New Guy and shop tour.

rrmccabe

Just signed up !  I might have had an account with a previous tool company I was with but not sure. Was talking to my friend John (TugNut1) tonight and he brought me this way.

I am a wood guy, steel guy and car guy....

None of this plays well together but I am finally getting it set up. Trying to keep the metal to one corner of shop and the woodworking stuff to the other end.  I also have got some duplicate items like drill press etc so I dont get cross contamination of products. Nothing worse than gouging a nice chunk of wood with a metal shaving or staining it with oil from steel.

So here are a few pictures and descriptions along the way.

And want to say Hey to Dan and Eric.

So...

This is the steel end of the shop. Small Miller MIG, Fein steel saw, belt and disc sanders, jacks, jack-stands, steel vise, etc. This bench has two hitch receivers under it so I can slide in whatever tool I like in the receiver.  The vise is currently in one of them.

20170115_182948.jpg

The rest of steel stuff. Miller TIG, Jet steel bandsaw and drill press. Miller folding welding table behind TIG

20170115_183002.jpg

This is where I try to isolate wood from steel at the bolt bins.  To the left is my Festool Kapex saw. Its on a pull out slide and has FastCap extensions for fences that clip on in about 2 minutes. Bosch L-Boxx storage below bins for misc specialty stuff.

20170115_183018.jpg

To the left of the Kapex is shelving for misc tools, Ridgid belt/oscillating drum sander, wood measuring and squares (on wall), charging station for tools and toolbox full of hand tools. Wood clamps above.

20170115_183031.jpg

Center island work bench that gets used for everything. Its made from some old bank cabinets with 1.5" thick top. General purpose vise on this one. This bench gets used for most projects.  Wood projects, electrical projects, nitrous oxide upgrades :)

20170115_183236.jpg

Towards the other side of shop is my Grizzly table saw, custom built bench for my Festool table (sitting on top without legs), Festool systainers and Incra router lift. Pegboard doors in corner hold tools and have 3' deep shelves behind for material storage. Air compressor underneath.

20170115_183128.jpg

Grizzly Band Saw and shop fox drill press.

20170115_183202.jpg

This bench is for computer work and electrical for the most part and a place to pile tools when I run out of space during a project build.  The rolling cart underneath is something I just finished for my Dewalt planer. Has a flip top on it so I can rotate planer down to clear the bench. The other side (currently up) has a section of Festool MFT table from an old top that I can use dogs and clamp on.

20170115_183209.jpg

And looking back the other direction shows another view.  Yes, I have two man doors and both of them are blocked.  Not a great subject with the Mrs.

20170115_183219.jpg

Thanks for the invite John.

Rich

20170115_183139.jpg

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Just signed up !  I might have had an account with a previous tool company I was with but not sure. Was talking to my friend John (TugNut1) tonight and he brought me this way.

I am a wood guy, steel guy and car guy....

None of this plays well together but I am finally getting it set up. Trying to keep the metal to one corner of shop and the woodworking stuff to the other end.  I also have got some duplicate items like drill press etc so I dont get cross contamination of products. Nothing worse than gouging a nice chunk of wood with a metal shaving or staining it with oil from steel.

So here are a few pictures and descriptions along the way.

And want to say Hey to Dan and Eric.

So...

This is the steel end of the shop. Small Miller MIG, Fein steel saw, belt and disc sanders, jacks, jack-stands, steel vise, etc. This bench has two hitch receivers under it so I can slide in whatever tool I like in the receiver.  The vise is currently in one of them.

20170115_182948.jpg

The rest of steel stuff. Miller TIG, Jet steel bandsaw and drill press. Miller folding welding table behind TIG

20170115_183002.jpg

This is where I try to isolate wood from steel at the bolt bins.  To the left is my Festool Kapex saw. Its on a pull out slide and has FastCap extensions for fences that clip on in about 2 minutes. Bosch L-Boxx storage below bins for misc specialty stuff.

20170115_183018.jpg

To the left of the Kapex is shelving for misc tools, Ridgid belt/oscillating drum sander, wood measuring and squares (on wall), charging station for tools and toolbox full of hand tools. Wood clamps above.

20170115_183031.jpg

Center island work bench that gets used for everything. Its made from some old bank cabinets with 1.5" thick top. General purpose vise on this one. This bench gets used for most projects.  Wood projects, electrical projects, nitrous oxide upgrades :)

20170115_183236.jpg

Towards the other side of shop is my Grizzly table saw, custom built bench for my Festool table (sitting on top without legs), Festool systainers and Incra router lift. Pegboard doors in corner hold tools and have 3' deep shelves behind for material storage. Air compressor underneath.

20170115_183128.jpg

Grizzly Band Saw and shop fox drill press.

20170115_183202.jpg

This bench is for computer work and electrical for the most part and a place to pile tools when I run out of space during a project build.  The rolling cart underneath is something I just finished for my Dewalt planer. Has a flip top on it so I can rotate planer down to clear the bench. The other side (currently up) has a section of Festool MFT table from an old top that I can use dogs and clamp on.

20170115_183209.jpg

And looking back the other direction shows another view.  Yes, I have two man doors and both of them are blocked.  Not a great subject with the Mrs.

20170115_183219.jpg

Thanks for the invite John.

