#worldsfirst

Kenneth Denmark

11 hours ago, kentcatlett said:

All the hype for this. Another battery platform? What about the 40v OPE stuff that just came out last year, is that going away?  Should I return my oil leaking, battery killing,no power having chainsaw I just bought? Yes I was doing that anyway. So I guess we are not getting a good 20v brushless recip saw, which is what I was hoping for more then  anything else. Oh well. The area light and the threaded rod cutter does look interesting. The press tool is a definate for me. But all and all kind of a let down, I see the 60v stuff going the way of the 36 volt stuff  especially if the price is too high. I also wasn't impressed with the milwaukee show either, I mean how many lights do you need?

Welcome to the forum Kent.  The 40v lineup is specifically designed for their outdoor stuff so it's going to stay and continue to develop. I just read in interesting post on toolyguyd where Stuart specifically speaks on the matter. Hope this helps dude!

• Like 1

I am disappointed there was no 20v tools released or concepts shown.

Where is the 20v 18ga nailer already!? I am already bummed the 20v 16ga angled finish nailer is not as strong as the old 18v unit.

That and Porter Cable today released 3 new 20v nailers on their platform! Come on DeWalt, this is ridiculous.

• Like 1

$499.00 For 1 light and a battery I guess that's a bargain if you have no power where you are working. But then again you will need a ton of batteries going if you have no power to recharge your batteries. Or you buy a generator and light the whole job site up. 

• Like 3

Looks like they tried to undercut Milwaukee prices, the miter saw has a hefty tag, table saw price isn't bad but odd blade size. Light is nuts for that price, I thought 299 was nuts for milwaukees beacon looking light

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Turner85 said:

I'm scared to even think of the cost in europe. I'm guessing close to double them dollar prices. Dcf887 is €190 bare tool at the moment 

You can say that again Im guessing €500 minimum for some of the new stuff. We always get shafted in Ireland. 

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Looks like they tried to undercut Milwaukee prices, the miter saw has a hefty tag, table saw price isn't bad but odd blade size. Light is nuts for that price, I thought 299 was nuts for milwaukees beacon looking light

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The miter saw is a cordless or corded DWS780 which is $600 retail. The price is solid. 

Agree on the table saw, not going to 10in was a mistake as well as keeping it 60v instead of 120v. I would expect them to have an upgrade before long to make up for this once sales aren't what they were expecting. 

The light isn't nuts exactly. It's a cordless bright area light ( say $300 value). It's a battery charger ($79), stackable, chainable, extra outlet, compact, bluetooth, adjustable brightness...there's a lot going on there functionality wise. The Milwaukee trueview for comparisons sake is 2000 lumens, less than a third as powerful and focus beamed instead of 360.  

• Like 1

People who are saying "I'm still waiting on a 20v brushless recip and circ saw"... The new 60v recip and circ are brushless and while they run on the 60v battery, you can still use those 60v batteries in your other 20v tools. So the only down fall is you have to buy new batteries when you get these new brushless saws. But those batteries will work in your other tools. So there really isn't a big problem in my opinion. The 60v batteries are retailing for $10 more than the 5.0 20v batteries, so you can almost consider these new saws part of your 20v system (almost). You also get a lot more power than the Fuel.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Gatorb888 said:

People who are saying "I'm still waiting on a 20v brushless recip and circ saw"... The new 60v recip and circ are brushless and while they run on the 60v battery, you can still use those 60v batteries in your other 20v tools. So the only down fall is you have to buy new batteries when you get these new brushless saws. But those batteries will work in your other tools. So there really isn't a big problem in my opinion. The 60v batteries are retailing for $10 more than the 5.0 20v batteries, so you can almost consider these new saws part of your 20v system (almost). You also get a lot more power than the Fuel.

That's how I see it, but at the same time those tools should be released on 20v as well. No reason not to have both things going for obvious reasons, if 20v is powerful enough to have it, make it. Some don't need 60v power more less the added cost. Others like ourselves look forward to essentially extending the 20v line beyond it's capability for those few tools we need and can't have. 

• Like 1

Sure but 1 battery costs almost what the tool does. and what good is having 1 battery when it dies. So now ur spending another $200 on batteries just to upgrade one of your (probably already existing) tools because none of your other 5+ batteries will work in it. I can see that for a big bad specialty tool but not a recip or circ saw. 

I'm tempted on the Dewalt Miter Saw  $799 for the saw and accessories is a really nice price they might even have some launch promo's to make the deal even sweeter. The Fuel is a nice saw and much more compact and weights a little bit less I like the option of running off AC power though and a full 12" slider. I figure i can get some good money out of my Bosch saw it looks brand new basically.

So the cost of 2 of the new Flexvolt batteries. Firm pass. 

