Truck Toolbox destroyed

Justin Hernandez

When you reach Mach One on the highway and your toolbox disintegrates and all your stuff gets sucked out. What a crappy day but at least no one got hurt or hit with the lid, almost shit myself when I heard the noise. I have no idea what happened it was locked as evident by the latch damage. Maybe someone tried to break into it before hand and it broke when I was driving. Husky brand toolbox I bought over ten years ago, abused daily, sad to see it go.

• Like 1

The hinge is what let go. Looks like it was already ready to break and the vacuum of the aerodynamics of the truck pulled up enough to turn the lid vertical, where it hit the downdraft forcing the lid to wrench the latch backwards to the point of failure, and release. 

Damn. Never though of that "problem". That sucks. :(

But on that notice. Whats up with all the trucks in America anyways? It's like some kind of cultural thing, or? 

Becouse it kinda feels like a lot of trouble not having a roof all the way to the back. You have to whatch out for rain, snow, secure and stack it more securely without a real wall, whatch out for thieves, and now also whatch out for the "highway vacuum". XD

Just seems like a lot of hassle.

But on that notice. Whats up with all the trucks in America anyways? It's like some kind of cultural thing, or?

Becouse it kinda feels like a lot of trouble not having a roof all the way to the back. You have to whatch out for rain, snow, secure and stack it more securely without a real wall, whatch out for thieves, and now also whatch out for the "highway vacuum". XD

Yeah, accessing things in an open bed truck is easier than a van, there is more leg room in the cab, easy to get a truck with 4x4 drive, 4 wheel drive van is rare as a $3 bill, pulls trailers and more weight better.

I use a sprinter van for work, but it's mostly service work, each type of vehicle has its own advantages

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Trucks are the new luxury car in the states. Big Cadillac's went away to GMC Denali Pickups and Ford Platinum editions. The nice thing about a pick up is you can load up bulk goods like stone. I used mine to haul the landscaping rock for my front yard. and small boulders I used for decoration. People get covers for their pickup bed, but they are nice to have.

Sorry to hear about that man, glad everyone is safe.

Trucks are the new luxury car in the states. Big Cadillac's went away to GMC Denali Pickups and Ford Platinum editions. The nice thing about a pick up is you can load up bulk goods like stone. I used mine to haul the landscaping rock for my front yard. and small boulders I used for decoration. People get covers for their pickup bed, but they are nice to have.

I believe that started with something that had to do with taxes. There was essentially a cost threshold where you'd have to pay a luxury tax on buying a new car, but there was a truck exemption because they could be used as work vehicles. I've heard of this reasoning a ton of times but at the time where these trucks were coming into the market I was too young to think about taxes.

Mix in that story with it just being a large country and a bit of heritage and you get a nation of pickup drivers. Think of the large, spreadout nations, they generally have the need for pickups or utes(El Camino) *see Australia.

Thanks guys. Guess it makes sense. A real story too, nice. :-D

Also, vehicles with smaller motors has been, and still is pretty important over here. Unless absolutelly a necessity. Since the tax on Horsepower and CO2 emissions quickly costs way more than the vehicle itself. Any more than 200-250 HP, and you could as well buy a small helicopter.

So the only luxery car you se a lot of roads in Norway, are Tesla's. Cheap and powerfull. But no work-vehicle exactly.

Seems like 35 % of Electrical-vehicles sold in western europe goes to norway, and 20% of them are Tesla Model S). Population wise, norway is just shy of 1,4 % of western europe population. LOL.

Here if you want a pull stuff, you get a farmer with tractor or call a tow truck. XD We don't have theese huge empty lands like in the states or australia.

And 99 % of the time, you'd want to cover your work-stuff. Given most days are rainy, snowy or windy of the year. XD But aren't transporting stone and heavy shit is just as easily with a van, no? Given the same motor I mean? The back of the van usually is lower placed too.

But 4-wheel drive is a must, no question about it. Would have though it was more common in van's as well though. But hey, now I learned something new. :)

Sorry to hear about this bud, but like you said at least no one was injured. I would shoot Husky an Email, with some detailed pictures just for the heck of it.  

I'm willing to bet they'd either replace it or give him some kind of voucher. It's clear the hinge failed but I seriously doubt it was broken into. Nobody would go through all the effort to break into a box in a way that wouldn't be completely obvious (dents from leverage, marks from a cutting wheel, etc...) all while not actually stealing anything of value from it, and then proceed to take the time to fold the top back into place to make it look like nothing happened. I mean come on. Also the keys used in toolboxes are very basic and common, I know I have 4 keys that will open my box without modification. My factor toolbox key also will open my buddy's tool box from a different brand, much to his disbelief. 

That said, I haven't locked my toolbox in 10 years except once at an airport, and nobody has ever touched anything inside of it. Needless to say it's not empty. It has as much to do with where you live as anything. 

We have a friend that works for LAPD that takes his cars to the shop and he was telling us awhile back that these new cars are getting easier to steal because it's a s easy as hacking a computer just hack the another alarm to work with the type cars you want and they will unlock and start the cars....crazy

• Like 1

Thanks everyone it does suck but no one was hurt so that's what counts. I did lose some stuff, any parts that were in a small cardboard box are gone. I had a magnetic strip screwed to the underside of the lid with some screwdrivers and small tools on it. I didn't look for the lid because I was probably a mile away from where it ripped off by the time I was able to pull over. I saw all the cars coming down all the lanes so I knew it wasn't on the highway or else I would have gone back and took it off the road. It really scared the crap outta me it took a few minutes for me to calm down. The turnpike is a dangerous place so I needed to get back on the road quickly and safely. This could have been a lot worse someone could have gotten into an accident, it even could have rained and then the rest of the stuff in the box would have been trash. I'm trying to get the truck back together so I could go back to work, buying new stuff sucks. Crazy thing is my buddy called me today and said they broke into his truck Friday morning and stole a Demo Chipping Hammer that's worth over a $1000 and he couldn't go to work without it. Building America one house at a time proves to be very difficult. Everyone stay safe out there and keep your tools save as well!!

• Like 2

Dang that sux man. I wonder if only one side was latched and the right amount of wind got under it to puul it off? I know mine has been latching on one side lately. I need to work on that. Just in case it could happen to mine. If that's what happened? It just looks like it from the one side so bent back. Sorry man. Tractor supply had a good deal on some of you have one. Or check online.

Millerz