marking tools

PeteW

i am wonder how does everyone else label or write on their tools? i just got a new 6 1/2 fuel milwaukee circular saw and i am thinking of putting my Initials on it, it won't stop it from getting stolen but at least if i see the guy with it i can say hey thats mine! let me know how you guys mark or label your tools?

I use a sharpie most of the time. I know it comes right off with brake cleaner, but I put marks everywhere and in places you wouldn't notice.

I remember working for my dads electrical shop they had all wood ladders at the time. I would have to heat up a branding iron with the company name and brand all the ladders before coating them in linseed oil.

• Like 1

I use a sharpie most of the time. I know it comes right off with brake cleaner, but I put marks everywhere and in places you wouldn't notice.

I remember working for my dads electrical shop they had all wood ladders at the time. I would have to heat up a branding iron with the company name and brand all the ladders before coating them in linseed oil.

How long did it take you to coat one ladder, and did you reapply every year or just a one time thing?

How long did it take you to coat one ladder, and did you reapply every year or just a one time thing?

Its been so long but I think It took me around 2 hrs for a 10' ladder. We only did it as a one time coating , and then they slowly phased them out for fiberglass.

Register your tools! If somebody steals them...

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/1376-stolen-equipment/?hl=stolen

I wrote this for heavy equipment a while back but it applies to small equipment. My Festool too.s are all registered on Festools website where they offer a tool box so to speak with pertinent information. Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee all have similar benefits to joining their sites as does Dewalt. I'm sure others do too, I just know for a fact that these guys do. Don't use tape. Engraving is awesome. Make sure you take a "family photo" of your too.s in the event of theft or fire.

• Like 3

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/1376-stolen-equipment/?hl=stolen

I wrote this for heavy equipment a while back but it applies to small equipment. My Festool too.s are all registered on Festools website where they offer a tool box so to speak with pertinent information. Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee all have similar benefits to joining their sites as does Dewalt. I'm sure others do too, I just know for a fact that these guys do. Don't use tape. Engraving is awesome. Make sure you take a "family photo" of your too.s in the event of theft or fire.

Yep make sure you have proof of your tools so you don't get screwed by the insurance company.

Every new tool I get I take a picture as well as picture of the serial number and then I take a family shot of the drawer where it will be stored with the other tools. Since my tools do not go on the job site I never really thought about using some type of markings. Might be time to do that just in case.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

thats a great idea i need to get around to registering all my tools, plus cleaning and organizing them. i am hoping for some nice weather so i can go through all my tools.

I have had tools taken at jobsite over the years some of our guys have had their trucks cleared out. It's a horrible feeling! Don't take bread off of my table!!!

it really is, in May one of our framers had two large $300+ ladders taken, he called the cops, they took our info and basically said well you know whats next, we wont ever find them.

I engrave my tools at work with a pneumatic etcher, which works out pretty good. After I etch them I usually take a paint marker and write the same information in larger letters, which is easier to see.

A pneumatic etcher? Like a sand blaster? Do you have any pics of the etcher and the result of what it does? It sounds interesting, I am tempted to get one lol.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

it really is, in May one of our framers had two large $300+ ladders taken, he called the cops, they took our info and basically said well you know whats next, we wont ever find them.

That sucks. I've had an almost new 32 foot extension ladder $400 stolen by a General Contractor. I told him I was leaving the ladder here so I could come back after hes drywalled so I can hang the lights up. Almost two years go buy the homeowner calls and says come back I'm like what took so long, its a long story but she got rid of the GC. I was like where's my ladder at?? I guess its my fault but how was I suppose to know all this mess was going to happen.

• Like 1

when I was a kid I worked for my father in the summer, he ran a pretty big construction company and when he got new tools he would have me line them all up and take lime green safety spray paint and run a line right across them all........didn't look pretty but you could tell they were his tools from a mile away.......I could do it then but I couldn't do it now.......