Sholt0624

Hello all,

Been lurking on the forums, finally decided to sign up. I need your guys help in making my next purchase. My budget is $650 and I'm looking to get an Impact Driver/ A drill/ and an SDS plus rotary hammer. I'm looking for all cordless and preferably brushless. I'm down to the following unless you have a better suggestion:

***Option 1

Makita Xt25m combo kit for $384.97 ( The promo also includes a free dual 18vx2 36v rotary hammer )

So this would give me the ( xph07z Hammer Drill, Xtd01z Impact, & free xhrz053 Dual battery rotary hammer)

Then I could use and additional $150 to buy to 4.0 batteries for the rotary and be at a total of $534 which would give me 3 tools, 4 batteries and I would just be lacking a case for the rotary but I would still have an extra $120 to spend

- My thoughts- I wish the impact was the LXTD06 model( I would hate having the xtd01zmodel knowing a brand new a better version exists) , the rotary is not brushless & is rather large, no life indicator on the batteries, but I get 4 batteries 3 tools and money to spare, wish I hade a case for the rotary though

*** Option 2

Bosch Clpk233181L kit for $369, then also purchase the Bosch Rhh181bl rotary bare tool with box for $268.99

So this would give the ( DDS182 hammer drill, IDH182 Impact, Rhh181 rotary for $637.99, so 3 tools, 3 cases but only 2 batteries and I max my budget

-My thoughts - I love the fact that each model is the companies latest and greatest model, the impact seems really cool & Everything here is brushless, everything has a case, the downside is I would be short a battery and maxed out on the budget, the rotary also seems pretty cool for how light is is.

***Option 3

Milwaukee 2797-22 M18 fuel combo for $399,Milwaukee 2612-21 rotary $150(-$150 off Home Depot discount)

So this would give me the ( 2604-20 Hammer, 2653-20 impact & 26-21 rotary for $548. So I end up with 3 tools, 3 cases, 3batteries and 2 chargers and $100 to spare

-My thoughts- I wish the drill was the newer model hammer, same with the makita impact it will make me made knowing that I just bought something new when there is an updated version out, I love that the impact is the companies best model, my concern with this deal is the rotary, it's not brushless. And more importantly it only has 2 settings! I want that 3rd hammer only chipping setting. Ideally I would get the 2712-20 model instead since it is also $299 and has the 3 settings and is brushless, the only issue is it is not available for the -$150 off Home Depot discount and it is a bare tool so no battery and no case and it would put me over budget since it's not included on the Home Depot -$150 deal.

I am not a professional just an at home DIY. I do own a sports performance facility and bolt several peices of fitness equipment to concrete floors and walls, as well as break down and put together several peices of fitness equipment. I am that crazy picky guy that likes all the bells and whistles and the latest and greatest. I hate cheap stuff and going the affordable route to sacrife quality. I'm all about having the quality,but I still have a $650 budget for these 3 tools. Also I don't own any platform at the moment so I will be buying into a platform, but there aren't that many additional tools that I would need. I want to make this purchase by the end of the wk. Please offer any opinions, advice, thoughts etc. on helping me make this decision. Thanks for taking your time to read this and help me out.

Welcome to TIA, glad to have you out from lurking in the shadows and posting!  you will find that this is a great place with a lot of people willing to help each other out. 

first off, for what you will be using these tools for, any single option you have above will provide you with PLENTY of runtime and power..  dont let the amount of batteries or brushless affect your decision..   brushless is the new "it" thing but in no way necessary.  in some situations brushed motors can still be superior to brushless.   also dont worry about tool life for brushelss vs brushed, im pretty confident that in your tool use life you will never have to change a set of brushes on any of these tools

I'll give  you a disclaimer, i am partial to Makita cordless, i have owned their 18v live for about 6-7 years and have had excellent luck with them.. i use them professionally every day and still have all my original tools working just fine. 

my honest opinion for you, all bias aside is to go with the Makita..   my runner up would be the milwaukee but i think  you loose too much. i have never really considered bosch as a cordless brand i would invest in. not sure why..   the bosch option does seem to check off all your boxes though.. 

