Wait no longer the Dewalt 16gauge Cordless Finish Nailer is here

DR99

They could be getting rid of old models but I doubt stores would stop selling pneumatic nailers. I think Dewalt just wasn't able to build and ship enough nailers this year to fill the stores with inventory. The new thing with brand new tools is to launch with online orders and then fill the stores with inventory.

• 2 months later...
DCN660 finish nailer. Has any one else had trouble with skipping.  I have had a huge problem with it skipping nails.  I probably put about 2 blank holes for every hole with a nail.

That's not good. Dan and Eric in the video were adamant about its consistency, does sound like some problem with your nailer. You able to take it somewhere for warranty?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, toolman said:

DCN660 finish nailer. Has any one else had trouble with skipping.  I have had a huge problem with it skipping nails.  I probably put about 2 blank holes for every hole with a nail.

Check the nails you're using.  The adhesive holding the nails together can gum things up so there's not enough force from the spring to feed the next nail but a after a blank or two it jostles free.  There could also be a bur in the feed path or a weak feed spring which would exacerbate the problems with adhesive that wouldn't be noticeable otherwise.  Best thing would be to check yours against another one to see if there's a difference.

• Like 2

G'day Toolman, I had a lot of trouble with this happening in the older nailers and found it was when using non genuine nails such as Paslode or spotnails. I now only use dewalt brand nails and in approx 20,000 nails have had very few misfires with my new dcn660s.

Cheers Jim

• Like 1

On 3/12/2016 at 9:57 PM, toolman said:

Given how utterly perfect my unit fires (not a single misfire yet or any need to reset the motor switch), I'm inclined to suspect you have a busted unit or you're using the wrong nails. What brand, degree angle, length, and gauge are the ones you're using?

I've put nothing but Paslode brand 16g through mine so far with flawless performance. Installed about 150 Lft with mine today as a matter of fact. 

• 7 months later...

I have now found this happens to my guns after use in areas that are dusty. A blowout of the magazine with compressed air gets it working properly again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For you guys that own the 16ga, how are you liking it after a while of use? I purchased it and compared it to my 10yr old 18v I still use. I found the 18v had what felt like loads more power with noticeably less kickback. I know from all the online reviews the new nailer will not set 2.5" nails in hardwood so I didn't even mess with that. The nailers with batteries removed aren't that different in size, but weight for sure is a lot more with the old 18v. The LEDs on the new nailer are shit, even compared to the old 18v yellow ones. Why didn't DeWalt put the lights in same spot on the new gun? Overall I was left disappointed that after over 10 years of 18v nailer being out there really wasn't much improved on the new nailer. Brushless, yes, but I honestly never had a runtime issue on the old nailer, I just popped another battery on when it needed it.

I also compared these 2 nailers to the Paslode 16ga. The Paslode was lighter, more ergonomic, smaller, more power, felt more precise, and was overall awesome. It left me with a smile. I haven't wanted to go gas but it seems this is the way to go. Especially since DeWalt is refusing to add a 20v connection to an 18ga nailer.

For you guys that own the 16ga, how are you liking it after a while of use? I purchased it and compared it to my 10yr old 18v I still use. I found the 18v had what felt like loads more power with noticeably less kickback. I know from all the online reviews the new nailer will not set 2.5" nails in hardwood so I didn't even mess with that. The nailers with batteries removed aren't that different in size, but weight for sure is a lot more with the old 18v. The LEDs on the new nailer are shit, even compared to the old 18v yellow ones. Why didn't DeWalt put the lights in same spot on the new gun? Overall I was left disappointed that after over 10 years of 18v nailer being out there really wasn't much improved on the new nailer. Brushless, yes, but I honestly never had a runtime issue on the old nailer, I just popped another battery on when it needed it.

I also compared these 2 nailers to the Paslode 16ga. The Paslode was lighter, more ergonomic, smaller, more power, felt more precise, and was overall awesome. It left me with a smile. I haven't wanted to go gas but it seems this is the way to go. Especially since DeWalt is refusing to add a 20v connection to an 18ga nailer.

Handyman I think you have summed it up perfectly. I have put probably 30 or 40 thousand nails through the new gun and it is definitely less powerful than the old gun. Having waited for so long for the release of these guns I have been left underwhelmed. I still like the gun but don't believe there has been any improvement on the old gun.

I remember seeing a comparison of the two guns, it was interesting to see what you were explaining with the weight difference of the two, it does seem like they did not exactly improve on the new design, kind of like their recip saw dare I say?

I am very impressed with mine so far. Probably 10k nails in and I've had no more than 10 jams I'd say. Haven't fired anything over 45mm into hardwood but they sunk no problem.  I can't compare to the older model but to me it's not too heavy and runtime is great. As for the light, it's not a big deal for me yet as I haven't been using the nailer where I can't just switch a light on.

22 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

I love mine. I run two, the framer and the finish. Absolutely love them. Not as much use as @Turner85 with mine but mine like his perform wonderfully.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I remember seeing a comparison of the two guns, it was interesting to see what you were explaining with the weight difference of the two, it does seem like they did not exactly improve on the new design, kind of like their recip saw dare I say?

Happy with both my framer and 16 gauge. If there's no difference between this 16 and the old then Milwaukee should be even more embarrassed by their Fuel line lol; paint grade finish. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

My 16g is one of my favorite tools of all time. I look for reasons to pull it out of the box. 

Haha one of those tools huh? Yup, I'm like that with my m12 polisher/sander, believe it or not; it makes surfaces so clean and smooth to the touch

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2016 at 7:52 PM, Hugh Jass said:

My 16g is one of my favorite tools of all time. I look for reasons to pull it out of the box. 

I'm with you 100% on that. Just got it for my birthday in the beginning of November, and I absolutely love it.

What's the chances anyone has heard about a new 18g brad nailer coming out in the near future? I'm contemplating buying the Senco Fusion since I don't really want to buy the previous version of the DeWalt and have a new one come out right after... Would REALLY prefer to stay with the same battery pack in a shiny new DeWalt though if at all possible, especially if it's anywhere near as good as the finish nailer. 

If anyone from DeWalt is reading this - QUIT DRAGGING YOUR FEET ON THE BRAD NAILER!

• Like 1