i hate dewalt bit sets

framer

dewalt is always coming out with different combinations of bit sets. they for the most part use the same style cases, with the horrible inserts that makes it a pain to re-insert bits.  they lay them out to look pretty in packaging, but they suck to use.

i actually bought some milwaukee shockwave bit sets, and the cases alone are worth buying them for. easy to remove and install bits. sorry, but i;m a bit anal about bits, and hate them being disorganized.

pic i found online showing how the bits pivot out.

o01ZudD.jpg

The shockwave case is nice , easy to remove..good bits...Dewalts flex torque are very nice...I got used to the inserts,,, I change the inside around from stock to fit my selection....that feature is nice,,,..Bosch has a nice set up ...i use differently companies (colored) for different bits just to make it easier to grab the right one.....I really only use T15.,T20,,T25,,P2.,Sq2,,Sq1,,..

17 hours ago, framer said:

dewalt is always coming out with different combinations of bit sets. they for the most part use the same style cases, with the horrible inserts that makes it a pain to re-insert bits.  they lay them out to look pretty in packaging, but they suck to use.

i actually bought some milwaukee shockwave bit sets, and the cases alone are worth buying them for. easy to remove and install bits. sorry, but i;m a bit anal about bits, and hate them being disorganized.

pic i found online showing how the bits pivot out.

o01ZudD.jpg

I find them easy to insert bits but thats just me.

40 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Phillips is not great but for whatever reason it sticks around so we gotta have the bits for it haha. I prefer square or torx.

Phillips #2 is the most common bit used in the states.

And the Maxi-Fit #2 bits grip the screws very well.

• Like 1

I use an Impact to drive screws regardless of size using the variable speed trigger.

I think the people stripping Phillips screws are using chuck drills to drive screws.

Now that's not to say someone who uses a chuck drill to drive screws everyday hasn't mastered it .

Just seems to be the DIY or new guy who is stripping a screw into wood or light gauge metal.

43 minutes ago, Jronman said:

torx is becoming increasingly common. framing screws to finish screws to cabinet screws. Some drywall screws are going square as well.

I love me some torx.

I actually think that's worse if you're using a cam-out tip to drive drywall screws, phillips would likely last a lot longer than square. Not may actually set drywall screws one at a time without depth control. 

9 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Ah,ya....do you ever install doors ? @Big Adam All door hinges are philips....about a million other items that come from non American countries use philips screws on there products that I must remove...before I use or install it.....no philips in the U.K. ?

Virtually all 'cross head' screws are Posidriv in the UK trade.

Philips is from the stone age.

Phillips vs Posidriv

I'm going to have to admit I've switched whatever I can in the shop to posis and use all my centrotec and Wiha bits to accomplish all my driving. Of course I spent a butt load on my Centrotec installers set but it's hands down the best kit I e ever owned. I've had it for over two years and haven't broken a tip yet. Having said that, I bought two second gen Milwaukee sets for general use and they seem pretty decent. I hardly ever use my older Dewalt black oxides, they break all the time.

I don't buy bit sets from anyone, just buy the bits I use regularly in bulk. 

As for Philips or Pozi, I find both just as good as each other, but you gotta have the right bit! 

Torx seem ok, but I'd wager their a pita to remove once they've been in for a while and are full of crap. Philips and Pozi can be cleaned out fairly easily. 

Slot screws should be banned! 

• Like 1

Slotted isn't that bad with the Wera lasertip...but I still almost always throw away slotted hardware and replace it if I'm working on something.

Phillips with a good quality driver will not cam out when sufficiently tight like everyone says, it's very comparable to pozi. Hex and torx do tend to get stuck more often in the screw head. The problem with hex is that they make it in SAE and Metric so you have to carry soo many damn bits.