#worldsfirst

Kenneth Denmark

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

I thought the pumpkin is 4400 lumens? Also looks to be more compact. Hopefully having similar products competing drives down prices for both teams.

At the prices you guys are mentioning FlexVolt definitely seems a better deal than M18 9.0. That said its been easy to find 2 packs of 5.0s here for $200 Canadian, so ideally the 9.0 hits the wild around $150 Canadian or so. 

Have no idea what the "pumpkin" is. Have a link or anything? I tried searching and found what I mentioned in the $250-$300 range so I used it for comparison. 

I know that none of this new stuff from DeWalt will make it into my tool box. None of these tools will help increase my production or make my job any easier.  I'm getting ready to replace my 780 miter saw so I was waiting to see what they were coming out with. Looks like it is going to be replaced with a Kapex.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

I am disappointed there was no 20v tools released or concepts shown.

Where is the 20v 18ga nailer already!? I am already bummed the 20v 16ga angled finish nailer is not as strong as the old 18v unit.

That and Porter Cable today released 3 new 20v nailers on their platform! Come on DeWalt, this is ridiculous.

You do realize PC and dewalt r both stanley black and Decker right

You do realize PC and dewalt r both stanley black and Decker right

Yes, that should be common knowledge here in the depth of tool discussion. What is your point? The fact they are both are housed under one company yet DeWalt doesn't have nailers out and Porter-Cable does seems like a problem for DeWalt to me. Everyone has nailers now, but DeWalt. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Looks like they tried to undercut Milwaukee prices, the miter saw has a hefty tag, table saw price isn't bad but odd blade size. Light is nuts for that price, I thought 299 was nuts for milwaukees beacon looking light

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's kinda crazy how these tool companies are pushing upmarket with their lights and it's pretty obvious Milwaukee and Dewalt are targeting large corporate accounts with many of them. They both must have some big market research that there is a big demand for these job site lights and maybe there're lighting safety requirements coming down the pike that they are trying to get ahead of.

8 hours ago, StrippedScrew said:

You can say that again Im guessing €500 minimum for some of the new stuff. We always get shafted in Ireland. 

Sure the bluetooth batteries were around the €200 mark aswell. So these flexvolt will be more than that

On June 21, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Hugh Jass said:

9ah is literally too much IMO. A case could be made for the SCMS, Table Saw, Grinder, and the SDS hammer drill, but again, I'd rather half two half's than a whole myself. By the time you furnish enough batteries at that amperage to overcome the charge times and lack of ability to operate 2 separate tools at once when needed, I could buy a house in St. Croix. 

Well I agree somewhat but it's always nice to have the option for a bigger pack. But yeah I think the 9amp pack wasn't an accident for Milwaukee. It's intended purpose is for largish stationary (miter saw) and brutish two handed workhorses that are already heavy so the added bulk won't be noticeable like an SDS hammer, hole hang and maybe a grinder which can never have enough Ah's. They aren't intended to be used on a compact impact or other one handed tools. That being said Milwaukee's push into outdoor power tools was going to require either a new 40v platform OR a big ass 9 Ah pack. They chose the latter for simplicity and backwards compatibility.

I think Dewalt approached the same problem from a different angle. They already had outdoor 40v packs and didn't want to share that with its regular power tools because they are generally too big and incompatible which would piss people off. They really needed a bigger pack for a 12" miter and 3x40v was going to be super awkward so they made the flexvolt system to get to the magic 120v with only two batteries. This is important because obviously it let them make the saw mains capable with that adapter and no matter how you slice it, no pun intended, a 12' saw running off battery is going to be a HUGE battery drainer. I suspect most of these saws will spend the majority of their life hooked up to an outlet anyway and that's ok. Brushless motors are great for this because a 120v brushless motor for all intents and purposes IS AN A/C MOTOR so besides maybe some extra line voltage filtering to smooth things out runs exactly the same on battery or A/C. (Personally I think the 60v part of their new system solely exists to get 120v out of two batteries) Hats off to a somewhat elegant solution from Dewalt. In some ways Milwaukees 9Ah strategy is simpler and more elegant and Dewalt's is much more complicated but elegant in other ways. It's all good, progress in the tech makes for better tools for all. 

