The Christmas Haul 2016

Conductor562

15 minutes ago, justinkendall said:

My brother was nice enough to get me a Milwaukee Surge since I've been eyeing it ever since they were announced. 

15665547_10157900899185175_8804806447407517934_n.jpg

I ended up hitting up Acme Tools website last night with the money I received. $175 later I have the following items headed my way.

Dead On Tools Utility Pouch

Milwaukee PH2/SQ2 Double Ended Bit

Milwaukee SQ2/T25 Double Ended Bit

Milwaukee 2PC Demolition Screwdrivers w/ Steel Caps

8" Black Cable Ties (100pk)

Southwire GFCI Receptacle Tester

Southwire Autoranging Multimeter

Southwire Compact Stripper/Cutter

Southwire SIMPULL Fish Tape 100'

I'm going to see why everyone on Instagram is fawning over Southwire like they are the best thing in the world.

They just got a hold of a bunch of accounts and sent them free stuff (myself included) and started really blasting the feeds with stuff to promote their brand. I like the meters, but the hand tools don't compare to others out there...

• Like 2

Christmas was mostly cash or gift cards because I'm not easy to shop for. People could take guesses at tools but the only one who could actually get me tools and know I don't have them is my brother. He picked me up a Makita XDT111 kit since I don't have a 18v impact driver and wanted to get into a new battery line up.

eb4bbadfb850200614f4d38eeb375393.jpg

I turned the cash and gift cards (except the Petco one) into new tools. I picked up a Makita XOB01Z cordless sander, a 2.0 Makita 18v battery, ear plugs, double-ended Makita impact bits, and a pair of Dewalt Concealer safety goggles.

I was planning on getting the Milwaukee cut out tool and their corded random orbit sander, but didn't want to spend more than I had received and Acme Tools had a $25 Makita coupon that made it a better decision. I can walk into Home Depot and pickup the cutout tool any day and I don't really need it at the moment like I do a sander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

They just got a hold of a bunch of accounts and sent them free stuff (myself included) and started really blasting the feeds with stuff to promote their brand. I like the meters, but the hand tools don't compare to others out there...

I figured as much.

• Like 1

My brother was nice enough to get me a Milwaukee Surge since I've been eyeing it ever since they were announced. 

15665547_10157900899185175_8804806447407517934_n.jpg

I ended up hitting up Acme Tools website last night with the money I received. $175 later I have the following items headed my way.

Dead On Tools Utility Pouch

Milwaukee PH2/SQ2 Double Ended Bit

Milwaukee SQ2/T25 Double Ended Bit

Milwaukee 2PC Demolition Screwdrivers w/ Steel Caps

8" Black Cable Ties (100pk)

Southwire GFCI Receptacle Tester

Southwire Autoranging Multimeter

Southwire Compact Stripper/Cutter

Southwire SIMPULL Fish Tape 100'

I'm going to see why everyone on Instagram is fawning over Southwire like they are the best thing in the world.

There you are Justin! Good little haul there! The south wire meters have also been tempting me. But ideal has my heart on the gfci tester front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those caulk savers look great.

A little Plumbers putty in a tube of caulking works great as well. 

I've heard of that one, like sterco I do the ol rooking nail in the tip, if your concerned about seal you can wrap the nail in nylon tape

• Like 1

Yeah @adelectric got a bunch of stuff recently. This is on top of the first little wave they sent him. I would agree on the hand tools, but I'm interested in the fish tapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 12/24/2016 at 5:43 PM, comp56 said:

as much as I want to open up new tools christmas morning I don't get any cause they all are to worried if I need it or not or if I have it or not....I told them anything over $1000 cuts down the chances I have it and most likely will cut down the chances I don't need it.....they just laugh.......lol

all you gotta say is get anything yellow or blue because they know your a red guy haha

On 12/25/2016 at 0:12 PM, DaveJr. said:

IMG_4066.JPG

That looks exactly like one of my Christmas presents. 

Also added the 20v circular saw and the Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander (plus a couple gift cards to HD). Not sure yet if I'm keeping the sander or returning it for a shiny new brad nailer that'd probably get more use... Nice little haul either way!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Here's a shot of the Startingline set. Still haven't gotten the Sander or the Drill Doctor out of the boxes yet. I spent the entire day assembling toys and still ain't done ?

IMG_6786.JPG

Nice kit there Cman what size tips do that kit come with? Make sure u pick up a couple of spray gun filters bro

• Like 1

After 2 days of putting all the kids shit together, I finally got to dig the good stuff out and play a bit.

The Eastwood bench sander is exactly the same as the Ryobi and several other models available. I liked the Eastwood better because it isn't lime green. There isn't any lime in my shop, but there is a lot of blue.

IMG_6808.JPG

It's the bee's knees for beveling edges in metal.

IMG_6809.JPG

I used my HD gift card for 2 packages of 6" discs and 4 belts, both in 80 and 120 grit, so I should be set for awhile. 

• Like 2

Also got the Drill Doctor out today. Didn't have time to play with it, but it seems nice. The 750X is their top model and will handle most of my sharpening needs. Higher quality bits are too damn expensive to replace every time they get dull.

IMG_6803.JPG

IMG_6804.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

There isn't a lot of difference between the 750X and the 500X. Both will do 115 and 135 degree angles, both do split points (both important). The 750 comes with a blow molded case (which I wasn't concerned with) and has adjustable material take off (again not a real concern). The biggest advantage to the 750X for me was that it comes standard with the larger chuck that allows it to do up to 3/4". The 500X does only up to 1/2" unless you buy the 3/4" chuck and if you do, you have more invested in it than you would the 750X and still have no case or material adjustments. 

