Poll, Are Multi-Speeds Necessary on Impact Drivers?

PutnamEco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive found with my makita impact driver and my milwaukee impact driver that finding certain trigger finger postions will give me about 5 consistant speeds. knowing this personally i feel that variable speed is more of a diy or construction paced feature.Possibly handy for work were you either dont know your tool well enough or you dont have the time to check all of your work. also if you have to check to see if you stripped a screw or if youve sunk a screw too deep .

• 6 months later...

I think it could go either way, and voted as such.  I will say that the speed / power setting is nice with an 18v impactor because you can dial it donw so to speak and really limit the torque and impacts in the item allowing you to almost use it like a 12v (My Milwaukee Fuel Impact has the three settings).  This is really nice when doing fine work when you are lazy and dont fell like getting a different tool.

For example, when I'm using this for work, I fasten into plastic and metal on automobiles where over torquing would be bad a bad thing. When I install say a tonneau cover onto a truck bed with several bolts nuts. I would be able to accurately torque the each of the small screws with mode 1 to the same spec, and all bolts with mode 2. Impacts and rotations of 1600in/lbs can be slowed to roughly 40% on mode 1, and 65-70% on mode 2 giving the user more accuracy.

For example, when I'm using this for work, I fasten into plastic and metal on automobiles where over torquing would be bad a bad thing. When I install say a tonneau cover onto a truck bed with several bolts nuts. I would be able to accurately torque the each of the small screws with mode 1 to the same spec, and all bolts with mode 2. Impacts and rotations of 1600in/lbs can be slowed to roughly 40% on mode 1, and 65-70% on mode 2 giving the user more accuracy.

Zorotools.com a 40% off EVERYTHING +Free Shipping sale on cyber Monday last year. The free shipping included lift gate delivery if needed. I got $400 worth of Proto stuff for under $250. If they do it again this year I will max out my credit card in a heartbeat, lol. There were people ordering $3,000 items and getting them for $1800 including lift gate service. You can't beat that. They have an enormous selection of stuff too. They're affiliated with Grainger only cheaper prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still alittle uneasy on the brushless tools. I will wait alittle yet!

The brusless tools are nice and you should have no reservations about investing in them. The technology has been around for years, it's just only been recently adapted to power tools. The only thing about them is that they are not as great an improvement over the brushed models as they would like you to believe. 

Yup Conductor is right on both counts. Wayne Burgess swear by his 4 pole Metabo tools but I've got two brush less 18v and they are really nice tools. I wouldn't shy away from them but clearly brushed tools are still doing pretty well. Look at Makita's new hammer drill. Torques and speed stats are pretty darn impressive and its got brushes (4 pole design)