my reasoning for Makita;   the xph07z is the baddest drill on the market at this point.. nothing comes close to this thing!!   I really wouldnt worry about the difference between the xdt01 and xdt06   the 01 is lacking the "quick shift mode" which truly isnt necessary and you can achieve the same thing with knowing how to use your tools and trigger control, also the 01 has no battery gauge but it does have a low battery indicator.   dont get too caught up on that either. it will start to warn you when the tool has 20% power remaining and if you want to check the batteries just click them into the drill.. it takes two seconds (thats what i do on occasion because many of my tools have no indicator)  in a toolsofthetrade.net comparison they actually ranked the 01 higher than the 06,  their test torque figures were higher for the 01 despite the manufacturers claims and in a 3.5" lag bolt speed test the 01 was only about 0.1 or 0.2 seconds slower than the 06 (i would call that identical for your or even anyone's needs)  

the xrh05z will give you the power and runtime of a corded tool, definitely better than the Milwaukee 2612-21  it will not leave you wanting more.. i have the dual battery circular saw and it is seriously a corded tool replacement.  in tests has shown faster cut times than the milwaukee fuel circular saws even though the makita is not brushless.   the same may be true for the rotary hammers but im not positive

I think the makita x2 rotary tool in that kit comes with a tool bag.     also i would use part of your remaining budget to jump on ebay and pick up another charger.. they can be had for like 30-40 bucks and then you can charge both batteries for the rotary hammer at the same time..   with this setup you will be able to drill holes non stop all day long!!   you may be able to find the two extra 4.0 batteries on ebay for a little cheaper.  seller "bishoptools" is a great reliable source on ebay who i have done a lot of makita business with, his prices are great. 

good luck and let us know which way you go!

I don't have experience with all these tools specifically but I do own the 2604 and 2653. The Fuel impact driver is probably my most widely used tool and I would recommend it to anyone. I've installed a decent amount of tapcons drilling with the 2604 and it works well enough, but is no match for a dedicated SDS imo.

I also know the feeling of wanting the best so I know the feeling of hesitation you have towards the brushed SDS from Milwaukee but it really depends on how much you'll use it. I rarely need to install anchors at work and basically never outside of work so that wouldn't stop me from going with Mikwaukee.

Bosch, from what I know, has a sterling reputation with regards to drilling concrete. I only have experience with a corded Bosch rotary hammer but it was a good experience. I'm sure their latest brushless SDS is fantastic.

My only experience with cordless Makita is a friends kit that he really likes. The idea of the 2x18 tools for more power is very appealing but I wouldn't want to have a limited supply of batteries if I'm draining two simulateously. From what I've heard the Makitas charge very quickly though, and 4 batteries could be sufficient.

Sorry to not push you firmly in one direction but hopefully its some food for thought.

I will admit I'm a Milwaukee fan so I would love to see someone join team Red, but the Makita seems to be the all around better deal. You could pick up another case for the tools with the Makita kit like the Ridgid modular boxes you just need to buy some foam for it.

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your opnions. Does Bosch ever do any promotions or specials at any particular time of the year or website etc. I have searched the Internet today and on most sites I can find some sort of promotion for free tool, free battery or xxx amount off when buying multiple tools for just about every manufacturer except Bosch. My local Home Depot /Lowes has deals on Bosch, but it's the cheaper entry level models. Is there any place or time of the year Bosch has deals on there more flagship models? Reason I ask is, when I look at the tools up close, l like the Bosch the best. However I just feel like it would be a stupid financial decision at this point. I found the makita batteries new for $140, the charger for $45, so it's looking more and more like I would be a fool not to go the makita route as for $565 I get the the hammer drill,the impact drill,the SDS which has 36v power, while also having 2 chargers and 4 batteries + $100 still on the table, as compared to going with the Bosch being maxed out on budget and still being short a battery for the tools and 2 batteries shorter than if I went with the makita. I decided the Milwaukee is out because the SDS only having 2 settings is a deal breaker and to go to a 3 setting cordless model would put me over $700 at least. It's starting to look like a serious no brainer to go with the makita when figuring what I'm getting for the $$$ and between the 3 it appears the difference in quality is like splitting hairs so it makes sense to take the best value. Also on tools in actions YouTube page they seem to review a broad amount of brands and tools but I don't see hardly any reviews for the many makita products, specifically any of the ones I would be getting. Any reason for this? Once again, I appreciate you all taking the time to read this and help me out.

