Which 18V line to get

thebookkid

Bosch Milwaukee makita and Dewalt are all great brand and will probably do what you want them to do

I have Dewalt and they have never failed on me yet I would definitely recommend Dewalt

On keeping batteries last longer I've always drained my batteries all the way down to the point that it won't even turn the chuck on the drill then charge them to 100% I never charge them at anything but 0 and my batteries have lasted me a long time

Any company will work for you. I prefer Bosch bust just purchased a makita hammer drill/ impact for a stupid good price. See what is most available in your area for immediate purchases. Also look at the line up to see what tools (with good reviews) you will most likely purchase.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replys, one other thing I should have mentioned, I like fixing shit, I do want something that is fairly easily rebuildable. I have heard that Milwaukee is great about this. Two friends of mine have Ryobi, I just am not impressed with them and am not planning on getting into Ryobi. I really like the Ridgid replacement battery deal, but I dont know anyone who has Ridgid so I dont know how complicated that is. I do want to get into a line thats got a lot of tools so I like Milwaukee for that. One tool I want to get in the future is a impact wrench, I already have an air impact gun, but Im sure I would use a cordless one if I had it. Honestly I just dont know much about Porter Cable or Bosch.

Nope Im American

well if you decide to go with the Milwaukee line I think they is a member or 2 that can help you out with any questions, I'd have to look in the shop again but I'm pretty sure I have milwaukee lying around.....

• Like 1

Hi, this is my first post thus I assume Ive done something wrong on the post, sorry.

I am starting over on a 18V line, I have Craftsman 19.2 but I am selling them as all the batterys are dead. I am looking for any advice about which brand to get. I don't honestly use most of the tools all that much, I have the Makita 12V and that does most of the day to day drilling/screwing. I want to have a few tools of good quality that will last, above all I want tips on how to make the batterys last as long as possible and not have the 4 dead batterys I have now. I am not all that worried about the money. Basically my cordless needs are - hammer drill, impact driver, and circular saw. I figure I will expand the collection as I need different stuff.

Thoughts?

J

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago.  I just needed the basics for working around the house and for some remodeling projects.  I went with Ridgid.  They don't have a huge line up like Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita etc., but for a casual DIYer who doesn't use their tools every day I don't think you can go wrong with Ridgid for the money especially.  If you go with Ridgid be sure and buy tools in kits so you can take advantage of the lifetime service agreement.  You can register everything online.  

I picked up the Gen5x Brushless Hammer drill-Circ saw combo kit and the Gen5x Impact driver kit for about 260 bucks.

Also you have to buy the kits from Home Depot or Home Depot online to qualify for the LSA.

Just my 2 cents  ;D

well if you decide to go with the Milwaukee line I think they is a member or 2 that can help you out with any questions, I'd have to look in the shop again but I'm pretty sure I have milwaukee lying around.....

O'rly?  I could have sworn that your tag was "Better dead than red"...

He also has more Milwaukee tools than Milwaukee has!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

just to clarify, it is "did have"......I got the tools from them after all...lol

and Milwaukee by the Milwaukee way, I Milwaukee would never Milwaukee push a brand Milwaukee on anyone.... 

• Like 1

just to clarify, it is "did have"......I got the tools from them after all...lol

and Milwaukee by the Milwaukee way, I Milwaukee would never Milwaukee push a brand Milwaukee on anyone....

Compwaukee you are not right

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replys, one other thing I should have mentioned, I like fixing shit, I do want something that is fairly easily rebuildable. I have heard that Milwaukee is great about this. Two friends of mine have Ryobi, I just am not impressed with them and am not planning on getting into Ryobi. I really like the Ridgid replacement battery deal, but I dont know anyone who has Ridgid so I dont know how complicated that is. I do want to get into a line thats got a lot of tools so I like Milwaukee for that. One tool I want to get in the future is a impact wrench, I already have an air impact gun, but Im sure I would use a cordless one if I had it. Honestly I just dont know much about Porter Cable or Bosch.

Nope Im American

If you are looking at getting a good high torque cordless impact wrench, Milwaukee, dewalt and makita are the best options. I have the Milwaukee 2763 and it is an absolute monster. The runtime is great too. I don't have the compact impact wrench yet though. I just ordered it today and it should be here later this week.

and Milwaukee by the Milwaukee way, I Milwaukee would never Milwaukee push a brand Milwaukee on anyone.... 

No but just expect any tool you buy to be painted red.

if you're analytical like me, you might like this 18v platform calculator i created - http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/6700-which-18v-brandplatform-is-best-you-for-try-this-calculator/

there's not much in it between Milwaukee or Makita for your desired tools.

And just to chime in, this is a loaded question which will generate a lot of personal opinions but what are you going to do with the tools? Are you more of a mechanic, a woodworker, DIY type? Some of the brands offer more than others in different fields. If they will sit, absolutely, go lithium, keep them indoors. Are you going to want to expand your platform? You'll find yourself saying.....wow, I really need that tool" when you don't have it. The question wil be is the platform you bought into going to hfs those tools. Then when you figure that out asking which brand will get you 20 trillion responses from the guys and gals here!

Nah.....I don't mention the green too much Jimbo. Once you take a hit your an addict. A lot of guys have never tried those tools so it's hard to argue the merit of spending a ton of cash on a tool with someone that's never tried one. I'm the mintority on this site with the exception of NER, Andrew, Regopit, I don't think there too many guys sporting blue and green. Besides for general mechanical and carpentry stuff there's things Festool just doesn't have. Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ridgid, Ryobi it's all good. That's why I have got so many different brands for cordless stuff, take for instance my Bosch tools and wireless charging station. Or my Ryobi 18v Brad. My Makita 23ga pinner....I suffer my addiction to myself ;)

• Like 1

Yeah I have no plans what so ever to buy Festool, partly cause I am worried that I will want all Festool and I already have Snap On so thats my best of the best tool budget.

I think I have it down to Milwaukee, DeWalt, and possible Bosch. Honestly leaning to Milwaukee just because such a large range of tools.

I would use them for both mechanicing and woodworking. I am planning on having only Li-ion batteries.

Yeah I have no plans what so ever to buy Festool, partly cause I am worried that I will want all Festool and I already have Snap On so thats my best of the best tool budget.

I think I have it down to Milwaukee, DeWalt, and possible Bosch. Honestly leaning to Milwaukee just because such a large range of tools.

I would use them for both mechanicing and woodworking. I am planning on having only Li-ion batteries.

Nothing wrong with having a little of each, I have plenty of red and yellow, now blue is starting to add up too.