#worldsfirst

Kenneth Denmark

7 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

I know Bosch and Makita both have a line of production tools used in defence/Aerospace industries/ car manufacture.

These tools all have extreme exact torque settings. 

These tools are very expensive :P  

I think that's the issue; either they don't have he capacity to be that accurate on a consumer level priced product or they just don't want to for some reason. Could be liability fears too that if it is supposed to be 100 ft/lbs of torque to a bolt and it's not 100% accurate and your lug nuts fly off your F150 throwing you in a ditch you might be contacting big Red's legal team. Who knows...

1 hour ago, JerryNY said:

I think that's the issue; either they don't have he capacity to be that accurate on a consumer level priced product or they just don't want to for some reason. Could be liability fears too that if it is supposed to be 100 ft/lbs of torque to a bolt and it's not 100% accurate and your lug nuts fly off your F150 throwing you in a ditch you might be contacting big Red's legal team. Who knows...

It's mostly qc and calibration.  Assembly tools go through frequent routine maintenance but some mechanic could drop their tool and end up with loose lugnuts or something.

14 hours ago, MikeInCtown said:

Unless there is some magic involved, either battery can only run one tool at a time. You may think that the new battery can run two tools because one is a higher voltage but in reality if the other company has the same tools that run on the same battery then it's a wash and you get zero benefit other than the marketing of higher voltage.

Bruhh. One Milwaukee battery at $199 can run one tool at once at 9ah. Two Dewalt Flexvolt battery at $199 can run two tools at once totaling combined 12ah. You can also charge one battery before the other dies meaning no downtime in comparison to Milwaukee 9ah. This isn't magic, David Blaine isn't hiding behind the curtain... it's common sense. 

• Like 1

How many bare tools can I buy while you buy batteries, since we are all already invested in existing systems. My existing batteries can run new M18 tools, 9.0 would just be better. 

We will see where the dust settles price-wise when all of these hit the market. As of now Milwaukee's 9.0 and 6.0 have been 12.5 months of vaporware. The 2-pack of 6.0 FlexVolt is 199. The single is 149. It's not a stretch of the imagination that the 9.0 will also be 199. Also not a stretch that both it and the M18 will be priced more competitively in packs of multiples; like many other packs on the market. 

As it stands, I'm eager for a 20vMax brushless circ to hit market for those that want it, just like I'm waiting for M18 OPE rather than buying 40vMax DeWalt: buying tools is fun, buying batteries is expensive and less fun.

If the miter saw is just a cordless 780 then I'll likely get it down the road, I've been pushing off a miter purchase for ages and this one seems more utilitarian than the M18 model. 

The table saw would have to be better than a Bosch for me to show interest. Also somewhat humorous seeing a "joist drill" that looks like a 70s hole hawg rather than the modern hole hawg which is pretty much all I've ever seen on site.

If the grinder and recip have no glaring issues then I'm sure they'll be home runs. The idea of a 60vMax battery on a drill, etc. is just as laughable on the Dewalt as a 9.0 on a Milwaukee. I thought I saw a picture of a non-FlexVolt 20v 6.0 but can't recall if that was my imagination or not. I hope it wasn't. 

• Like 1

How many bare tools can I buy while you buy batteries, since we are all already invested in existing systems. My existing batteries can run new M18 tools, 9.0 would just be better. 

We will see where the dust settles price-wise when all of these hit the market. As of now Milwaukee's 9.0 and 6.0 have been 12.5 months of vaporware. The 2-pack of 6.0 FlexVolt is 199. The single is 149. It's not a stretch of the imagination that the 9.0 will also be 199. Also not a stretch that both it and the M18 will be priced more competitively in packs of multiples; like many other packs on the market. 

As it stands, I'm eager for a 20vMax brushless circ to hit market for those that want it, just like I'm waiting for M18 OPE rather than buying 40vMax DeWalt: buying tools is fun, buying batteries is expensive and less fun.

If the miter saw is just a cordless 780 then I'll likely get it down the road, I've been pushing off a miter purchase for ages and this one seems more utilitarian than the M18 model. 

