Bad carpenter

LastOfTheVee8s

post-51515-0-48831400-1446072794_thumb.j

I own a townhouse and belong to a homeowners association that I pay dues to. They take care of everything on the outside of my house. My front porch was in need of being replaced so I called and they sent someone out. At this point in the job I noticed that the railings were not aligned properly. As a matter of fact I overheard one of the crew saying that it didn't look right. The railing on the stairs ends up being almost a foot higher than the railing on the landing. I came out and asked the main guy about the railings. He started giving me some nonsense about how it was technically all to code and some other bull. I'm sure he didn't like it but I told him how it should be done. He just continued to deny anything was wrong and said if I wanted it changed I'd have to call the property manager. Unfortunately even though it's my property he was hired by the property management. Well I called and had the property manager look into it and fortunately he agreed with me and it will be fixed. My question is, does anyone find this work acceptable? I've never seen it done like that before. It looks like he was trying to get away with something since he would have to get a little more material to do it right. Am I wrong or is this guy a bum?

another issue is the top step. the first step heading down off the landing should be approx 7" down. They made the first step flush with the landing.

look at the stairs in the distance to see the difference. He moved the railings up to keep the proper height above the tread.

hmm crown are not consistent, some stairs have bark facing out and some facing in.....why front posts so tall and the only wood treated?.....stair treat far to tall..... 

other stairs in back ground does have top tread leading out ( flush with landing) unless elevation is different your stairs have 6 risers were as next to you have 8 reason being riser is to tall......shotty work at best!

I'm not a carpenter and even I could do better than that. WhereTF did they find this guy? That looks terrible on multiple levels. Are the posts as tall as your neighbor's? It looks like they're almost as tall...but their carpenter didn't put the hand rail on TOP of the post!

PaulE is right but its not another issue, it's THE issue.... the stringers are cut completely wrong, you have one to many treads in there.. in order for him to make them meet the concrete where they do he should have eliminated the one tread and lengthened the run (horizontal tread depth) of each tread.

As the railing is now, he actually has it in the correct location for that framing (albeit wrong) if he were to just drop the top down to the correct location the railing wouldn't run parallel to the stairs and if he cuts down the lower post and drops the top then the railing will be to short...

Notice how the lower post is fixed to the front edge of a tread and the top post is set way back.. that might help explain the problem. By eliminating that top step, the deck becomes the top step and now the post is in the correct location.

The only way to fix it is for him to remove the railings and stairs and start over (he should be able to reuse most of the materials.. Probably not the stringers though

If you need more explanation let me know and I'll try to help more

(If you want shorter step heights for each step he could also recut them with the same number of steps and the same horizontal tread depth but just shorter vertical step height. Just another option incase you find those steps to tall each step)

PaulE is right but its not another issue, it's THE issue.... the stringers are cut completely wrong, you have one to many treads in there.. in order for him to make them meet the concrete where they do he should have eliminated the one tread and lengthened the run (horizontal tread depth) of each tread.

As the railing is now, he actually has it in the correct location for that framing (albeit wrong) if he were to just drop the top down to the correct location the railing wouldn't run parallel to the stairs and if he cuts down the lower post and drops the top then the railing will be to short...

Notice how the lower post is fixed to the front edge of a tread and the top post is set way back.. that might help explain the problem. By eliminating that top step, the deck becomes the top step and now the post is in the correct location.

The only way to fix it is for him to remove the railings and stairs and start over (he should be able to reuse most of the materials.. Probably not the stringers though

If you need more explanation let me know and I'll try to help more

(If you want shorter step heights for each step he could also recut them with the same number of steps and the same horizontal tread depth but just shorter vertical step height. Just another option incase you find those steps to tall each step)

Good call John you beat me to it also if this guy is talking about code he missed this one Open risers are permitted by code with a catch because they may not be large enough to permit the passage of a 4” sphere and from what I see a 4" ball would pass through with on problem.

You would think that he would have just traced the old stringer. 

• Like 1

It looks like the old railing were framed with the top and bottom rails nailed to the posts on the flat. When he put the new ones on he attached the top and bottom rails on edge. He can they attach the spindles to the railings on the outside of the rails just like many decks are constructed.

Not sure why he was so adamant about not putting spindles in.