My recent project

NicholasShetley

Tonight we put the oil pan and chrome timing cover on with new gaskets and seals. The lifters are in as well. The engine sounds like it makes great compression. There isn't a whole lot left to do but wire everything up and hook up the lines and finish the interior and then it should be done. We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 1

Here is the engine now. It is as far as we can get it done here. We haven't fired it up yet though as we need to break in the cam. That consists of running it at 2000-2500 rpms while fluctuating. Our shop is a mess right now but since the engine is done we can start on our many other projects at home.

We took out the engine to my grandpas place yesterday evening. I doubt it will be done in time for prom now. It is on the 26th and we still need to wire everything up and put the accessories on the engine and run the brake lines on the front end. I will probably wind up taking his 64 Corvette instead.

• Like 1

The transmission is now done other than painting the bottom of it. I put a new pan gasket and filter on it as well as new front and rear seals on it. It should be a good transmission as it had a very, very small amount of metal shavings in it. We also took the corvette out today for lunch and on a parts run today and it ran like a champ. It has a rebuilt 350 bored 30 over and has a small cam along with headers.

I went to prom in my buddy's 91 Lincoln Continental with plastic over the back glass.

I had a 5.0 Mustang, but the Lincoln provided much more room for my intended activities. Good thing to. On they way to the after prom we got stuck behind an accident where some dude got hit by a semi on the interstate. We sat there almost 3 hours.

By the time the road was re-opened I was to drunk to drive away.

• Like 1

The corvette made it home safe and sound. The only issue with it is that there is a loose connection on the temperature gauge but other than that it drove perfectly. Everyone loved the car but sadly the truck wasn't done. We have the dash pretty well wired up and are about ready to put the engine in soon. What's bad is my grandpa is already looking at another project car. He is wanting a mid 70's El Camino or a 40 or 41 chevy convertible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We now have the dash and lights wired up with the exception on the water temp gauge. We have all of the lights wired up and we tested them today and they all worked great. The headlights don't look the greatest in my opinion but they will work for now. We should be putting the engine and transmission in early next week. We will be burning rubber in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have the engine and transmission in now. We still need a driveshaft but we can't find one short enough so we will probably have to get one made. We will also have to make a grill for the radiator but we found some aluminum that will work. I polished that up and for the aluminum being scrap, it turned out fairly good. Overall it is starting to look like a hot rod now.

Thanks conductor! It is the same paint as the frame just in a rattle can. It is rust oleum sunrise red. I just thought I would let you guys know I have been working on this for almost a year now. I came in when my grandpa was working on getting the body ready for primer and we were working on boxing in the frame and beefing it up. My grandpa has been working on this for a whopping five years. If I remember correctly he traded an arc welder for it. It was just bits and pieces and what was there needed new metal. The top rounded portion if the cab just above the doors needed new metal along with the rocker panels and the entire floor of the bed and cab. This thing has made a complete turnaround. No one can believe what it looks like now compared to what it used to. Sadly I don't have any pictures of when he picked it up, I never did see it either though.

That Rustolium paint is durable stuff. I don't know how they can still make it that good with all the environmental rules they have now, but that paint will take a beating!! Looks really good Nicholas I would love to take on a project car or truck one of these days just for the fun of it. You never do any of these things to make money in the end. You always end up spending way more cash than you ever planned on spending because you decide to "upgrade" things while its easy to do now.

Don't expect it to be like it is on TV DR. One of my friends dad was offered a job at a local custom shop. They wanted him to build a total of five rat rods in a total of fifteen weeks in his home garage. There is no way in hell he could have one built in fifteen weeks. Look at how long we have been building this.

• Like 1

I can take a lifetime or more for some projects. Look at how many uncompleted projects get sold at estate sales, or moving sales. The amount of time it takes is a commitment. Once kids and other responisbilties fit it in it's hard to justfity the Mustang or Chevelle or any restoration you might be working on. I think Family life shuts most of them down for a long time or, forever.

Well the thing is on tv that they buy everything new, they get their tools furnished for them and they have 15-20 guys on one car. The only show that I feel is realistic is counting cars. They never tell how long it takes to do a vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...