• Like 3

maybe @ GATORb888

or anybody that can comment constuctively

==> what is the reason / background that the new flexvolt batteries do not have bluetooth functionality

when introducing such a product should they not have this ??

there were so many advantages listed on the 20v max release of bluetooth batt

(and the app,etc. is already there!)

34 minutes ago, midogrumpy said:

maybe @ GATORb888

==> what is the reason / background that the new flexvolt batteries do not have bluetooth functionality

Could be many reasons. Cost might be a factor; the multiple voltage circuitry might be complicated and add cost making it an even more costly and complicated to add he BT module, also it might have meant that they needed to make the BT module multi voltage too. They might not have confidence in BT right now as being a feature many really desire. I just think they already were introducing very new technology and didn't want to complicate the battery more than they needed and add extra cost to an already expensive battery. BT isn't critical to the new system working and they could always add it later if demand is there. Right now the 20/40/60v switching is the star of the show so why dilute the message with non critical add ons that don't really enhance power or runtime. 

1 hour ago, midogrumpy said:

maybe @ GATORb888

It probably not that constructive but honestly both the dewalt and milwaukee smart batteries are a gimmick and the fact that they didn't include it in the new platforms shows that. If it was a really useful new feature that was winning lots of sales and contractors were crying out for they would have found a way to include it even if it would have required a bit of extra R and D, it isn't so they didn't bother

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

And you have to consider that it's 12amps for a 20v tool. Your point? It's a better value than the 9ah. It's more flexible than the 9ah because I can run two tools while the 9ah can only run one.

There's no debate here. The dewalt batteries are a better value.  

Unless there is some magic involved, either battery can only run one tool at a time. You may think that the new battery can run two tools because one is a higher voltage but in reality if the other company has the same tools that run on the same battery then it's a wash and you get zero benefit other than the marketing of higher voltage.

And you have to consider that it's 12amps for a 20v tool. Your point? It's a better value than the 9ah. It's more flexible than the 9ah because I can run two tools while the 9ah can only run one.

There's no debate here. The dewalt batteries are a better value.  

Yes and runtime shouldn't be any issue as in most cases one will be charged before the other is flat in the real world , they are better value as they can be used on two platforms

It probably not that constructive but honestly both the dewalt and milwaukee smart batteries are a gimmick and the fact that they didn't include it in the new platforms shows that. If it was a really useful new feature that was winning lots of sales and contractors were crying out for they would have found a way to include it even if it would have required a bit of extra R and D, it isn't so they didn't bother

The whole Bluetooth thing in batteries doesn't appeal to me in anyway as all I want to know is how much charge my battery has in it and pressing the button on the back is good enough for me I'm not fussed how many cycles it's done or disabling the battery incase someone tries to use it ! What I would like to see is a bit like one key where you could type in the exact torque of an impact driver so if you had to do head bolts up to an exact torque then you could enter say " 50nm" and the impact would be exactly 50nm that would be useful

• Like 1

Unfortunately that's not how One Key works currently. It's just a sliding scale between low power and high, not specific torque values, which makes it not a whole lot more useful than preset button settings. I was going to get the One Key version of the 3/8" compact impact but the price was 33% more for bare tool than the "No Key" version and it's improved control meant I didn't need to feather the trigger as much. Thanks but no thanks. 

Im skeptical that we will see anything more specific from any manufacturer. They would need a matrix where you could input metrics like bolt grade, size, thread pitch, etc. I would think. 

As as far as FlexVolt is concerned, I would rather see less expensive batteries over higher priced versions w Bluetooth 

• Like 1