The table saw would have to be better than a Bosch for me to show interest. Also somewhat humorous seeing a "joist drill" that looks like a 70s hole hawg rather than the modern hole hawg which is pretty much all I've ever seen on site.

If the grinder and recip have no glaring issues then I'm sure they'll be home runs. The idea of a 60vMax battery on a drill, etc. is just as laughable on the Dewalt as a 9.0 on a Milwaukee. I thought I saw a picture of a non-FlexVolt 20v 6.0 but can't recall if that was my imagination or not. I hope it wasn't. 

Good points, I've used Milwaukee hole hawg corded drills many times for my work(the one that looks just like the new dewalt joist drill) and am disappointed they didn't have any better ideas than that. There isn't much leverage when drilling with a big bit to keep the tool from wrenching from your grip. The longer right angle drills such as the super hawg are a way better design because the longer body gives you increased leverage to hold onto the tool better with less effort. Regardless, even though both drills are aimed at my specific line of work, I have no interest in them since finding the carbide tipped big hawg hole saws, using in my regular drill. I have a cordless hole hawg if need be for tight quarters but I've found many ways to get around such a scenario.

I am interested in the grinder though, but first need to know how it stacks up against the metabo.

For me too, buying tools is fun, buying batteries is expensive ?

Am still interested seeing what is coming down the pipeline....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Bruhh. One Milwaukee battery at $199 can run one tool at once at 9ah. Two Dewalt Flexvolt battery at $199 can run two tools at once totaling combined 12ah. You can also charge one battery before the other dies meaning no downtime in comparison to Milwaukee 9ah. This isn't magic, David Blaine isn't hiding behind the curtain... it's common sense. 

Ah I see. You are implying that someone will be purchasing a two pack of DeWalt batteries while only purchasing a single Milwaukee battery.

BTW, what makes you think those tools Milwaukee showed with the 9.0 battery won't be able to run on the 5.0 batteries? Those same batteries that people all over the US already have in their posession. Because I'm pretty sure that if companies have been able to come out with tools like a weed whacker that will run on a 3.0 or 4.0 battery that a milwaukee tool can run on a 5.0 battery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeInCtown said:

BTW, what makes you think those tools Milwaukee showed with the 9.0 battery won't be able to run on the 5.0 batteries? Those same batteries that people all over the US already have in their posession. Because I'm pretty sure that if companies have been able to come out with tools like a weed whacker that will run on a 3.0 or 4.0 battery that a milwaukee tool can run on a 5.0 battery.

They'll run on any battery, but in some cases the power is limited with a smaller battery.  They're claiming same performance with a 5.0 and 9.0, but I doubt that because it would mean a performance cut to 9.0 not a boost to 5.0.  Reps have consistently said that there is a performance drop with compact batteries though.

10 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

They'll run on any battery, but in some cases the power is limited with a smaller battery.  They're claiming same performance with a 5.0 and 9.0, but I doubt that because it would mean a performance cut to 9.0 not a boost to 5.0.  Reps have consistently said that there is a performance drop with compact batteries though.

I think it has to do with the number of cells in the pack. The more cells the lower the internal resistance. Technically the 9 amp pack should have less internal resistance than a 4-5-6 too but they might have chosen to just let the pack run cooler and not push the performance envelop and take full advantage of the lower resistance. In the miter saw demo the Milwaukee rep did say it would run on a 2.0 compact pack but with less performance. I didn't hear the same said about the blower or string trimmer but it's probably the same situation. 

25 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

What people don't understand is that just because a battery might be 9.0 doesn't mean that any give power tool motor is going to draw more current with that battery. It just means hat battery has more energy stored. The wire and electronics in it are still only going to let it discharge at a given rate and the tool/motor circuitry can only use a limited amount of power. So a 5.0 and a 9.0 battery may give the tool the same wattage it desires, but the 5.0 battery will last roughly half as long as the 9.0 battery before needing to be recharged.

