Best Random Orbital Sander

EEtwidget

Im in the market for a random orbital sander, I think it will make refinishing the vanity project go much faster. I'm leaning towards the dewalt but I'm open to all brands. I don't know if I would ever really need variable speed, at least for woodworking applications, but working with other materials it might come in handy.

What do you guys think? Bosh, Crapsmen, Dewalt? Too many too choose from.

As always I am able to buy this tool because I did some side work. I only have about $100 to spend on the sander though.

I am a fan of the Bosch RO. The Makita is a pretty slick machine too. Although I love Milwaukee I've never used their sander. Believe it or not I have a Hitachi 5" RO too, that is a pretty slick machine. I bought it on Big Sky tools as a recond unit. As usual it appears and acts like a new machine (at least when I got it....not so new looking now). I paid $29!

• Like 1

I just bought the Bosch 5" ROS20VSK.

It's my first ROS, but after lots of research I went the Bosch over the Dewalt. That dust filter is amazing. I honestly don't feel the need to wear a mask or glasses unless I'm sanding above chest height. If this is high on your priority list, look no where else.

Check out this comparison that I found helpful.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/work-order-tracking/tool-test--5-inch-random-orbit-sanders_6.aspx

I have the makita without the variable speed. Like it a lot the only complaint is that the dust collector bag falls off too much during use, but that problem could be easily fixed. I remember reading about the porter cable winning best overall award in a comparison with other major brands

You know...if you want drop some BIG money get the Festool RO90. Massive quantities of material removal with it down to super finesse. Big bucks though. The link that Dwain provided is what I used when I bought my Hitachi. It's a really awesome RO but like everyone else, I'd go with the Bosch. I've got the RO90 with the Midi (Eric and Dan did an awesome review of those tools) and it simply cannot be beat. I also have the Metabo 3" SXE 400 too and it is an awesome tool too. Amazon sells the Metabo for $119 but it has a vac port and is a well made German machine.

I dont have money for the festool, wish I could go that route. Looks like I will be putting which ever sander I get to good use. We are going to sell our house and there is lots of work needed to get it in shape. The vanity project will be put on hold and Ill start knocking out some honey do's.

Im leaning towards the Bosh RO. The price is right and reviews are awesome. The Mikita is also in the running. I'll make a decision before the week is up.

I have the Ridgid R26011 and have no complaints. Ive used the Dewalt D26451K quite a bit as well but bought the Ridgid simply because it felt more comfortable in my hand. For the few extra dollars I would definitely buy a model with variable speed. As others have said it works well for sanding different materials but also simply for control of the sander. Sometimes your want to just go to town and rip down quite a bit while other times more finesse is needed and this keeps the sander from jumping around.