Compressor or move to Battery Operated?

taylorv1

I currently have a Husky 3 gallon compressor, and a 18 gauge Senco Finish Nailer. I was looking into possibly ditching the compressor and turning to Battery Operated Nail Guns? I am a woodworker, with my own small business. What are your guys thoughts? What brand Battery Operated Nail Guns would you recommend? Or, should I stick with a compressor? Thanks.

if your primer use is finish guns and you don't run bigger nailing guns or air tools, air sprayers then i would say ya get into the market of cordless finish nailers but always hold on to that compressor. i know a lot of people on here use the ryobi cordless finish guns and they love them, plus dewalt just announced their cordless finish gun. if you are going to stick with a compressor look in to Rol-air i have there airbuddy compressor and it is perfect for small jobs, inside work and punch list stuff plus it is really really quite.

Pete's right about hanging on to the compressor just in case.  I've used Ryobi's new guns and I've heard nothing but good things about them.  They are quite a bit larger than pneumatic nailers, so if you gotta get into really tight areas that is where your compressor and pneumatic gun will come in handy.

You could wait for the new ridgid 18v nailer to come out.  Bushless hyperdrive....

http://toolguyd.com/ridgid-hyperdrive-brushless-nailers/

Looks like there may be several new releases coming. Including porter cable 

https://twitter.com/rrescot/status/589146755125612546/photo/1

I know the last iteration of the 18v nailer from ridgid didn't get great reviews. I got one on clearance and it seems to work ok, but people (you know, the web collective) stated it was pretty finicky.

Maybe they evolution is coming soon

had a battery nailer took for ever hated it..stick with air .....get a good hose with good swivel unions I do a lot of upholstery with an air stapler......the bugger is a production model spittin out up to 15 staples a second.....in your case might not be a speed issue but I hate waiting....

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe start out with the Airstrike 18g brad nailer to see how you like it. It's the cheapest and one of the most liked battery operated models at just over $100, you can get a charger and battery all in for under $200. Use it a while in conjunction with the compressor and you can be your own best judge. If it doesn't measure up you have a nice nailer you can use in a pinch when not wanting to break out the air and not a huge amount invested in it. If you like it you can add more guns as you go.

I'm sorry but I've witnissed the operation of battery operated nailers and they have 2 faults from what I can see. 1, they don't drive a nail all the way, requiring you the tap the last bit in with a hand hammer, 2, they are slower then hell to nail. I could put 100 staples into wood in one minute with an air nailer, battery operated would take 10 times the time to put in 100 nails. Battery operated nailers are a gimmick and need to just go away lol. If you want a cordless nailer, try a pasload, I hear they are really good.

That's funny. I actually own an Airstrike 18g brad and I have to dial it back because it will put a 2" brad too deep if you let it... I've put probably 2k brads through mine so far and not a single time did I need a hammer to set a one. The thing is almost scary it's so consistent to be honest. The Airstrike is a bargain beast and on a 4.0 battery you'll be done before the tool is.

Also battery operated nailers today, most of them anyway, are air driven - hence Ryobi's moniker "Airstrike". The battery basically compresses a small charge that drives a piston essentially like a regular air nailer. The only difference is you carry a micro compressor with the tool. That's also why they are bulkier than air nailers too, but you don't have a hose pulling on your tool either which adds to the weight equation.

• Like 1

I wanna go cordless as far as nailers go, but until there is a cordless replacement for my Max CN565S coil/siding nailer, I'm stuck with using a compressor.

For finish nailers, truth be told, nothing shoots as nice as a pneumatic. I use a DeWALT cordless, but this is due to be replaced when their new model is available (next month). It's said to shoot up to 4 nails per second in bump mode!

Still, I have one eye looking on Senco's Fusion nailers and I spotted those today at my local hardware store, but I've seen some videos and it gets mixed reviews.

If your doing thousands of nails per day pneumatic is the way to go, if a few hundred or small jobs I think a cordless will work. If you change one door and have to drag a compressor out that sucks, I have to do it like because I only do trim work or doors once in a blue moon. 

If I were doing most or all of my work in a shop then I would most likely just stick with air.....all my projects are through out my home and there are times when I need minimal nail time so the battery gun would be convinent. I have been thinking about one lately too.

I use mostly pneumatic guns because you really can't beat the speed and reliability of them.. I run everything from flooring nailers, coil framing, stick framing, roofing, siding, palm nailers, Brad guns pin guns staplers etc... I do however keep a angled 16ga paslode cordless nailer in my trailer for quick jobs where it just doesn't make sense to drag out the compressor and hoses.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry but I've witnissed the operation of battery operated nailers and they have 2 faults from what I can see. 1, they don't drive a nail all the way, requiring you the tap the last bit in with a hand hammer, 2, they are slower then hell to nail. I could put 100 staples into wood in one minute with an air nailer, battery operated would take 10 times the time to put in 100 nails. Battery operated nailers are a gimmick and need to just go away lol. If you want a cordless nailer, try a pasload, I hear they are really good.

I can't speak for the brad nailer, but I have the Ryobi 18 gauge narrow crown stapler and it can drive the staple in all the way. Even sunken into the wood a litte if you wanted.