My recent project

NicholasShetley

• 2 weeks later...

I would say we are almost 90% done with the truck now. We need to hook up the transmission cooler tomorrow and pick up the driveshaft soon. We are going to have to make a lower radiator hose because we can't find one at any local parts store. We did get the alternator brackets made and installed. I would have thought that out of 100 million small block Chevys out there one would have had brackets that would have fit but no. We just copied the brackets off of the Corvette. We finally got the brakes bled after two different master cylinders and three proportions valves and we had to modify the pedal so it would go on the other side of the column and be much easier to drive. Although this thing will be hard enough to drive since I am 6'3". I will keep you guys updated as we get more done.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have the radiator and hoses hooked up. We had to make the lower radiator hose since you can't just run to the parts store and get one. We welded a couple of bent pieces of exhaust tubing together and I polished it up. We also have the driveshaft cut down and balanced. We are getting closer every day.

• Like 1

We now have the engine primed and it runs 45 pounds of oil pressure with a slow speed drill so the bearings are in great shape. The engine seems to run good compression as well for a stock small block. Right now we are just trying to get it running since a lot of the stuff can be done anytime. My grandpa wants to get it certified by the NSRA and there are certian things you need for that such as emergency brakes and wipers and other small things. We also have the grill shell painted and have the grill installed in it. I tried to buff it out to a mirror finish but that would have took it a while but it turned out much better than the both of us expected. I think it looks pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

We finally got it running today and started to break in the camshaft. That involves running the engine at 2000-2500 rpms for about 30 minutes to harden the cam. You also need to use break in oil or you will wipe out the cam in seconds. We had painted the headers with ceramic paint hoping that it wouldn't burn off in no time at all but it lasted maybe 30 seconds before it started flaking off. The paint on the engine held up well though. Overall I am extremely pleased with the Rustoleum paint. I didn't record any of it unfortunately but we aren't finished breaking it in either. It can only run 10 minutes at a time before it goes above 220 degrees. We will need to get a shroud and electric fan for it before we can drive it. The engine ran strong the whole time though. It also ran great oil pressure the entire time as well, it never dropped below 45 psi. The engine sounded great as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike! We now have the engine fully broke in and we now have about two hours of runtime on it. It hasn't burned any oil or leaked a drop. We did put another carberautor on it because the quadrajet that was on it flooded the engine at idle. My dad had a 600 cfm Holley at our house that was a good one and it worked like a charm. We also fixed the cooling issue as well by putting a fairly large electric fan on it. It puts out 2700 cfm of air. We have it mounted behind the grill. It now runs 180 degrees and for it being in a fully enclosed garage that is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have the carberautor on the truck tuned and it runs and starts great. We also had exhaust installed on it last week and that really toned it down. Before you couldn't talk with each other with open headers on the engine. We also finished up the interior other than install the seats. The seats might nor work though, I can't use the current ones. My knee gets caught between the steering wheel and the window crank. For me there isn't much room at all, but I am also about 6' 3" so that is understandable. From the floor to the top of the cab is 55-56 inches. I also took a couple videos of the engine running but they are too big to be uploaded here. They might have to be uploaded to YouTube. The pictures aren't wanting to upload either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, today I finally made it back out to my grandpas today. I live in a dorm in the campus of my tech school since I live 150 miles away. I do come back on weekends though. We went though the front end and tightened up everything and greased it as well. We also took it out on the road for a test run and it drove great for what it is. We did forget to hook up a vacuum line to the transmission so it didn't shift right. It definitely is not a slouch. All of the local car shows are starting next week and will go until about the end of October. We will try to take it to every show we can make it to.

• Like 1