What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

3 hours ago, sparky603 said:

Great find, at half the original price!

Been meaning to get a second one, as the wife loves mine, and sometimes I forget to get it back into the truck. Plus, 2 in an attic sometimes wouldn't be a bad thing. I'll be looking for that deal this weekend.

I actually set mine up to blow on my recliner in the living room and when I work on the back porch or in front I tote it with me. In the garage I have a high velocity fan but sometimes I use the M18 to blow sawdust from my face or workpiece. When I was using my rotary tool to hand carve the dog's toy box paw print the saw dust would shoot up into my full face mask and block my view...this helped a LOT.

The box I'm talking about:

pu1U2qh.jpg

I might tote this second one to the shop with me for soldering smoke and to get a breeze on the workbench. I HATE still air.

• Like 1

bought another Festool guide rail. the 2700 mm so I can cut 8' pieces of plywood. Also got some CMT wax. Gonna try it for lubrication/friction reduction. Its specific purpose is to cool down CMT hole saws but also is supposed to act as lubrication. I might try it on some drill bits but mostly will try on my guide rails.

474_1356_fz_552-wax.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jronman said:

bought another Festool guide rail. the 1400 mm so I can cut 8' pieces of plywood. Also got some CMT wax. Gonna try it for lubrication/friction reduction. Its specific purpose is to cool down CMT hole saws but also is supposed to act as lubrication. I might try it on some drill bits but mostly will try on my guide rails.

474_1356_fz_552-wax.jpg

That for wood or metal? I would guess wood.

47 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

That for wood or metal? I would guess wood.

Well your supposed to apply to the hole saw I think then it is supposed to help prolong the life of the bit. Keep it cooler and provide lubrication. I will have to look into it some more. I could see it making sense either way. I am going to try it one my guide rails. I will apply, let dry, then buff it off with a clean rag.

• Thanks 1

Going to hold off on buying a brushless drill until I research all of the options and see what kind of deals I can find after Thanksgiving. So, I ordered a set of Milwaukee Red Helix drill bits and a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits for my impact today.

5a0b4b97e9f71_ScreenShot2017-11-14at2_58_12PM.thumb.png.c66be60dee6dcf1a52113e8e5ac888cc.png

1 hour ago, jtkendall said:

Going to hold off on buying a brushless drill until I research all of the options and see what kind of deals I can find after Thanksgiving. So, I ordered a set of Milwaukee Red Helix drill bits and a set of Bosch Daredevil spade bits for my impact today.

5a0b4b97e9f71_ScreenShot2017-11-14at2_58_12PM.thumb.png.c66be60dee6dcf1a52113e8e5ac888cc.png

If you want to take a chance, wait until after the holidays.  Most of the Black Friday and holiday specials go for insane clearance prices if you don't mind the risk of missing out on everything.  I got my original DeWalt brushless combo (DCD790 and DCF886, DCL040, and DS300 box) for just a few dollars more than the drill or impact kit cost at the time.  Since then, there have been some good deals on everything from the entry-level kits to the premium ones.

2 hours ago, fm2176 said:

If you want to take a chance, wait until after the holidays.  Most of the Black Friday and holiday specials go for insane clearance prices if you don't mind the risk of missing out on everything.  I got my original DeWalt brushless combo (DCD790 and DCF886, DCL040, and DS300 box) for just a few dollars more than the drill or impact kit cost at the time.  Since then, there have been some good deals on everything from the entry-level kits to the premium ones.

these the kind of deals you find only in store? Will there be any that apply to online as well?

3 minutes ago, Jronman said:

these the kind of deals you find only in store? Will there be any that apply to online as well?

Honestly, I have little idea besides the fact that many stores have decentralized clearance pricing.  An online price usually reflects the corporate pricing, unlike Lowe's, which has had individualized (and now it seems, often inaccurate) store prices on its site and app.

2 hours ago, fm2176 said:

If you want to take a chance, wait until after the holidays.  Most of the Black Friday and holiday specials go for insane clearance prices if you don't mind the risk of missing out on everything.

I'm not 100% sold on needing a drill because I can find most bits in hex shank for impacts, I might just choose to get a new brushless impact instead, so I'm not too worried about missing out on anything. I have my eye on the Makita XDT12 which won't go down past the $25 off deal Acme is currently running anyway.

35 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Last year I found a Makita 18v grinder in store for $50 after the holidays but online it was still at full price, so it's very much per store based on their stock and what they want to move to make room.

Made it over to HD yesterday to look at all of the holiday displays. Only found two items I could not live without...

5a0c202702510_IMG_05061.thumb.JPG.211aa3a6ce2989ab41206bcb04aab9b9.JPG

Military discount gave me a net 3% better price after tax than anywhere else on the router. Just wanted to test the 60t blades to see if they will be useful. Advent of track saws has somewhat lowered the expected use of the regular circular saws for finish type cuts, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Took a look at the packout stack while I was there. Going to stick with the tough system for now, as I don't see enough advantage, even at the discounted price, to buy into a second system. That HD had zero other packout units, other than the special buys, which leaves me with no easy way to inspect any of the rest of system to get a comprehensive view of the product offerings. Pics on the net just don't do it for me.

• Like 3

Got a few clamps from Menards. Their masterforce brand and they are big and beefy. The 12" one is $10. The 24" are $12. Bessey equivalents are at least $30 a piece and they look exactly the same.

FB marketplace find. Unused Freud biscuit joiner for $40. Could have used this a few times for alignment reasons.

Also received a package from @Stecorarius. Bosch recip saw and Makita brushless grinder. Took about 5 minutes to clean them up and they look like new. Thanks again! Much appreciated. #tiacrewbf43134e375ede8311494c29650282a9.jpg16c1d487a64daa4169555f52d4efa4ba.jpg78f71f5d6569aa46b9c8a76a7c26b308.jpga1dde0f7890c5fd399ed078eab759f6f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Had to go and buy some new water hose quick connects and ended up in the sale section again. Bought another set of Milwaukee knives, the larger Coast light(which I hate, it's going back). Empire contour gauge which is a LOT nicer than the General they have at Lowe's that I almost bought. Swanson mini square because I've been drafting up wood projects and have been tired of going to the garage to get my steel ruler...some neat stuff on paper thus far!

ngqqrh5.jpg

• Like 2