I wonder how the runtime thought is going to be on the flex volts, I saw the 2 pack for 199 that's not bad really, the stuff isn't priced too terrible really, couple things like I said that sliding miter kit for 749 a little hefty but I'd rather take a corded

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, MikeInCtown said:

First, those corded tools that were passed down cost a bunch of money back in the day. You might sit there and think well he paid $100 for it and now they are $200, but you don't realize that the $100 back then might be worth $350 today. As far as today's cost, you need to weight the benefits. A compact impact driver to me is well worth the $200 price tag if I can program it like I can, and I can crawl under a car withouta cord, or change a tire on the side of the road with it, or grab the tool and go from location to location without coiling up a cord every 5 minutes. Time is money. The last three times I've used my compact impact at work I would guess I saved myself well over an hour in labor just by not needing to constantly move or coil an extension cord. That time saved already paid for any extra cost of the impact, and that is only a month into ownership.

Those old tools are also far heavier than the ones on the market today, which means you may fatigue faster and get less work done. They are also corded so you need to have electric available where you are working. so that means extra time spent running cords, the cost of a temporary panel, or cost of a portable generator. You also look more professional if you aren't asking your client where you can plug in your stuff.

As far as batteries, DeWalt is still selling their old 18V packs that they used in the drills 20 years back. Hell i still got one! never use it though because it is so slow and underpowered compared to today's models. Still, even if they stopped producing the batteries, you can still buy the Sub C cells and repair them yourself.

I do see your point though in having some corded tools. High draw high use tools are better off being corded. For the majority of a lot of people though, both professional and homeowner, cordless is a far better choice for most needs.

You brought up some great points that I agree with. Especially when it comes to drills. I'd take a cordless M18 Fuel Drill/Driver over a corded most of the time, if not, all the time. The same can be said for the new lights (Especially the Milwaukee and the new DeWalt coming out soon). These cordless lights are super bright, give off less heat and they don't take up another spot on the power strip. There are many great reasons to have cordless tools. Portability and Convenience being on the top of my list.

The only cordless tools that I can't justify purchasing for myself are large miter saws or table saws (The exception being the DeWalt 7-1/4" 20V Max Miter because of how portable and light it is). To me, these are more stationary tools. Once lugged to a jobsite, they are usually kept in the same place. Miter saw is usually reserved for finish work anyway where power is available. 

For $400, I could get a really great DeWalt DWS709 and it would last for a very long time. 

I just look at how everything is going nowadays with such a throw away economy. Where everything is made of plastic and lithium and wonder how long will these last? Yes, I still have some very old Makita/DeWalt drills that still kind of work, but that's okay with me. Buying a new cordless drill every 5 to 7 years is not that big a deal. Where it becomes an issue is that I don't want to buy a new Miter Saw every so often, or a new table saw, or a planer, or jointer, or blah blah blah.

I'm not hating on cordless, I love cordless. I know this is a DeWalt thread, but Milwaukee Fuel is what I have invested myself in. I encourage these companies to continue to produce more powerful cordless tools. It just makes it better for the industry and for all of us as a whole. I just had to put the brakes on myself because I was heavily bitten by the Milwaukee marketing campaign and found myself wanting to go entirely cordless but when I really think about it, why would I really need a cordless 10" miter when my 12" corded miter has been doing a perfect job for the last 15 years?. Ah it's probably just a budget issue for me and I'm positive that a cordless 10" miter is a god send for folks out there. 

bottomline: cordless tools are awesome, but don't overlook the corded tools that are out there. (until they make a cordless wormdrive, lol)

• Like 1

Just now, DR99 said:

The thing you have to consider $199 for only 4ah on a 60v tool.

And you have to consider that it's 12amps for a 20v tool. Your point? It's a better value than the 9ah. It's more flexible than the 9ah because I can run two tools while the 9ah can only run one.

There's no debate here. The dewalt batteries are a better value.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The light isn't nuts exactly. It's a cordless bright area light ( say $300 value). It's a battery charger ($79), stackable, chainable, extra outlet, compact, bluetooth, adjustable brightness...there's a lot going on there functionality wise. The Milwaukee trueview for comparisons sake is 2000 lumens, less than a third as powerful and focus beamed instead of 360.  

I thought the pumpkin is 4400 lumens? Also looks to be more compact. Hopefully having similar products competing drives down prices for both teams.

At the prices you guys are mentioning FlexVolt definitely seems a better deal than M18 9.0. That said its been easy to find 2 packs of 5.0s here for $200 Canadian, so ideally the 9.0 hits the wild around $150 Canadian or so. 

So was the event purely for the flex volt or will we see news on the new 20V additions?

Proto hand tools, toolboxes, Porter cable brushless drill, different things under the Stanley b&d umbrella. Check out the TIA periscopes for stuff now or probably few videos going up soon

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1