Now that I think about it, I'm not real sure why they even offer the 500X ?

• Like 3

After 2 days of putting all the kids shit together, I finally got to dig the good stuff out and play a bit.

The Eastwood bench sander is exactly the same as the Ryobi and several other models available. I liked the Eastwood better because it isn't lime green. There isn't any lime in my shop, but there is a lot of blue.

IMG_6808.JPG

It's the bee's knees for beveling edges in metal.

IMG_6809.JPG

I used my HD gift card for 2 packages of 6" discs and 4 belts, both in 80 and 120 grit, so I should be set for awhile. 

I never realized how useful a bench sander was until I got the rikon bench sander, I'd like to ad the RIDGID oscillating bench sander too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Also got the Drill Doctor out today. Didn't have time to play with it, but it seems nice. The 750X is their top model and will handle most of my sharpening needs. Higher quality bits are too damn expensive to replace every time they get dull.

IMG_6803.JPG

IMG_6804.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

There isn't a lot of difference between the 750X and the 500X. Both will do 115 and 135 degree angles, both do split points (both important). The 750 comes with a blow molded case (which I wasn't concerned with) and has adjustable material take off (again not a real concern). The biggest advantage to the 750X for me was that it comes standard with the larger chuck that allows it to do up to 3/4". The 500X does only up to 1/2" unless you buy the 3/4" chuck and if you do, you have more invested in it than you would the 750X and still have no case or material adjustments. 

Now that I think about it, I'm not real sure why they even offer the 500X ?

Please let us know how you like it, I've heard varying reports of effectiveness on GJ but it would be nice to hear from someone that is intelligent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Please let us know how you like it, I've heard varying reports of effectiveness on GJ but it would be nice to hear from someone that is intelligent.

When I get to play with it I will give a full report

• Like 1

Sorry I was busy but here is what I got tool related . wera 6 piece screw driver set , 1/2 plomb 5449 , 5249 3/8 drive ,Williams wrenches plomb , billings and more. Got to clean the Rusty ones still . makita brushless xag03 4 1/2, little knife kit , little funnel and gopro hero 4 for my YouTube channel . I will make a post in future about wrenches after they all get cleaned . hope y'all had a great Christmas :) 

20161228_204830.jpg

20161228_204835.jpg

20161228_204913.jpg

20161228_204911.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Sorry I was busy but here is what I got tool related . wera 6 piece screw driver set , 1/2 plomb 5449 , 5249 3/8 drive ,Williams wrenches plomb , billings and more. Got to clean the Rusty ones still . makita brushless xag03 4 1/2, little knife kit , little funnel and gopro hero 4 for my YouTube channel . I will make a post in future about wrenches after they all get cleaned . hope y'all had a great Christmas :) 

20161228_204830.jpg

20161228_204835.jpg

20161228_204913.jpg

20161228_204911.jpg

You have good taste. 

I have a 5449 in pebble grain, however, it is stamped Proto and not Plomb. It's one of only 2 or 3 I have ever seen. 

I also have a 3/4" lawsuit ratchet in pebble grain. That one was a gift from Todd Werts and it's one of my most charished possessions ?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

You have good taste. 

I have a 5449 in pebble grain, however, it is stamped Proto and not Plomb. It's one of only 2 or 3 I have ever seen. 

I also have a 3/4" lawsuit ratchet in pebble grain. That one was a gift from Todd Werts and it's one of my most charished possessions ?

I have the 5449 1/2 proto lol thanks man it sounds like u do too :) is the plomb version of the 5449 hard to find

25 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

I have the 5449 1/2 proto lol thanks man it sounds like u do too :) is the plomb version of the 5449 hard to find

Not really, but they are getting a little harder to find. 

5449 Proto's aren't hard to find, there are millions of them. The Plomb pebble grain tools like your ratchet (flat stamped section with the pebble design) came out shortly after WWII, possibly even as early as late 1945, and died off for the most part, by the Proto change over in 1950. My ratchet is pebble grain, but it says Proto instead of Plomb:

IMG_6815.JPG

This is a pretty rare configuration and a lot of people aren't even aware they exist. They are out there, but they aren't exactly a dime a dozen. I'd kill for a 3 piece set, but I'll not hold my breath as all 3 that I've ever seen were in 1/2".

Another less rare but still unusual configuration is a Wright Field style rat stamped Proto. The top ratchet is a traditional Plomb WF-38, millions of which were produced for the war effort. The bottom ratchet is a WF-38 style ratchet, but it's stamped Proto instead. It's odd because the WF rats were synonymous with wartime production, but Proto wouldn't exist until around 5 years after the war ended.

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

They theory is that the military maintained the contract spec up through the Korean War in obviously much smaller quantities, but we don't really have a definitive explanation for why this ratchet exist.

As you get further into Plomb/Proto you'll find that the tools of the late 40's and early 50's provide a lot more questions than answers. You'll find pebble grain lawsuit ratchets, but you'll also find them with the modern style round handle, it's really all over the place. If nothing else, It'll be enough to keep you searching for shit you probably won't find ?

• Like 2

Sorry I was busy but here is what I got tool related . wera 6 piece screw driver set , 1/2 plomb 5449 , 5249 3/8 drive ,Williams wrenches plomb , billings and more. Got to clean the Rusty ones still . makita brushless xag03 4 1/2, little knife kit , little funnel and gopro hero 4 for my YouTube channel . I will make a post in future about wrenches after they all get cleaned . hope y'all had a great Christmas [emoji4] 

20161228_204830.jpg

20161228_204835.jpg

20161228_204913.jpg

20161228_204911.jpg

Looks like they shortened the grinder from first one, Love the screwdrivers too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1