I'm a bosch guy,so naturally I say go with them, especially for SDS type drills, the fuel SDS is supposed to be pretty nice as well.  M18 Fuel ive seen in action at work by a few guys that own them,they seem as good as folks claim.

Welcome to the forum Sholt! As far as tool brands....look to the ability to expand your line. ALL of those brands have extensive lines of 18v tools. I just got the IDH182 and it is AWESOME. Bosch does have discounts but only at certain point in year. You just missed the Bosch deal as it ended just after Christmas. Chad brought up Dewalt and I have to admit I am running two of them. The 20v circular saw and the DCD985 hammer drill (brushed- made in America) I drove a bunch of tap cons and no problem. Super comfy grips and I was using the saw just a couple of hours ago. I have a lot of experience with Milwaukee and recommend them all the time. I had a falling out with Makita but they are really stepping up the game by leaps and bounds. Really it's what do you want? I now have the Bosch IDH182 and the brushless multi tool will come in at some point soon. Bosch really has a great reputation in the rotary hammer world. You can always buy the large 4 amp batteries in the future. What feels best in your hand? You have clearly put some thought into this. I feel if you can get something that you really want and it costs you a little more then spend it. You won't have to again. Those are ALL Great tools.

http://toolguyd.com/bosch-rhh181-18v-brushless-rotary-hammer/

Also on tools in actions YouTube page they seem to review a broad amount of brands and tools but I don't see hardly any reviews for the many makita products, specifically any of the ones I would be getting. Any reason for this?

When I first wanted to buy high quality power tools I had a bias towards Makita due to friends and family, but like you, I did extensive research. Multiple videos and tool fights had the Makita coming up short, I believe TIA had the 2604 smoking a Makita. I couldn't bring myself to spend money on a name instead of performance. Looking further into the lineups of other tools it seemed Milwaukee had a ton of momentum with releases while I read about Makita battery problems and a stagnant release schedule for product. Since then I believe Dewalt and Makita have surpassed the 2604, Makitas latest looks to be a torque monster. What I really like is seeing the guys from Oz Tool Talk showing off that tiny Makita brushless impact driver, really cool little driver. What I'm trying to say in way too many words is that every manufacturer has peaks and valleys, and when you're looking to buy and aren't already invested in a battery platform, the best thing to do is go with the manufacturer who seems to be on a roll with releases that appeal to you. Makita has their battery situation figured out and looks to be putting out some top notch tools, in addition to already having a huge lineup. If I was in the market earlier than I was I likely would have ended up with Dewalt due to Milwaukee playing musical chairs with battery platforms for example, if I was looking now I'd definitely take a serious look at Makita. Now that Makita has raised the bar I'm sure you'll see more tool fights and reviews with them involved.

don't cheat yourself by trying to save money on daily hardcore tools, if your going to be using them then don't be afraid to spend a couple of bucks more if need be.....as others have mentioned go with a brand that will best suit your needs not your budget......if your not sure go rent the tools for a day that you are interested in use em hard and then you will see....just like a car I have seen many cars I liked until I drove them 3 blocks......

I don't have experience with all these tools specifically but I do own the 2604 and 2653. The Fuel impact driver is probably my most widely used tool and I would recommend it to anyone. I've installed a decent amount of tapcons drilling with the 2604 and it works well enough, but is no match for a dedicated SDS imo.

I also know the feeling of wanting the best so I know the feeling of hesitation you have towards the brushed SDS from Milwaukee but it really depends on how much you'll use it. I rarely need to install anchors at work and basically never outside of work so that wouldn't stop me from going with Mikwaukee.

Bosch, from what I know, has a sterling reputation with regards to drilling concrete. I only have experience with a corded Bosch rotary hammer but it was a good experience. I'm sure their latest brushless SDS is fantastic.

My only experience with cordless Makita is a friends kit that he really likes. The idea of the 2x18 tools for more power is very appealing but I wouldn't want to have a limited supply of batteries if I'm draining two simulateously. From what I've heard the Makitas charge very quickly though, and 4 batteries could be sufficient.

