Craigslist Scam?

Surfer (aka Nalu)

So I haven't had much time in the shop so I decided to put up my Bosch MRC23EVSK Fixed/Plunge Router Combo on Craigslist.

I received a response the same day although I found it to be a little suspicious:

<buyer>

I viewed the ad . Do you still have it for sale .. Hope it is in good condition  .. How much will you let it go for ?
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tls/5910136389.html

<me>

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it's still for sale.

Price is Firm on $200.

It's a really awesome router and it's in very great condition. 

<buyer>

$200 sounds good for it .. It looks clean and worth the offer .. I am willing to pay for it .. Lets proceed 

<me>

I am located in Kalihi.

I can meet with you

Monday - Friday

between

9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. at my workplace.

260 Kalihi St.

Honolulu, HI 96819

If you'd prefer, I can also meet you somewhere else, I'm very flexible with my schedule.

Let me know what works best for you

<buyer>

ok .. i will be sending a carrier to come for the pick up at your location .. All expense paid by me .. i can only issue a cashier's check and i can wait till the check is being cashed and clears before the carrier would come pick it up at your location .. 
i hope we can proceed with the payment?

<me>

Just to be clear.

You will be sending a carrier along with a cashiers check?

If so, I will call the bank of which the cashiers check was issued.

If all is clear, I will give the carrier the Bosch Router.

At what date and time may I expect the carrier to arrive?

<buyer>

The check will rather be mailed out to your address via USPS ahead of time .. You will deposit it at your bank for clearance so when the money is credited in your account then we may further proceed with the pick up arrangement .. ok

Email me your details to issue and send the check to your mailing address via courier? 

Full name that will be written on the check & the full mailing address where it will be sent to?

Including your mobile phone number ..

I await the details soon ..

<me>

Sounds good.

Nalu Rash

260 Kalihi St.

Honolulu, HI 96819

Cell: (808) ***-****

<buyer>

I got your details .. I will let you know when the check is mailed out to your address tomorrow ..
I need inform you of other household items which is due to be picked up within the states plus the Bosch router  which i am getting from you .. so the shipping funds of this items will be included on the payment sent .. i will be compensating you with extra fifty for your trust and understanding .. 
please reserve it for me and take off the post from the site .. I will keep you posted once the payment is sent out ..ok

<me>

I'm sorry, this is sounding like a scam to me.

I will not be selling you the router.

Has this happened to any of the crew? Was I being overly suspicious? What are your thoughts, I'd love to hear from the crew

(If any of the crew is interested in buying it, I'll sell it for $160 free shipping. I'll create a formal post in the swap meet section)

• Like 2

I mean...I thought I was pretty good about finding scammers...but this guy had me for awhile. As you can see I gave him my name, workplace address and phone number. I had this funny feeling and decided to call the whole thing off.

Good to hear that I made the right choice

• Like 1

Yup definitely a scam! I recently put my dads Tonneau cover for sale on CL. After two days of being posted a guy texted him (the post said calls only) that he was interested. After a couple back and forths he said something very similar. He was sending a cashiers check and after the check clears he will send a company to come pick up the cover. Well after about a month, no check. 

I am not a fan of craigslist at all! I try to avoid it at all costs! If you have to use it, I say put calls only and if they text you, something is fishy right off the bat. You definitely made the right chose.

• Like 1

I would be willing to say it's a scam.

If I do a local deal an I don't know you it's cash an cary first come first served. If it easily fits in my truck I wont meet at my house. I will meet down the street at a gas station or somewhere during the daytime. I also won't do it if it seems to good to be true or doesn't make sense. 

It's impossible to stop all scams or crimes but i do what I can to reduce my risk.

When I lived in Chicago surburbs I stopped using Craigslist. I then used a local buy sell group on Facebook. The fb sale group I was on worked better then Craigslist. 

I now live in Utah an use KSL. It's a local news channels online classifieds. It's much bigger then the local craigslist. Scams are less often I think, but still there. I am also on a local Facebook sales group. 

I don't sell tools to often, and when I do it doesn't take much for me to back out of a deal.....in saying that the deal has to be on my terms 100% or I go into a shell like a turtle.....if you are putting things for sale on a such a public venue such as the internet.......expect the scammers and time wasters to come out of the woodwork.....your item your sale your terms.

when I have something for sale I reply asking for a contact number phone or text, if they are serious they will give it to you. I then call or text them and get a good or bad vibe if I want to give more info out. If not I move on no biggie no loss. 

I didn't even read the whole thing and I can tell you it's a scam. I often get bored and replay to these scammers and waste their time and resources. They send forged checks from out of state for more than the item asking you to send the extra money via MoneyGram to the "freight company" for pickup of said item. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

• Like 1

This is just another reason why this forum is great.

Thanks crew for all the responses and I hope that it will help others that are reading this as well.

I think I'm gonna stay away from Craigslist and deal "In Person and Cash Only" terms.

Although I am now selling the router here in the forums, lol. But you can trust me......trust me....muahahahaha

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, RickyMcGrath said:

I didn't even read the whole thing and I can tell you it's a scam. I often get bored and replay to these scammers and waste their time and resources. They send forged checks from out of state for more than the item asking you to send the extra money via MoneyGram to the "freight company" for pickup of said item. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Exactly, the wording wasn't quite right, then this threw up the red flag immediately:

i will be sending a carrier to come for the pick up at your location .. All expense paid by me .. i can only issue a cashier's check and i can wait till the check is being cashed and clears before the carrier would come pick it up at your location .. 