Oh, and yes Jerry is correct. More cells equals less power draw out of each cell at any given moment. So on a very high amp draw tool, the more cells there are, the higher current the battery should be able to output. (again subject to wiring and electronics limitations)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeInCtown said:

What people don't understand is that just because a battery might be 9.0 doesn't mean that any give power tool motor is going to draw more current with that battery. It just means hat battery has more energy stored. The wire and electronics in it are still only going to let it discharge at a given rate and the tool/motor circuitry can only use a limited amount of power. So a 5.0 and a 9.0 battery may give the tool the same wattage it desires, but the 5.0 battery will last roughly half as long as the 9.0 battery before needing to be recharged.

Oh, and yes Jerry is correct. More cells equals less power draw out of each cell at any given moment. So on a very high amp draw tool, the more cells there are, the higher current the battery should be able to output. (again subject to wiring and electronics limitations)

I recall they had already designed into tools like the circular saws and grinders to use more current if the battery allowed and that the 9.0 battery would now supply that higher current.  It just sounds like they designed to account for all those things, especially with the power output of some of those tools from the symposium.

5 hours ago, Craigh9916 said:

Cop tool have just put lots of good dewalt videos on you tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea they did, thanks for that. Man the video of that circular saw...that thing cuts fast as hell...I don't even know if my wormdrive would plow that stacked paneling like that. 

Yea they did, thanks for that. Man the video of that circular saw...that thing cuts fast as hell...I don't even know if my wormdrive would plow that stacked paneling like that. 

Yeah I know a few of you lot from America don't like the blade on the right hand side but in Europe that's the way we have them and there is some plus sides to that

1. The crap doesn't go all over you

2. If your right handed you would usually have the stock timber on the left side and the off cut on the right hand side and this means the larger part of the base sits on the stock which is better when you've passed through your cut as the saw stays on the stock and keeps flat.

The only down side is you have to rely on the notch at the front of the base to follow the cut line as you struggle to see the blade

• Like 2

By far most of my circular saw use has been with blade right saws, so used to it. I agree that having the base over the stock piece is preferable. 

do agree that the left blade versions offer better visibility of the cut, however. Can't have it all, I guess.

• Like 1

It depends though how you cut it, with my blade left I use my left hand to support the piece I am cutting off, the bulk of the saw is weighted on the clamped down board in the jaw horse, I understand the debate but if you position yourself and the saw you can achieve the same result

Jimbo

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Craigh9916 said:

Yeah I know a few of you lot from America don't like the blade on the right hand side but in Europe that's the way we have them and there is some plus sides to that

1. The crap doesn't go all over you

2. If your right handed you would usually have the stock timber on the left side and the off cut on the right hand side and this means the larger part of the base sits on the stock which is better when you've passed through your cut as the saw stays on the stock and keeps flat.

The only down side is you have to rely on the notch at the front of the base to follow the cut line as you struggle to see the blade

I see the advantages, but cutting with a blade left and the workpiece on your right means walking along the side instead of awkwardly leaning over a sheet of plywood, and for ripping the sheet lengthwise you just can't reach over it.  I just wish they made the dust output on the right so it didn't go onto you.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Jeez, you girls and your sawdust. 

Lol well regardless of the mess, it's the health concerns w sawdust that bother me. As construction workers how often do we see people cutting wood, concrete, drywall, etc. without any type of respiratory protection, unless you could breathing through a cigarette all day. 

I see the advantages, but cutting with a blade left and the workpiece on your right means walking along the side instead of awkwardly leaning over a sheet of plywood, and for ripping the sheet lengthwise you just can't reach over it.  I just wish they made the dust output on the right so it didn't go onto you.

Yes a dust outlet would be good

3 hours ago, Bremon said:

Lol well regardless of the mess, it's the health concerns w sawdust that bother me. As construction workers how often do we see people cutting wood, concrete, drywall, etc. without any type of respiratory protection, unless you could breathing through a cigarette all day. 

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?  Nothing near as bad as taking an angle grinder with a flap wheel to fiber glass though.  Dust is a serious problem.

Oh Man! I would love a cordless tracksaw, in fact I am in the market for a tracksaw to cut down sheet goods in the garage, to get material in to my basement workshop eaiser. 

And also affordable right? Festool and mafell makes one, buuut......

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1