Loaning your tools out

WeldfabNeil

I loaned out my fairly new Bosch circular saw to a co worker an it came back all messed up. The blade guard is bent badly an the base plate is twisted as well. I was somewhat irritated with the guy an just told him to keep it. He did give me 140 bucks.

That brings up the question do you loan your tools out?

Personally a year an a half ago I never would consider it. Today I am a little more willing to thoe. We had a house fire an some people generously loaned or gave my family stuff. It sort of changed my view on loaning out my stuff. So now days I loan my stuff out to people if need be. If it's a tool I need at work I won't loan it out but if it's something I don't need for a few days I will loan it out.

There are only a couple guys that I lend tools to. These are guys that break down their tile saws and clean the motors and pumps at the end of the job. They actually do oil changes on their worm drives, you get it. When we lend each other tools we get it back in better condition.

If I borrow a saw for a job, it comes back to them with a new blade just as a thanks.

Anyone outside of this circle is SOL.

• Like 1

Definitely depends on the person asking. Most of my friends would buy me a new whatever if they wrencked my tool...but those guys I'd also be willing to help them fix whatever.

Then there is one guy at my shop, buys mostly crappy tools and doesn't take care of them. If he needs to borrow something, I pay attention...but he is very respectful to other's tools, I think it's because he can't afford to replace them.

Neighbors? Two of my neighbors I'd let them borrow whatever they want, anyone else is SOL.

They should replace anything they wreck with the same or better model of the same maker. That's just how a decent human would handle that situation, accidents happen.

I don't loan out tools. My brother has destroyed everything I lent him so now the shop is off limits. It's different for people when they don't own the machine. It's also different for family. They think you might the occasional "oops". I will say in your case with the fire Fletcher, yeah, that's a different story. I do allow fpeople in the shop to play around with some of my tools and my Mother in Law wants to learn how to turn on the lathe and she just got to try out my Powermatic...she loved it

The only two people that I will loan tools to are my dad and brother. Mainly because they are like me when it comes to tools, they take great care of there tools. If anyone else wants to borrow my tools, they come with a free operator...me! I don't have a lot of tools and they aren't the greatest but anyone that knows me knows that I take great care of my gear.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

it goes both ways too, I will not loan out tools nor will  I borrow any either......I don't need/want to replace some piece of junk because it broke and of course it was mint when I got it......

it goes both ways too, I will not loan out tools nor will  I borrow any either......I don't need/want to replace some piece of junk because it broke and of course it was mint when I got it......

Same here Comp. I don't borrow either. I'd feel terrible if I broke something. Plus, blades cost money too

I had a lot of older Harbor Freight power tools in my collection. Times were tough and I did what I needed to survive. :)

When someone asked me to borrow a tool I would just hand them something from that collection and said to just keep it  They loved it and I was able to make an upgrade.

I generally do not loan tools out, on our rare occasion to only guys a really trust. As for the other way around I refuse to borrow tools, the last thing I want to do is muck somebodies bad boy up, rather just go buy something or manage what I got. Sometimes things happen and if it's my tool it's one thing but I refuse to be that guy.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad has a saying and that's " do someone a favour and it usually comes back and bites you on the arse " !!

I don't lend kit out as it never benefits me in any way and usually the people that want to borrow tools can never return the favour ?

It's a bit like mates that you do odd jobs for to help them out most of them aren't able to repay the favour as most have got office jobs so the best they can do is give you a pencil sharpener or something !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm it really depends who is asking to borrow.  My father can take what ever the hell he wants.  That man's loaned me and im sure has lost many tools by me in my younger days, so thats a no brainer.  There are very few friends who I trust enough to use my tools.

It's a very short list or I know they won't be using the tool for long. If i know they are drilling a few holes or putting a few screws in I might lend out a tool. I helped a senior neighbor put some garage organizer up. He was struggling using an old corded B&D corded drill and some worn out bits. Broke out the M12 impact driver and got it done in minutes. The poor old guy was like where was that tool my entire life he couldn't believe how easy it was to use.

• Like 1