DCN 660 REVIEWS

Hugh Jass

That was me Hugh. Still not been able to use it. Current projects don't allow for it. Can't help it.

You're that guy who'd be dating Scarlett Johansson but leave her at home while you go have a beer with the boys, aren't you? Jesus man get it together!!! lol. Killin' me...

You're that guy who'd be dating Scarlett Johansson but leave her at home while you go have a beer with the boys, aren't you? Jesus man get it together!!! lol. Killin' me...

No I am not. And wouldn't date Scarlet Johansson in the first place. Not my type :P

Just freaking buy that damn nailer. It's better than the old model and that was a great gun. Really can't go wrong.

You're that guy that needs reviews before you buy something. Jesus man, make up your own mind!!! lol. Killin' me...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well boys, got the nailer in today. Plan on giving it a serious of test tomorrow and I'll report back my thoughts on this sucker. 

Anyone else get this or order one yet? (for you guys that actually USE the tools they get, AKA not Mr. Yellow. >=-D )? 

• Like 1

Well boys, got the nailer in today. Plan on giving it a serious of test tomorrow and I'll report back my thoughts on this sucker. 

Anyone else get this or order one yet? (for you guys that actually USE the tools they get, AKA not Mr. Yellow. >=-D )?

Congrats Hugh, where'd you get the nailer from? Did you preorder it online of pick it up from a brick and mortar store?

So far for the report. Haven't used it yet?  ::)

Yea I have, but I had no idea that the nails only come in a box of 2000-2500, which means per size runs at a rediculous $25 a box at the store. I'm not spending a hundred dollars on nails all at once for this review, that's nuts. So I managed to test it thoroughly but only with 2" nails. I'm going to order nails online and save $10 a box for the other sizes, but I'm going to hold my overall opinions and review until I get to shoot it all. 

For now:

Positive: I can say that at 2" length, it will fire two stacked 2x6's, WET PT, together with the nail flush to the top of the board on the weakest setting. Just a slight amount of head exposed even firing through a knot. That tells me that it shouldn't have too much of a problem shooting 2.5" nails on the deep setting into even wet PT, which is exactly what I wanted. PERFECT. I ran door casing yesterday for 2 doors and some baseboard and it worked beautifully. Set it to weakest setting, and it didn't blow out the edge or crack the casing like my buddies 15g Ridgid tends to do sometimes. 

Negative: The rail blocks the ability to easily check the battery level by button, which was a dumb move. They could have extended the battery receiver just 1/4" and not blocked this. Out of every tool in 20v I have, this is the only one that is this difficult to check. Granted this is very easy on battery and all, but still an odd design choice for people that like to check levels like I do throughout the day.

Unexpected: They provide an extra no-marring tip attached to the tool, which I've heard no mention of before, which is a nice touch. 

More to come folks. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, review time! 

Having had the opportunity to daily drive this sucker for a bit, I'm confident in giving my solid assessment and building on my previous mini review. 

So far everything stands. This thing has power, which was my biggest concern. You set it to depth and it drives no matter what is in it's path. 

I'm shooting paslode brand for reference.

The me no likey things: Depth gauge. Personally I'm not in love with it, it's such a small amount of travel that trying to fine tune it means shooting and observing, and adjusting accordingly. My buddy's Ridgid has a electronic dial from say 1 to 9, or whatever...and to me it's far more logical being at all times visible at a glance from the rear of the tool. Looking across the tool to find the picture and rolling the dial is very much not an intuitive action at all. Does it work? Sure it does. Would I change it to resemble Ridgid's method? Yes, yes I would. As mentioned before, the battery indicator button is also super unintuitive, above all things I don't know why in the WORLD they let this design flaw past the first draft of design. As an engineer I'd punch myself in the forehead if I designed it myself and it somehow made it to production. Like watching a pregnant woman smoking meth, the baby is going to have issues.

Me likey things: POWER. Accuracy. Efficiency. Portability. Ergonomics. When you reach down with this hooked in your pocket on a ladder, it's very natural to get a perfect grip and let this sucker rip overhead without any extra steps to get your grip right. Feels very well made and sturdy. I keep wanting to push the tip hard onto the surface like I had to for my buddy's Ridgid to get a deep fire and I have to remind myself it's not necessary, this has so much power... light push and go. Flawless results.

Today I installed a T&G ceiling and this thing shined. 2" nails and set it to max depth with bump fire enabled, driving into PT 2x4 nailers is a breeze. Sometimes when you get a new tool it takes a while to get used to it and for it to feel naturally ergonomic. With this I felt like I've owned it for years (aside from adjusting depth, then I'm reminded). 

I went ahead and forced it to jam up on an impenetrable surface (wouldn't do it with normal use so I made it, lol) and it's so effortless to release a jam it's not even a thing to worry about. Even if 1 out of 20 nails jammed up on me, it wouldn't even bother me...it's just that easy and the quick release is very well designed. 

Overall I give it a 8.9/10. I love the things I love about it but the rest would take this from a 8.9 to a 10 for a perfect tool, and for the price point it should be just that...perfect. I still recommend this, and I'd still buy it over again. It's a great gun and my very minor quibbles shouldn't deter anyone from this beast. 

• Like 2

do you find the dewalt to be more bulky than the pasldoe?  how about weight?

I've never used a Paslode so I can't say about bulk. This unit comes in about 6lbs with battery and I think the newest version of Paslode is 4.5lbs I think, so it is comparably a bit more hefty. I was in the market for one until I read that Dewalt had this in the works, and I've been waiting a few years in the process. The weight to me is satisfying. By that I mean much lighter and it wouldn't feel as quality built, but I wouldn't want it to be any heavier if you know what I mean. I'll be sticking to 2.0Ah batteries, this thing is never going to see a 5Ah, lol. They've struck a sweet balance with this unit I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think you'll see it at HD before the end of the year. HD typically adds SKUS well before the item is available. They also ship the new items to stores (especially DeWalt) a month before the sku goes active so each store can have fair game on selling new products. Kind of like the release of new Air Jordan's.