Saw Stop Demo

kruton

When I was growing up, I had so many uncles and cousins that were missing fingers that it wasn't even that unusual.  Kickback can happen even to experienced woodworkers - all it takes is a second of lost concentration, taking a shortcut, a stupid decision or even bad luck and your fleshy parts can get pulled into the blade, even if you're using a push stick.  Even if one of your acquaintances hasn't been injured by a table saw, it does happen and when it happens, it's bad.

Current generation saws with riving knives and blade guards notwithstanding, I won't use a table saw until I can afford a sawstop or a bosch;  I'm just too fond of my fingers.

I work on a 142" band saw in a butcher shop everyday and it comes down to knowing the tool your working with, how it behaves, how it reacts under old and its limitations. I've seen people trying to be a hero and so stupid things and get bit. Think about what your going to do before you do it and know where your fingers are.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like bosch's solution of the reax table saw better than the saw stop.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen how the Bosch setup works. Looks like I better head to youtube and check it out!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have never priced one of these saws but I was surprised that it was only $60 for a replacement of the mechanism.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It is $60 for the new cartridge and another $100-$200 to replace the blade you just destroyed. I have a sawstop pro and after replacing a couple Forrest WoodWorker II blades you become very aware of any and all metal in your wood and you stop cutting lumber that is wet at all. 

It is $60 for the new cartridge and another $100-$200 to replace the blade you just destroyed. I have a sawstop pro and after replacing a couple Forrest WoodWorker II blades you become very aware of any and all metal in your wood and you stop cutting lumber that is wet at all. 

Well that would explain why they aren't commonly used. I first heard of them like 6 years ago and I've wondered why everyone hasn't switched to them...this would explain it. I'm not a wood worker so this never crossed my mind.

Well that would explain why they aren't commonly used. I first heard of them like 6 years ago and I've wondered why everyone hasn't switched to them...this would explain it. I'm not a wood worker so this never crossed my mind.

They are more common then you think. Pretty much every school shop in the country, and pro woodworkers use them. They haven't broken into the contractors market much at all because price and precision it too high. You just don't need that level of precision on the job site. Bosch will do much better in that space but for furniture building and woodworking Sawstop and Powermatic are the two kings. And out of the box I like a more than powermatic, due to the dust collection, sliding table, and the safety.  I have the Sawstop professional it is awesome, I just want the sliding table accessory for it.  (

)

Sawstop is similar to Festool in that they make really nice but expensive. Some people will pay the extra because they want the creature comforts. Or because they are OCD and love woodworking but hate dust, like me.

I like the Bosch tech better specifically because it doesn't ruin your blade.  The only problem is that Bosch has only announced a contractor's saw so far.  There's no big, cabinet makers saw on the horizon.

Sawstop is also suing Bosch right now over their system. They are saying patents were infringed. I don't know the specific at the moment if the case is valid or not. If you look around there is alot of drama regarding Sawstop and their business practices. He just wanted to licence the technology but companies wouldn't but it because it would add too much cost to their table saws.

They are more common then you think. Pretty much every school shop in the country, and pro woodworkers use them. They haven't broken into the contractors market much at all because price and precision it too high. You just don't need that level of precision on the job site. Bosch will do much better in that space but for furniture building and woodworking Sawstop and Powermatic are the two kings. And out of the box I like a more than powermatic, due to the dust collection, sliding table, and the safety.  I have the Sawstop professional it is awesome, I just want the sliding table accessory for it.  (

)

Sawstop is similar to Festool in that they make really nice but expensive. Some people will pay the extra because they want the creature comforts. Or because they are OCD and love woodworking but hate dust, like me.

That's good to know, I must admit that I don't keep up with school shop and professional woodworking tool useage...but it certainly makes sense that they'd use them. I guess my expectation is that this would be a must-have safety feature by now.

Sawstop is also suing Bosch right now over their system. They are saying patents were infringed. I don't know the specific at the moment if the case is valid or not. If you look around there is alot of drama regarding Sawstop and their business practices. He just wanted to licence the technology but companies wouldn't but it because it would add too much cost to their table saws.

I wouldn't even consider buying a SAW STOP because the owner/developer is an ass. He patented the technology then began lobbying to make it mandatory that all saws incorporate his technology. All about licensing. He wanted to make a fortune without putting in the time and effort. Rely on congress to do his work for him.

• Like 1

the Bosch retracts the blade only and doesn't jam it so the blade is saved. I mean its not a big deal if it saves your finger but if its falsely set I wouldn't be too happy over losing a $200 blade and a new cartridge. Oh and the Bosch cartridge can be used two times instead of the one on the saw stop. Though the Bosch is $100 or $200 more which is surprising in that they are such a large corporation that you would expect them to try and beat saw stops price. Anyone know if the lawsuits are still on going or does Bosch have the ok to sell in the US?

I wouldn't even consider buying a SAW STOP because the owner/developer is an ass. He patented the technology then began lobbying to make it mandatory that all saws incorporate his technology. All about licensing. He wanted to make a fortune without putting in the time and effort. Rely on congress to do his work for him.

HAHA that's how I feel too, the guy is a patent lawyer as well so theres that too ;)

A slower electrical system to stop the saw would be much nicer so for wet wood and such you can just pull a lever and go back to cutting. I dont care if the saw disappears in a quarter turn or just stops in one. A slightly larger nick in your finger is cheaper to fix than replacing the cartridge particularly if you get more false alarms cause you dont run your hand through your table saw much.