Rich

20170115_183139.jpg

Welcome aboard bro. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I work pretty hard at keeping it clean but spend a lot of time building places for things to go. If every tool has its place to hang or be put away then the cleanup goes so much faster. In previous years I spent most my time carrying stuff around figuring out where to pile it :)

I need to get dust collection for the wood area beyond what I have so it stays cleaner during projects. Just not in the cards right now.

@Jronman why are you surprised to see a computer? I am an IT guy so this is just built from misc parts. Mostly computers my customers decided not to fix and had me toss.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rrmccabe said:

Thanks guys.  I work pretty hard at keeping it clean but spend a lot of time building places for things to go. If every tool has its place to hang or be put away then the cleanup goes so much faster. In previous years I spent most my time carrying stuff around figuring out where to pile it :)

I need to get dust collection for the wood area beyond what I have so it stays cleaner during projects. Just not in the cards right now.

@Jronman why are you surprised to see a computer? I am an IT guy so this is just built from misc parts. Mostly computers my customers decided not to fix and had me toss.

I just notice you have the exact same set up as I do with my Kapex. I bought the Oneida system last year (haven't changed a bag since!)  and have been using the Bosch hose for a couple of years. It's way cheaper. I ended up cutting the hose down to maybe 4-5'? The dust collection on the saw is uncompromised but the shorter hose has helped even more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

@ChrisK The grey hose is actually a long festool hose but the larger one. Works well but I end up swapping hoses more than I like. I have thought about making a short Y section with blast gates right there but just need to save some money for dust collection.

Gotcha! I had at one point the 27mm then the 50mm and finally settled on the Bosch 32mm non anti static and paid $25 for it!

Yea if you can avoid Festool prices for something as simple as a hose then its the way to go. I dont mind paying for Festool quality but when I have to start shelling out $200 for a hose that's ridiculous.

So you are using the ultimate dust deputy?  What are they doing for grounding now? I was an early user and actually blew out a circuit board in my dust extractor.  Oneida stepped up and paid for the repair. I now have a copper tab going from inlet on the vac to inlet on the cyclone which ties in with the ground. They had a cheesy metal tape kit which was not going to last. My original cyclone was white and they replaced it with a black one to reduce static.

51 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Yea if you can avoid Festool prices for something as simple as a hose then its the way to go. I dont mind paying for Festool quality but when I have to start shelling out $200 for a hose that's ridiculous.

So you are using the ultimate dust deputy?  What are they doing for grounding now? I was an early user and actually blew out a circuit board in my dust extractor.  Oneida stepped up and paid for the repair. I now have a copper tab going from inlet on the vac to inlet on the cyclone which ties in with the ground. They had a cheesy metal tape kit which was not going to last. My original cyclone was white and they replaced it with a black one to reduce static.

The grounding sounds the same as what you said. I have a metal cable that hooks into the hose area and they provide an additional measure in the form of the metal tape. My only gripe is the tabs don't hold on my Midi clips so I am thinking about cutting the tabs a little deeper on the Oneida.  I did end up getting the new hose, cable combo and use that on all of my other Festool and keep the Bosch set up just for the Kapex. It works out great and it was really cheap. Having the Oneida is awesome, I really have not had to change a bag since I got it. I am going to get a CT26 in the near future with that 50 coupon plus a 100 gift card I have. Waiting till I finish the shop though and I have a while to go before that is done.

• Like 1

Woo Hoo!  Rich is here!

Great to have you back in the mix again....

For those of you who don't know Rich, he is extremely talented.  He built this incredible workbench a couple years ago that is just out of this world.  As a matter of fact, it was pretty much the inspiration for me to completely redo my bench this year.  He will be a great asset to this forum.  

Again....WOO HOO!

• Like 3

@tugnut1 Geez, make me blush buddy.  The shop is a labor of love. You know how that goes.

@ChrisK I hated the tape and if you take the fitting in and out those will eventually shear off. The Festool dust extractor will not hold up to static like a regular shop vac will so I did not want to take any risk.

Here are a few pictures of what I modified to make mine fit my needs. Your post was a good reminder to change something that bugs me so I just did that.

My original UDD kit came with a plastic elbo that allowed the house to go straight up.  The right angle is probably not the best for flow but it worked without issues.  When they sent my upgraded kit it had this metal elbo that fit poorly and when slightly bumped would fall out.

20170116_103651.jpg

So I went back to the right angle plastic elbo and drilled 4 holes around the perimeter and inserted studs thats are all interconnected with ground wire. One of them has a piece of copper strap on the inside for more surface area.

20170116_103819.jpg

To replace the tape on the actual cyclone I took a piece of copper plumbing tubing about 4" long and made a cut lengthwise. Then flattened it out with a hammer and formed it around the fitting with a couple tabs going over the top. Then connected the wire to the copper. The hose slides right over the copper. I left all the foil tape under the copper.

20170116_103439.jpg

No issues so far.  And like you I have dumped the UDD box about 10 times and have nothing in the bag.

Had a good conversation with John (Tugnut1) last night about dust collection and I might consider Oneida for the big system.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

@CATERPILLAR If you are talking about the grinder disc on the wall, A lot of those are from a source I just tried and had not used before.

Very pleased so far and the pricing is great.

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/coated-abrasives

Lol yes I have heard of the site before I am going to get next abrasives from them ;) thanks man 

• 2 weeks later...