Sorry to not push you firmly in one direction but hopefully its some food for thought.

I can say that form the feedback I hear Bosch makes the best corded rotary hammers and the best concrete bits, when you go cordless I would say there far behind the new milwaukee fuel.

I bought into the Milwaukee M18 and M12 lines about 5 years ago and I've been extremely pleased. I can honestly say if I were buying a new cordless kit today, it would be the same kit I already have. This is Milwaukee time right now. Dewalt will catch up, but they aren't very close yet. It's hard not to recommend Milwaukee these days.

Bosch would be my very close 2nd choice. Good build quality, innovative products (that IDH182 socket ready impact is the bees knees).

Makita's cordles is on Conductor's "no fly" list for now. I don't care what anyone says, Makita is not what they used to be. Sure, they still produce nice, workable, tools, but they did have a serious problem with the LXT pacs as well as several other quality issues.

To me it's really between Milwaukee & Bosch and you can't go wrong with either

Comparing those 3 sets the Makita's Offer the best Value by far in my opinion.

• The hammer drill is the king of the hammer drills at this moment. Period. Nothing even comes close.
  • The Impact driver is a very very decent option.  Maybe not Makita's best but it will not ever let you down once. Believe me.
  • The cordless rotary is the strongest Rotary hammer that runs on 18 V batteries that you can get at the moment. 

All in all the Makita set offers you The best rotary, the best Hammer drill and a very capable impact that will do everything you will want to do with it.

Milwaukee would be my Second choise for offering decent tools.  All of these will also be capable enough for pretty much anything you will throw at it.

Bosch would be my last choise.   The Brushless hammer drill is one of the least strongest brushless drills around.  Not even close to comparing to Makita's DHP481  or Milwaukee's Fuel.  Mind you tho... it's also smaller and more light weight of course but you do not want to put a bigger hole saw on bosch's hammer drill.

Bosch's impacts do not compete in my opinion.  They're bigger and heavier. And real life testing have showed me they're also not the strongest impacts around.   Being able to get sockets on there is cool but do not assume the Torque of this impact driver comes close to other brands 1/2" Impact wrenches.  Not even close unfortunatly.

The rotary hammer is yet again the weakest in terms of hitting power but also small and light.

The battery problems Conductor has bene mentioning are a thing of the past. Every brand has had their share of problems with battery packs. Being a salesmen of Bosch and Makita here i can say both brands had their battery problems.

The problem came with older tools / older batteries not having electronically over discharge protection. If you used your batteries wrongly you could kill them.

Be assured that these days all tools / batteries from the top brands feature this protection circuit and whatever brand you buy from the big ones... you'll be safe and have a durable product :)

• Like 1

Guys,

A friend of mine suggested I buy a Hilti Impact driver kit that included 2 batteries for around $400. Then buy the new Hilti SF 10W-A18 as a bare tool option for $200 when it releases soon. He said hilti has a lifetime warranty and is on an entire different level of quality compared to the others. He said the new drill has like 1100lbs of torque eliminating the need to get an sds for my concrete wall drilling. This would put me at about $600 total and I would have 2 top of line products with cases and batteries. I am not familiar with the Hilti products at all, it seems the impact model is 3 or 4yrs old so might be older technology?. Any thoughts on this? Also I handled some makita equipment today and while it offers the best value and deal by far, I just hate the color of the tools and didn't really like the way it felt in my hands. I'm considering this Hilti idea if I can get some more input but I have been leaning towards just buying the Bosch impact IDH182 kit with box and 2 batteries then buying the Bosch SDS RHH181 bare tool with box and just skip buying a hammer all together as I think the SDS will handle anything I would need the power for, and the Impact on low setting would handle any slower drilling needs... Thanks again for your input guys

Hilti and Metabo are great tools. Problem is....if you don't have a regular sales / service guy it is hard to find local people to buy from and service them. Home adept does sell some Hilti tools but in NH there are no Hiltis available in stores. I have never seen cordless Metabo tools for sale out here either. On line yes. Metabo is a real popular brand in Europe as is Bosch and Dewalt not to mention Festool and Makita too.

