What do u guys think of these discounted prices?

Bigmikez

Stopped by my HD today just to walk around and of course drool over my future tools and then I saw a table with some tools and a sign that said discounted price I said to myself hell yea!! But then when I looked at the prices they were asking for I was like WTF?!? And I don't k ow if u can really tell in the pics but the drills were in pretty shity shape I was super bummed I really thought I was gonna get a deal for the first time there....

CPO has recon M18 fuel tools cheaper than those prices right now. Plus they will probably be in better shape I bet the Milwaukee's were the original display tools.

the Makitas dint even come with batteries and the milwaukees had the smaller batteries man Jason I was lookin around I thought it was a joke. Lol
  • Like 1

That is crazy man. My HD is like that too. The clearance section there is usually just full of the blue Ryobi drills at prices that are way too high. I did get the Makita XT257M kit for $194 but I'm pretty sure that was a mistake. It had at least had the batteries, charger and case with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nothing worse than phantom stock on clearance items......my HD has to be the worst for this. 12 in stock regular $149 on for $23 ask anyone not a clue where they would be......every once in a blue moon ya get lucky .....

nothing worse than phantom stock on clearance items......my HD has to be the worst for this. 12 in stock regular $149 on for $23 ask anyone not a clue where they would be......every once in a blue moon ya get lucky .....

Same way at mine... Friends that worked at HD and Lowes tell me that employees sometimes do this so they can get a deal from the department manager when the item hasn't sold in a couple months.  A friend of mine got a A Bosch Gliding Miter saw for $250 after it was discontinued at his Lowes.  He got approval to mark it down $50 and then waited a couple months and offered $250 for it.  Knowing what I paid for mine... kinda makes me sick. lol

Aww poor Kruton! Here is a chocolate chip cookie to make you feel better, oh and here is a flashlight for you too lol

If they had any of those cordless miter saws I could use it to cut that cookie so we could all share it!

• Like 1

That would be so fun! OMG, I just thought of a new cooking show, staring Protoolnut and Kruton, we show how to cook using power tools! Hell yeah, I'd watch a show like that, wouldn't you? lol

That would be pretty cool. A cooking show using all power tools. Drills instead of mixers, cutting torches to heat things up, miter saw to slice bread. This has awesomeness written all over it.

• Like 1

I'm going to disagree that brick and mortar tool stores have to die. I think the problem they have is that too many of them try to sell the same cheap junk and outdo each other with lower prices.

Big box stores messed up the pro tool market in a big way. It used to be that if you worked in construction, you bought your tools through a dealer, if they weren't already provided to you by your employer. If you bought a Sawzall in 1980, you used it till at least 1995. There was one or two models of a given tool to choose from by the brand that catered to your trade and they were both good and they didn't change much over the next few years. Joe Homeowner went to Sears and bought a Craftsman. It was cheap junk in comparison.

Nowadays the brands are all out there fighting each other over Joe Homeowner as well as the whole slew of handymen, "general contractors" (aka guys with their own pickup and a registered LLC), true trade professionals and everybody else. One one hand I like the innovation that the new system has brought to tools. Tools have evolved enormously over the last 25-30 years. On the other hand, the general quality is down and it takes a lot more work to find a good tool now than it used to. And nowadays a "really good tool" may only give you 3-5 years of use instead of 10 or more.

What's needed, and what may be the saving grace for brick-and-mortar tool sellers is a curated model of tool sales where a store or chain of stores gains a reputation for doing the tests and reviews themselves and selling only the really solid models of various brands. If you knew you could go to Tradecraft (a made-up name...) and find the top three models of the tool you need, in stock, at a reasonable price, you'd probably be inclined to go there and even pay a little more than on Amazon just for that service and convenience. I know I would.