Favorite tool you acquired in 2017

BMack37

Power Tools:

Dewalt 20v String Trimmer, Milwaukee Fuel Blower, and the Karcher K2 pressure washer, they are the tools that I’ve used the most so far. Everything that I bought recently has either been used just once or not at all yet because I’ve been busy with work. 

Hand Tools:

Gearwrench 1/2” Drive Socket set, Wera LaserTip screw Drivers, and Wiha 26inOne Industrial Ultra driver.

Tools that I’m excited to use but haven’t had a chance to yet:

Wen Drill press, Dewalt Table Saw, Veritas Apron Plane, and Dewalt Portable Power Station.

Pretty much every tool that I listed as not used yet above is getting used this coming week to make Christmas presents.

• Like 1

My Festool OF1400 is the best power tool I got this year. The Flexvolt tracksaw and the Rotex 150 were runners up.

The best handtool I got this year is the Festool guide rails. Runners up are the True Position cabinet pull/knob jig and my 2' DeWALT trigger clamps were runners up.

The best tools I got this year that I haven't used are the Tough System wall rack. The TSOProducts GRS-16 guide rail square and the Festool LR-32 hole drilling kit are runners up.

The best OPE I got this year was the EGO blower. Runner up is the EGO Hedge trimmer and Flexvolt reciprocating saw when paired with a pruning blade.

• Like 1

The m18 fuel metal circular saw (2782) was the last tool I needed to go completely cordless.  I was skeptical that it could be a corded replacement as we tried a dewalt 18v metal circular saw 10 years ago and it just didnt have the power or runtime.  I was pleasantly suprised at just how capable the fuel is. While I'll keep the corded 8" in reserve I just don't see it coming out much anymore.

• Like 1

Power Tool: Festool TSC 55, even though I haven’t used it yet since I just got it back from Festool.

Hand Tool: Wera Color Coded Metric L Keys

Instrument: Tie between Southwire M300P Professional VDV Cable Mapper and Southwire 14090T TechnicianPRO Bluetooth Multimeter

Misc: TSTAK’s. They may be the best purchase I made all year.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jronman said:

Runners up are the True Position cabinet pull/knob jig and my 2' DeWALT trigger clamps were runners up.

How much have you used the True Position jig? I picked up the kreg jig for door handles and my over all impression is Meh... I much prefer to make my own jig for each job and toss it when I'm done.

I honestly can't say; I've made so many purchases this year.  It's hard to believe that a year ago I didn't own any Milwaukee and much less DeWalt.  If I had to answer, I'd probably choose the following:

Cordless Tool:  FlexVolt miter saw.  I haven't used it yet, but it got me into the FlexVolt system, and the AC adapter guarantees that it will be the last 12" miter saw I ever buy (barring unforeseen circumstances).

Corded Tool:  They still exist?  Seriously, though, I don't think I bought any this year.  So by default, the FV miter saw wins this category as well.

Hand Tool:  Irwin Power Slot diagonal cutters.  I've bought a number of these and use them quite often.  They've cut everything I've used them on, with minimal effort on my part.  The NWS-sourced pistol grip needle nose and linesman pliers are also rather nice.  I was hoping to score the last two linesman pliers at my local Lowe's for cheap, but the price went back up to $42.98.  They did still have a sticker showing $24.07, though.

Cordless Accessory:  Either the Ridgid 18v vacuum or the M18 stand light.  The latter impresses me enough that I'm tempted to get the actual Rocket version.  Cash is short right now, but my local HD has that light on clearance for $288 at the moment.  Given how slowly some more pricey items move around here (it seems that most things go unsold until marked down to about 50% of their original price), I'm hoping to find one for around $200 after Christmas.

• Like 1

I haven't(don't think I have) bought alot of tools this year but my power tool standouts are the DeWalt XR recip and Ryobi 18g nailer, Hand tools would be the surprisingly handy Knipex Cobra and 18" long handled 21oz Hart hammer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

How much have you used the True Position jig? I picked up the kreg jig for door handles and my over all impression is Meh... I much prefer to make my own jig for each job and toss it when I'm done.

I have used another much cheaper fully adjustable China built jig that has similarities to the true position when I was in school so it isn't my first time using a jig like this. The Chinese jig at school was actually half decent. I looked it up and for around $40 you get full metal, one hole guide with 3 different holes for standard widths and another hole guide you can adjust for wider pulls, and 2 edge stops to set how far from each edge you want to drill. Adjusting was done with hex wrenches and there was no scale. 

The true position is much better in my opinion. True Position touts that they designed their jig to be a true wood jig replacement for installing pulls and knobs. I agree 100%. I have only used it on 2 pulls. Not too much use yet but so far I am impressed. It is Woodpecker One-Time Tool quality if you ask me. Once you figure it out it is easy to use and adjust. It is nice because it doesn't require hex wrenches to adjust. This is nice because you don't have to go searching for the right sized wrench. It may be expensive but worth the price in my opinion. Unless there is some specialty machine for drilling holes for cabinet pulls/knobs, this is the best option out there. You can even get a version for drilling adjustable shelving holes. Another nice thing is this includes a scale with very easy to read markings. Many jigs I have seen don't include a scale or even a center mark.

I hope this helps.

On 12/10/2017 at 11:55 AM, sparky603 said:

The 2 massive-output M18 lights - the Dual-Pack Rocket Tower and the Radius Site lights - are probably the things that I've got the most use out of. I really didn't need much this year.

How about you, @BMack37?

Radius light is fantastic!

Mine:

Power tool: Dewalt DW734 planer, I've been using the hell out of that. Honorable mentions to my Ryobi miter saw, Wen bench sanders and Craftsman band saw! It was the year of bench tools for me. 

Hand tools. I'd have to go with the Irwin powerslot diagonal cutters I got from @rrich1, I had a pair already but wanted another pair and Rich decided to send me a pair as a thanks for something I sent him. I wasn't expecting it so it was a huge surprise.

I want to add my wood handle screwdrivers here but I don't really use them(have soo many screwdrivers already), I just think they're neat haha.

• Like 2

I got quite a bit this year.

Favorite bought power tool is a tie between the jointer and the bandsaw. My drill press I acquired it last year but I rebuilt it this year.

Favorite hand tool by far is my veritas apron plane. I love that thing and use it so much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At some point through the year each one of these has been my favourite:

- Makita TD170 impact driver

- Metabo SSE 18 LTX compact reciprocating saw 

- Dewalt 20V string trimmer 

I've probably enjoyed using the string trimmer the most but I've only had it a few weeks now. The recip saw is next; such a great little brushed saw.