What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 8/16/2016 at 1:01 PM, Rutter said:

Bought the hackzall and got the impact for free from Home Depot. Kaizen inserts sent me a bunch of foam to use

image.jpeg

Looks great.  I don't suppose you'd know a good place to buy Kaizen foam?  Sellers on Amazon want $34 for a single sheet of the 2" thick stuff, which seems a bit crazy to me.

• Like 1

Found a good deal on a DCK299D1T1. A 996, USA 887 to replace the Chinese one I sold today, the FlexVolt fast charger (hell yeah!) and a FlexVolt battery (probably re-sell) and another compact battery (likely re-sell). Haven't seen any in the wild so it could be a "back of the truck special"... going back and forth on it

Edit: Turns out buddy sent me the wrong link, ended up with the DCK299M2 for just over half of what I see them at stores for. Would prefer 5.0s but I'll likely resell the 4.0s new and wait on 6.0s lol. Fairly happy overall anyway: great deal on brand new gear and the 996 and 887 are USA. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Up to 6 now, 7 of you count the FL12 light.

Corded RO sander

PS22

PS32

PS42

GWS 10,8-76 V-EC 

GKS 10,8V-LI  on the way!

Oh hey that reminds me, I had a very nice corded Bosch recip saw that was stolen on a job site one night..... I was bummed.

Getting the kit home, I can say I don't need to question that Milwaukee and Dewalt have different ideas of what a full-size drill is lol, the 996 is a monster. The chuck is very nice, very heavy duty, I was already impressed with the 796, the 996 chuck is even better. The 3 speed transmission is hefty, it requires some grunt to switch gears, so much so that I find myself skipping second gear in both directions lol. Also a bonus is that the 115 charger charges at 4 amps, 1 faster than my M18. The 112s I've had (and sold) are 2 amp. Happy camper over here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Those relay adjusting pliers are incredible.  They look thinner than almost any needle nose but I guess that's easier with flat jaws.

They're the thinnest pliers I've ever seen, the tips are about as thick as a standard utility knife blade(not the cutting edge). I wanted thin but this blew me away, it's a lot better than I imagined. These are more like tweezers than pliers...though all the wide-jawed tweezers I own are thicker than these pliers.

Compared to tweezers, pliers are on the right:

EIrIYNh.jpg

ULiuF6l.jpg

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Bought that hand warmer a few years back for my dad, he uses it hunting and ice fishing and is a big fan. 

Good to hear. I saw it got some not so great reviews - mostly from folks that seem to think it should heat your hands instantaneously. I got it more for the same uses as your dad, and for the wife to maybe use when she comes out in the woods with me.

• Like 1

Yeah it works well. It's not meant to keep you warm for 15 minutes at a time by popping your hands in for 30 seconds lol. Works well in outdoor situations where pockets are cold and stiff (ie work jacket in the winter). Also I've read of guys using them for acoustiseal, etc. to keep them productive in the winter. Then your next tube is somewhat less viscous when your current one runs out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Doesn't sound like it:

Well then, I'm glad I got one before they're gone, assuming it works good like Bremon said. It gets toasty warm in there, trying it in the house here, but mid winter will be the test.

Needed to grab a loaner ball joint press, so made the hour drive to the city - if you can call it that, at like 8,000 pop. Grabbed this metric hex set, so I could do the brakes on the wife's winter-beater Escape. Looked at buying a press, to avoid the inconvenience, but most anything online was China-made, and all had reviews where some had broken on folks.

MetricHexSet.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, regopit said:

Not a power tool but it will be my rolling tool box. I will pick it up Wednesday

. s-l1600.jpg

I work out of a 6x12 myself, I don't know where you live but I hope it's up north with a black trailer. My white trailer sees temps around 140F at the ceiling on the average day. 

With the vent open. 

19 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I work out of a 6x12 myself, I don't know where you live but I hope it's up north with a black trailer. My white trailer sees temps around 140F at the ceiling on the average day. 

With the vent open. 

I live in Maryland and we get some high temps but it is only for a few months. It has an insulated ceiling and a reflective roof and that should help. I got a great deal on it 7 x 14 with 16" on center floor and wall and a bunch of other extras for $3,200 I can over look the black.