorgeous and he paid almost 10k for it. Two levels, lights, stereo, power....my Dewalt box works fine for me but it's full of small woodworking tools and SOME wrenches, pliers and screwdriver (mostly for woodworking) I ain't no mechanic with a fortune of fine mechanical tools so.....

my part time job is at a autobody and paint shop and when I first started in 2008 man u had to buy a snap on to be part of the cool guys and I spent about $800 on a 5drawer roll box because I didn't have many tools to start off with I still have but for the money spent on that one I could've bought 2 husky 52 inch boxes now I know the quality of the snap ons are nice but not 10k or even 1k now for that fact if a newbie comes into the shop im going to point him to the Milwaukee or husky boxes and tell him to buy more tools instead

• Like 4

I've said it before, their slogan was " there is a difference" and there sure was about three times the price........snap on marketing is incredible for being able to knock this off for so long, I don't care if you are a first year mechanic or a veteran of 50 years if you think Snap on tools are the best out there and you are investing in /snap on to do your job then your just part of a bunch of guys paying to much.....

I personally worked for a very large company with many divisions with millwrights, machinists class A mechanics and heavy equipment mechanics that got by without snap on for decades and they did just fine......

disclaimer: I in no way work for any other tool company.......Snap on make some good tools they just charge to much for them and their boxes are no different.....

I've said it before, their slogan was " there is a difference" and there sure was about three times the price........snap on marketing is incredible for being able to knock this off for so long, I don't care if you are a first year mechanic or a veteran of 50 years if you think Snap on tools are the best out there and you are investing in /snap on to do your job then your just part of a bunch of guys paying to much.....

I personally worked for a very large company with many divisions with millwrights, machinists class A mechanics and heavy equipment mechanics that got by without snap on for decades and they did just fine......

disclaimer: I in no way work for any other tool company.......Snap on make some good tools they just charge to much for them and their boxes are no different.....

The problem is they sell the Snapcrack at a huge discount when your in school, so you can justify the cost. Once you graduate though your screwed paying some crazy prices for the tools. People talk about the warranty being the big reason. Every hand tool pretty much has a lifetime warranty now. Then people say well the Snapon guy will exchange it out right away. I hear that is happening less and less with easy warranty claims because the Snap On guy only wants to sell high dollar new tools and not build a relationship with a person. Plus my thing is why pay triple when you could get a lesser brand and have 3 of the same thing? That's my thought on the matter.

The problem is they sell the Snapcrack at a huge discount when your in school, so you can justify the cost. Once you graduate though your screwed paying some crazy prices for the tools. People talk about the warranty being the big reason. Every hand tool pretty much has a lifetime warranty now. Then people say well the Snapon guy will exchange it out right away. I hear that is happening less and less with easy warranty claims because the Snap On guy only wants to sell high dollar new tools and not build a relationship with a person. Plus my thing is why pay triple when you could get a lesser brand and have 3 of the same thing? That's my thought on the matter.

I agree, didn't know they offered a discount for trade school students but it makes sense get em while they are naive. but seriously I've seen problems with the "snap -on guy" back in the late 70's when I started in the shop the senior guys would talk about horror stories at coffee break and run and hide when they seen the truck. the other thing they would do is give lots of credit....on the spot so guys would be inclined to grab the tool off the truck and worry about paying later. I think I told this story before when I became the lead hand in the shop where the snap on guy would show up and some guys would be out on the truck during working hours, I told the guy come back at 4:30 to do his business and not at lunch.......

Yep fast easy credit when your young and dumb can be a bad thing. Especially when it comes to tools and wanting to outdo your buddies. It's the guy competition thing. I would just say I might use sears sockets, but I can buy a new car or truck or other toys when I want to.

ya I seen many guys that wouldn't listen go and rack up thousands of dollars in credit for tools then get laid off......snap on guy where is so in so .......haha he's laid off and by the way he worked here he didn't live here....so if you didn't get all his info don't know what to say.....let's put it this way the company paid for tools for us but you were on your own with snap on...... 

Look at this shit. Yes the kid is 18 but don't tell me that he was coerced into agreeing to these crazy terms. At 18 your an adult, but mentally you have a long way to go life experience wise. The kid was only making 8 bucks an hour he could never repay that amount of money in a reasonable time. Besides how many tools do you need for a lube tech? http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/snap-on-tools-snap-on-credit/libertyville-illinois-60048/snap-on-tools-snap-on-credit-beware-of-snap-on-guys-and-your-young-kids-working-at-oil-c-456704#comment_3

No one forced anyone to buy anything. Your "buddies", if you can call them that, are more responsible for the peer pressure IMHO. Not to be overly harsh but a fool and his money are soon separated and if it wasn't Snap On doing the separating then it would be someone else doing it. There are worse things in life than overpaying for tools. It will be a valuable lesson learned one way or another. It really only makes sense to pay a premium for tools if they are really better quality, superior technology, and or they are the only ones available to do the job due to patents or specialty... A Knipex Pliers Wrench comes to mind.  Metal tool boxes and most of Snap On's big sellers are practically commodity items these days so much of it doesn't make sense for their prices. At least with tools you can sell them though, its not like a divorce where you have to pay half of everything you own to get out of the deal ;) If anything even the trade schools should concentrate on some business and money management classes before students even pick up a wench because failed businesses and people in debt for bad decisions help no one.

That all being said I think Snap On is good quality but still priced above what they probably should be but they wouldn't do it if they couldn't command the price. It is sad that they are cashing in on the name like Jasonc mentions which makes me think they aren't as healthy financially as they could be.

SnapOn company is a total ripoff, just like Apple is. I found out that it costs 20 bucks for Apple to make an Iphone, yet they charge a huge markup ripping off the customer. 500 dollars, I could buy a dam computer for that! And that 50,000 dollar bleeping toolchest Snapon makes, probably only costs them 500 to make.

Yeah no offense but Apple doesn't make any iPhones for $20. Their ARM CPU's alone probably cost that much and they design their own so they even have tons of R&D buried in those costs too. There are many financial sites that put out BOM's, build of materials, and iPhones tend to run about $150-$180 to build but still that doesn't take marketing, distribution, software costs (Apple doesn't get free software like Android hardware makers do - they have to roll their own) and R&D into the costs. It's only what all the pieces cost and maybe some assembly. Apple's margins tend to be consistently around 40-45%, healthy to be sure but not 1000% either. Apple adds lots of their own IP to their products like their proprietary OS and software and their in-house CPU designs which you can't get anywhere else.

The problem with Snap On is they don't seem to add anything you can't get elsewhere cheaper. Their boxes are the same metal as any other box and their tools for the most part aren't really unique and it's questionable if they are better quality for the prices they command.

• Like 1