Oh and I've used the Hilti SFC 181 compact drill. Big drill for a compact but really well made tool. They use a weird composite on the bodies, sort of a glass reinforced something or other. Nice drill, Eric likes them and they did a review on the impact driver. The drill I used was now being made in China. Like I had said earlier, and Comp followed up on....buy what you want and don't skimp. If you've got an idea of what you want but don't have the money for it, you've researched it and reaffirmed your desires then I'd keep saving for the tool set you WANT. Sucks putting a relatively new tool online for sale when you find something shiny and new that you really wanted all along! I'm breaking into the Bosch line now thanks to Dan and Eric and Bosch and I'm really happy I'm there. My Dewalts are new and still treating me really well and my mainstay is Festool.

another thing to consider when asking opinions on power tools is everyone is different, for example I weigh in around 220lbs were as my older brother weighs in at around 135lbs small tiny man.....I get to say that....anyway my point is that a drill/impact/SDS is going to fit my hand far different than his and after a days work with it can make a big difference even though the tool in question I think is the cat's ass and he don't care for it.....and it's not the tools fault........

depending on how large your concrete drilling needs are, the makita xph07z drill does a good job for quick anchoring needs, but when your needing to do more holes or larger holes, the xrh05z is just awesome, i went for the same kit with the free xrh05z, and have been drilling large 2-3" holes through mostly cinderblock and thin walled concrete, not a problem, and when the new dual battery charger comes out can be doing a lot drilling with almost no downtime, i also have the XWT02Z 1/2" impact wrench for fastening anchors and general large bolt fastening. i rarely need more than 200ftlbs of torque for what i do. if you havent noticed im partial to makita, for one simple reason, battery charge time and proven battery platform. but i have batteries that are over 7yrs old that still hold a charge and work. i think you do get the best value from makita with that free tool. happy makita user so far. btw, the xrh05z does come with a soft case. 

Guys,

I made my decision and placed my order this morning. I ended up going with a Hilti combo like my friend suggested. I got the new SF 10W-A18 hammer drill & the SID-18A impact. The combo came with 2 of the larger batteries, charger, case, and some bits all for under $600. Part of the reason I went with them was their customer service was insane, they were facebook message chatting with me at 11pm on a Sunday night answering my questions through there Hilti North America page & when I placed the order this morning they overnighted it to me for free so I will have it tommrow. They said that the SF 10W-A18 will drill my concrete holes for my gym equipment floors and walls no problem and that if it came up short they would sell me there 18V SDS at a large bare tool discount for being incorrect on there suggestion. They said it has over 1000lbs of torque and will handle up to 3/8tapcons smoothly. Ultimately there customer service response time through facebook and what they were willing to do sold me, that coupled with the fact that as I searched around online everyone had something positive and negative to say about each company, but I couldent find anyone that had anything negative to say about Hilti, and I still stayed under my $650 budget as it was in the 500's. Thanks again everyone for your input, advice & suggestions. I appreciate you all. I'm looking forward to getting the tools tommrow if anyone has any questions about them once they arrive or how they do feel free to ask. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I bought them directly through Hilti, if you call them they just set you up with an account over the phone. They won't quote you any pricing through there online chat,email,facebook or on the phone unless you have an account. It took about 6minutes total to set up the account and place the order. A normal fluent English speaking person answers on first ring no automated machine BS, or foreign call center crap you can't understand. I noticed when searching around on all websites including eBay the best pricing was on there own website. One guy from eBay quoted me over $850 in a private message and said that there was no way I would find any better price because of newness & the high demand of the SF-10W. When I called Hilti directly, the price they gave me over the phone when I quoted a few other items was even cheaper than what was listed on there own website. I was also surprised that when I mentioned ordering some screwdriver bit tips, drill bits and additional sockets the guy on the phone said I would be better to purchase those elsewhere as they only sell each small peice individually and I would be better off buying them as a kit somewhere else since I wasent a professional and to order each peice individually would cost me more and be harder for me to organize. He recommended I buy bosch or husky bit tips,& drill bits. It was a fast and easy experience. It was refreshing to come to a decision, it was starting to drive me nuts trying to decide on a company and platform!

• Like 1