Been here and got this same statement, and like Comp said, cash only, my house.

• Like 1

I have never purchased from craigslist. If I were to sell tools it would be face to face via a friend or work, on ebay or with tia. I trust friends, work, and tia. Would be hard to get scammed by trustworthy people. Ebay and tia are secure because I can use paypal.

Definitely a scam. 

The way that banks work nowadays is that money is electronically credited to you right away when you deposit a "bank check" as long as the information on the check is correct.  It then can take 3-5 days for the actual charge to make it through the system, bounce because the source account has no money in it and then the funds are backed out.  

The net result is that the money appears in your account and stays there for a couple of days. During this time, the scammer gets your goods and then the money disappears.

I buy and sell stuff on CL occasionally, but only deal in cash and only if they're willing to meet at a bank or a police station.  Its amazing how many people will back out when you give them these conditions.

On 12/13/2016 at 4:53 PM, comp56 said:

what a joke, when I sell something it is in person at my house in cash the rest can dream..........DELETE!

Yes, Scam.  I can't stand these mother fu**ers.  I hate people who try to rip off an honest person because they are to lazy to get out there and work.  I do the same thing.  When i sell something, I meet them at my house.  Sometimes down the street at the store.  Sorry for my little rant, but I can't stand these people who rip off people.  We need to bring back public hangings.  I will be more than happy to tie the rope, grab some popcorn and pull the lever.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Eric - TIA said:

Yes, Scam.  I can't stand these mother fu**ers.  I hate people who try to rip off an honest person because they are to lazy to get out there and work.  I do the same thing.  When i sell something, I meet them at my house.  Sometimes down the street at the store.  Sorry for my little rant, but I can't stand these people who rip off people.  We need to bring back public hangings.  I will be more than happy to tie the rope, grab some popcorn and pull the lever.

None of us can. There is nothing that ticks me off more then scammers who make up these stories to get you to try and feel bad for them. If they don't go by my terms the deal is off.

• Like 1

I can only say the only kind of scamming we did when we were younger was if we seen an old parts car/truck or something that caught our eye we would drive by and come back a little later in separate vehicles.....one of us would get there first and talk to the person selling it asking them stupid questions about it how long have ya had it, blah blah how much he was willing to sell it for ect ect....then the second guy would show up, usually me and get out start looking around the vehicle but not saying nothing just listening and pretending we didn't know each other........then my buddy would say so you won't take any less than $850?......I would take that in and walk around some more and then say I don't want to step on anyone's toes but I will give you  $450 cash right now.... my buddy would say that he would better that and give him $500 cash......I would wait a minute or two and say na I'm not going to pay any more than that it's not worth it and as I was looking back at the vehicle would walk to my truck and leave......I bet 8 times out of 10 we would get it for the $500........

• Like 3

On 12/13/2016 at 2:43 PM, Surfer (aka Nalu) said:

So I haven't had much time in the shop so I decided to put up my Bosch MRC23EVSK Fixed/Plunge Router Combo on Craigslist.

I received a response the same day although I found it to be a little suspicious:

<buyer>

I viewed the ad . Do you still have it for sale .. Hope it is in good condition  .. How much will you let it go for ?
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tls/5910136389.html

<me>

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it's still for sale.

Price is Firm on $200.

It's a really awesome router and it's in very great condition. 

<buyer>

$200 sounds good for it .. It looks clean and worth the offer .. I am willing to pay for it .. Lets proceed 

<me>

I am located in Kalihi.

I can meet with you

Monday - Friday

between

9:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. at my workplace.

260 Kalihi St.

Honolulu, HI 96819

If you'd prefer, I can also meet you somewhere else, I'm very flexible with my schedule.

Let me know what works best for you

<buyer>

ok .. i will be sending a carrier to come for the pick up at your location .. All expense paid by me .. i can only issue a cashier's check and i can wait till the check is being cashed and clears before the carrier would come pick it up at your location .. 
i hope we can proceed with the payment?

<me>

Just to be clear.

You will be sending a carrier along with a cashiers check?

If so, I will call the bank of which the cashiers check was issued.

If all is clear, I will give the carrier the Bosch Router.

At what date and time may I expect the carrier to arrive?

<buyer>

The check will rather be mailed out to your address via USPS ahead of time .. You will deposit it at your bank for clearance so when the money is credited in your account then we may further proceed with the pick up arrangement .. ok

Email me your details to issue and send the check to your mailing address via courier? 

Full name that will be written on the check & the full mailing address where it will be sent to?

Including your mobile phone number ..

I await the details soon ..

<me>

Sounds good.

Nalu Rash

260 Kalihi St.

Honolulu, HI 96819

Cell: (808) ***-****

<buyer>

I got your details .. I will let you know when the check is mailed out to your address tomorrow ..
I need inform you of other household items which is due to be picked up within the states plus the Bosch router  which i am getting from you .. so the shipping funds of this items will be included on the payment sent .. i will be compensating you with extra fifty for your trust and understanding .. 
please reserve it for me and take off the post from the site .. I will keep you posted once the payment is sent out ..ok

<me>

I'm sorry, this is sounding like a scam to me.

I will not be selling you the router.

Has this happened to any of the crew? Was I being overly suspicious? What are your thoughts, I'd love to hear from the crew

(If any of the crew is interested in buying it, I'll sell it for $160 free shipping. I'll create a formal post in the swap meet section)

Definite scam dude. Run from this one and report the guy to Craigs list too 

• Like 1