What are you pet hates on the job site ?

Craigh9916

Just wondered what people's pet hates on the job site are ?

I will start with one of mine it may sound petty but it makes my blood boil when I have a new tool like an 18v impact and my mate uses it but when he puts it back down instead of standing it back up on its battery he just lays it on its side in dirt or gravel or just on the bare concrete floor !!

I know this won't affect the tool but God surely it's just as easy to stand tools up ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

before I retired in our shop just thinking about using someone else's tools was just a no no......it just didn't happen........lol even if you came around some of the older guys tables (I was one of them for awhile)  you would get the look........they would stop what they were doing and just give you the look.........in other words it was the what the %^&$$ do you want look.....

my pet peeve was using new gloves I hated new gloves......take a used pair off and forget them look around the shop and sure enough go grab a new pair......hated it....

people that unplug your charger

messy buggers that don't clean up after themselves

Stop plugging in your charger at the only outlet within reach of my work. I'm not running 300' of cord so you can have your charger closer to you.

Cell phones in the work area really get under my skin I mean I love being on my phone 2 but some guys will be having full hour conversations while prepping me a car for paint and plus they don't give full attention to the details and prep is one of the most important parts at the shop oh and Facebook I don't even wanna get started on that

having worked for the same company for over 35 yrs when I retired, I have to say I have worked with some pretty smart people, however I also have worked with some pretty stupid people too......just sayin.....
also one of my biggest pet peeves would be the young guys comin in to the work force thinking they know everything and sadly they get blind sided.....don't get me wrong some of the young guys were great it was the guys that if they didn't do it their uncle has and I could tell by first coffee break if they would last or not......

Note to people that work off of blue prints:......if you work from blue prints that are issued to you have issuer sign them with you so both signatures are on them. that way if there is any kind of revision come down the line and your signature is not on it you have some ground. 

having worked for the same company for over 35 yrs when I retired, I have to say I have worked with some pretty smart people, however I also have worked with some pretty stupid people too......just sayin.....

also one of my biggest pet peeves would be the young guys comin in to the work force thinking they know everything and sadly they get blind sided.....don't get me wrong some of the young guys were great it was the guys that if they didn't do it their uncle has and I could tell by first coffee break if they would last or not......

Note to people that work off of blue prints:......if you work from blue prints that are issued to you have issuer sign them with you so both signatures are on them. that way if there is any kind of revision come down the line and your signature is not on it you have some ground. 

oh and another pet peeve was some one sitting in my seat in the break room.....if you don't sit at the main table you don't deserve to be there....get it!

People that don't clean up after themselves especially when a dumpster is on site.

Smokers that throw their butts on the ground at a customers house.

The cigarette thing is a no no for me on my jobs!! I make any of my sub's go out to the street or to the dumpster (if its far away from the house) to smoke. I don't think my customers should have to be breathing smoke anywhere near their house just because contractors are at their home and personally I don't want to breathe it either.. Definetly no butts thrown on the ground even if its the street!

• Like 1

Another one of mine is watching people using impact drivers and watching how they always snap bits from over tightening screws ! My brother does this all the time , we use bay pole screws in the UK not sure if they are called that in the U.S. But that are pan head self drilling screws used for fixing through reinforced window frames and my brother doesn't take his finger off the trigger when the screw is seated instead he keeps driving it a split second to long and wonders why he snaps bits or worst the screw and with them being ph2 bits it doesn't take much doing !

Another one of mine is watching people using impact drivers and watching how they always snap bits from over tightening screws ! My brother does this all the time , we use bay pole screws in the UK not sure if they are called that in the U.S. But that are pan head self drilling screws used for fixing through reinforced window frames and my brother doesn't take his finger off the trigger when the screw is seated instead he keeps driving it a split second to long and wonders why he snaps bits or worst the screw and with them being ph2 bits it doesn't take much doing !

Or when they use a PZ 2 when they should use a PH 2 or other way round and wonder why heads get chewed up

Painters and plasterers who cover your tools in paint , plaster and dust , ask and I'll move them , just coz your tools are a shit pit I don't want mine like it

• Like 1

Guys that gripe about smoking on the job.But they are the Smartphone zombies most of the time.I smoke and work.But they can not work and operate there phone.

I agree with you on that. My problem with smoking isn't the time it takes, it's that on a residential site, usually a customer occupied home, I don't think non smoking guys on site and especially my customers should have to deal with smelling the smoke or having butts thrown in their yard.. To solve this I just ask that they walk to the street or to the dumpster, if its far enough from the house, to have their smoke and then properly dispose of the butt.

I see it as mostly a respect and courtesy to my customers and also a distinction between my company and all the others.

• Like 3

Workers stepping over logs and branches without the chain break on, One guy had a very close call as he stepped over a biggish log he tripped and his reaction make him squeeze the trigger cutting right into his ppe. Lets just say his tan never came back that day. 

Oh I also add people who don't put their extension cords away properly and just throw them in a big pile gets on my goat.

Workers stepping over logs and branches without the chain break on, One guy had a very close call as he stepped over a biggish log he tripped and his reaction make him squeeze the trigger cutting right into his ppe. Lets just say his tan never came back that day.

Oh I also add people who don't put their extension cords away properly and just throw them in a big pile gets on my goat.

I don't use a chainsaw often and honestly never even thought about doing this.. Thanks for posting! Very good tip

1. As a surveyor, contractors who park equipment in my way.

2. Contractors who want everything staked, even though after they dig the trench for the sanitary sewer the hubs/nails for the storm sewer and water will be gonzo. One company that has us do some work for them is notorious for this. Of course, it's a game they play, bid too much work for their crews to accomplish in the allotted time frame so go looking for others to blame for their screwups. I really wish the bosses would start writing contracts triple charging restakes...

3. Obnoxiously loud equipment.

3a. Back-up beepers. Our vans have them. I've noticed a lot of the new equipment is coming with alerts that sounds more like scratching (sorta) and that is much better.

4. Having to use DeWalt rotary hammers rather than Milwaukee. Nah, just kidding. I'm just happy to have one. Every other place I've worked had one rotary hammer, usually gas or 110 powered, for the whole company. Not one in every van.

My pet peeves are when im cutting studs or blocking and im marking the cut lines on the wood and someone takes the saw to use it and then doesnt bring it back to me... so now i have to stop what im doing walk over and grab the saw back that drives me nuts or when other trades ask to borrow a tool or ladder or just plugs into your genie like bring your own tools or ladders or power your a "professional " trades men be prepared

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My pet peeves are when im cutting studs or blocking and im marking the cut lines on the wood and someone takes the saw to use it and then doesnt bring it back to me... so now i have to stop what im doing walk over and grab the saw back that drives me nuts or when other trades ask to borrow a tool or ladder or just plugs into your genie like bring your own tools or ladders or power your a "professional " trades men be prepared

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

How about someone grabs your saw and changes the depth to rip some ply. Then just sets it back down, you go to cut a 2x and no dice! I do that enough to myself!