House Reno Underway......

comp56

Sorry haven't been around as much as I would like, been very busy restoring the house...... 1 room at a time, on my own schedule and budget.......thank god too as I have run into a few things that would have cost a fortune if I hired someone to do it for me.....each room is gutted to the studs so if needed: windows doors, insulation, drywall, electrical, flooring, trim ect ect 2 rooms down a few more to go....removing walls here and there opening it up at the same time......doing main floor first then second floor....basement is good 

main stair case was a bit to be desired, it had original wood (worn like little bums seats straight up the middle.....what do you want for over 100+ years) these stairs were covered by a few things over the years that I stripped out... now gonna show you how I'm redoing these with espresso stained black ash with white risers.........made the treads by putting 2 pieces together with a second strip on front to add bull nose....sanded, cut to size and then stain.....here is a before and then a couple stairs (not finished yet but you get the idea.......

1_5.jpg

2_5.jpg

4_3.jpg

3_4.jpg

• Like 2

thanks all.....as to black ash, love this stuff....with a good blade it cuts like butter, pleasant smell, sands and takes all kinds of stains and such.....

ya the only thing better would be move out for a while and do the reno without living in the house but that isn't practical. that is why just trying to do room by room.....thought I share my makeshift work platform I made from a couple racks I got from Target when they closed down......perfect for taping and mudding the ceiling.....probably taking a little longer than it should with mudding but I figured I went thru all the time and effort to level the entire ceiling may as well take my time with the joints as well

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0683.jpg

DSC_0685.jpg

DSC_0686.jpg

also the wall that the stair case is one is short so we decided to mount the TV and a wall mount fire place on that wall...I went ahead and wired all necessary cables in the wall up and over the ceiling and out behind the sofa so everything can be hidden in end tables so when you look at the TV/fireplace wall there will not be any wires visible

DSC_0681.jpg

You said it!! It's the last thing I want to do when I get home at the end of the day or on weekends

And that's why I never buy a car from a mechanic and like a dumb a$s I bought my house from a "CARPENTER". Nothing's straight and I've learned a lot because of it! For instance, the last thing...and I mean the LAST thing I want to do when I get home is take care of some kind of dispute with a neighbor or listen to somebody whine about some person or other and get barraged with what if questions!

And that's why I never buy a car from a mechanic and like a dumb a$s I bought my house from a "CARPENTER". Nothing's straight and I've learned a lot because of it! For instance, the last thing...and I mean the LAST thing I want to do when I get home is take care of some kind of dispute with a neighbor or listen to somebody whine about some person or other and get barraged with what if questions!

ya you would think it would be the opposite but it usually is not the case....