What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

1 hour ago, Glasseyi said:

You see Chrisk. This is what makes you part of the crew, and not just a mod on the site. You engage with your first hand knowledge of tools. It's a huge help to us novices. Thanks Chris for all you do.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkemoji848.png

Thanks John :)

• Like 1

Few things I've gotten over the last couple weeks. Today, a couple rotary hammer bits came.

Hilti Gas Saw.jpg

M18 Finish Nailer.jpg

Fuel SDS 3b.jpg

2 of those 3 tools we know are amazing performers, but that nailer has people all over the board on results, I just hope it really does the job you expect it to, have you used it yet and how did it go?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

2 of those 3 tools we know are amazing performers, but that nailer has people all over the board on results, I just hope it really does the job you expect it to, have you used it yet and how did it go?

I just watched some morons review of the Milwaukee vs. Ryobi in the Brad nailer category. Their was a follow up review from another Youtuber that appeared to be in response to the first morons review. The first reviewer ended up bashing the Milwaukee but the test given was pretty unrealistic (bump firing repeatedly) and the overload protection had activated resulting in the reviewer not being able to complete the test in the bump fire mode. The other nailer, a Ryobi, did the job and did it quite well. I used to have the Ryobi and sold it as the firing striker started to stick. It is a great gun but doesn't offer protection for the motor or battery from overdriving which naturally will result in excessive wear and tear on the machine. The test showed the Milwaukee didn't complete driving the nail in a few cases. But....the Milwaukee, like the Dewalt, has built in protection to keep that machine functional. The Ryobi didn't. My Ryobi eventually started to show signs of wear when that striker started to fail. I would have to manually push the striker back in place to complete the job. I started using nail gun lubricant in the mechanism and this seemed to help. I had bought the Ryobi reconditioned from CPO three years ago and it served me very well for those three years till the issue popped up. I used my bradder a lot but never in bump mode (it's a Brad nailer....not a roofing or framing nailer.....and truthfully I hardly use my DCN692 in bump mode....brads put in light duty fasteners more in line with cabinetry and furniture building). Everyone knows I'm not a big fan of the red team and they lead the pack in returns for me after failures but....I don't think this was a fair test. Imagine putting a top of the line circular saw with built in protection against a saw without. Then running tens to hundreds of board feet of wood and having the brushless, protected saw stop working while your older saw kept going. Does this make it better? Maybe if time and money isn't an issue.....(you know, burning out the battery pack and motor and needing to buy a new saw). I will say what I saw between these reviews was the fact that the Milwaukee Brad had a harder time doing angle strikes than the Ryobi and the light in the Milwaukee isn't quite as useful. All in all the two reviews came to different conclusions in quality and run time. Both agreed, in the Brad nailers case, that the line of site wasn't the best and the lights....but, my Ryobi took a while for me to figure out where each nail would go. My new DCN660 will too. Also, following up with the comments made by viewers was interesting too.

• Like 3

Yes I believe I know which two videos you refer to and I basically disregard the formers videos because rarely does he give the tools a real world test, it's pathetic and I've taken anything he says with no seriousness, especially after he proved he had no idea what he was talking about regarding new 28v Milwaukee haha that was a real foot in the mouth

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes I believe I know which two videos you refer to and I basically disregard the formers videos because rarely does he give the tools a real world test, it's pathetic and I've taken anything he says with no seriousness, especially after he proved he had no idea what he was talking about regarding new 28v Milwaukee haha that was a real foot in the mouth

Hahahahaha nice. In the world of life we call that a "B-U-R-N"!!!!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Used it a little, works great. I really don't pay any attention to online tool reviews and such. Very few are done by actual tradesmen.

On June 10, 2016 at 0:07 PM, ChrisK said:

A WEN oscillating spindle sander which is identical to the Woodruver, Grizzly and Shop Fox!

image.jpeg

Dude, I totally want to get a spindle sander when I get moved into a new house...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BK13 said:

Dude, I totally want to get a spindle sander when I get moved into a new house...

I don't know why I waited this long Kurt. I'm on my second shop over the last 14 years and I finally got one. It's so friggin awesome

I just watched some morons review of the Milwaukee vs. Ryobi in the Brad nailer category. Their was a follow up review from another Youtuber that appeared to be in response to the first morons review. The first reviewer ended up bashing the Milwaukee but the test given was pretty unrealistic (bump firing repeatedly) and the overload protection had activated resulting in the reviewer not being able to complete the test in the bump fire mode. The other nailer, a Ryobi, did the job and did it quite well. I used to have the Ryobi and sold it as the firing striker started to stick. It is a great gun but doesn't offer protection for the motor or battery from overdriving which naturally will result in excessive wear and tear on the machine. The test showed the Milwaukee didn't complete driving the nail in a few cases. But....the Milwaukee, like the Dewalt, has built in protection to keep that machine functional. The Ryobi didn't. My Ryobi eventually started to show signs of wear when that striker started to fail. I would have to manually push the striker back in place to complete the job. I started using nail gun lubricant in the mechanism and this seemed to help. I had bought the Ryobi reconditioned from CPO three years ago and it served me very well for those three years till the issue popped up. I used my bradder a lot but never in bump mode (it's a Brad nailer....not a roofing or framing nailer.....and truthfully I hardly use my DCN692 in bump mode....brads put in light duty fasteners more in line with cabinetry and furniture building). Everyone knows I'm not a big fan of the red team and they lead the pack in returns for me after failures but....I don't think this was a fair test. Imagine putting a top of the line circular saw with built in protection against a saw without. Then running tens to hundreds of board feet of wood and having the brushless, protected saw stop working while your older saw kept going. Does this make it better? Maybe if time and money isn't an issue.....(you know, burning out the battery pack and motor and needing to buy a new saw). I will say what I saw between these reviews was the fact that the Milwaukee Brad had a harder time doing angle strikes than the Ryobi and the light in the Milwaukee isn't quite as useful. All in all the two reviews came to different conclusions in quality and run time. Both agreed, in the Brad nailers case, that the line of site wasn't the best and the lights....but, my Ryobi took a while for me to figure out where each nail would go. My new DCN660 will too. Also, following up with the comments made by viewers was interesting too.

I stopped watching one of these videos in frustration especially with some comments but the said reviewer, you make a very great point, even my 15g, my most used air nailer very self only will I bump fire, no real need.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Used it a little, works great. I really don't pay any attention to online tool reviews and such. Very few are done by actual tradesmen.

Concord carpenter on YouTube is a favorite, he does all his tool reviews based on his worksite experience. But yes, there are many that leaves something to be desired

26 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Concord carpenter on YouTube is a favorite, he does all his tool reviews based on his worksite experience. But yes, there are many that leaves something to be desired

Yeah, that guy I will watch.

I picked up that 12v Milwaukee combo too. Thinking about giving it to my old man for father's day. I was debating grabbing the new Makita 12v kit, but since dad is already invested in Milwaukee for all of his 18v I figured he could keep it in the family!9f0fbe2dc463777feb9292b57ba497c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Glasseyi said:

Man everyone's getting all kinds of cool tools. I have to step up my game here. Lol

Hehehehehehe wait till Wednesday ;) I got something on the way you probably would,like more than me! But it's going to fill a niche I need filled till Dewalt gets in gear!

• Like 3