Looking for good stud finder.

Trident167

I'm looking for a good stud finder/scanner. I have used Stanley and Zircon and theres always seems to be issues with detection. Most of the time it works but I always get beeps in spots where there shouldn't be a stud. If I recheck it, it will then show it in the spot it should be. It raises doubts, wastes time and it becomes frustrating.

I was looking at the Bosch GMS120, Milwaukee 12v SubScanner and Franklin 710.

Anyone use any of these? Would you recommend?

I have never used any on your list, but if memory serves me, I think the Bosch was getting some pretty mediocre reviews although I have not used it myself. I have a Craftsman I generally use, but it can be temperamental as well. I'm curious to see what everyone else has to say because I would like to get a decent unit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've been using the Franklin Sensor for a few months and while it's more pricey than the ones I've owned previously it's so much better and more reliable. Not only does it tell you when you hit the stud but it gives you the exact width as well. When my wife and I moved to our new house, it was probably the most used tool in my tool box for the first 4 months.

I have the Milwaukee M12 sub scanner it works good most of the time. Some crazy framing and conduit can confuse it at times though. I wouldn't mind trying the new Dewalt sub scanner it sounds like they fixed the problems the first generation had. I think one other thing is Dewalt should re release it with a 20v battery version. I know the 12v line is supposed to be their test and measurement line, but its been kind of neglected except of the new lasers. If I was a Dewalt Manager I would try to move the tools over to 20v, but that's just me I think you would sell more as the 20v is the bigger installed user base now.

I have the Bosch GMS120 and I have to respectfully say IT SUCKS. My favorite one is my DeWalt Wall Scanner.

I hate that it sucks for you Ricky, but thanks for confirming the reviews I read. I'm glad I didn't buy one now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've heard many positive reviews of the c.h. hanson magnetic stud finder. I can't find it locally at my hardware store. I've been using The StudBuddy. It's a simple magnetic stud finder. I had lackluster results in the past with digital stud finders.

I use Zircon and never had an issue.  I may have to read some more reviews from others, but my experience has always been perfect with it. The only time I may have an issue is when I move the stud finder right away and not make sure its set on the wall first before moving.  However, that would be my fault because the directions clearly state to sit for a second on the wall prior to sliding on wall to find the stud. Now I'm curious about the Franklin.

• 2 weeks later...