Flexvolt Battery Won't Charge

Jronman

So today I was working in my garage and one of my flex 6.0 batteries got low and didn't have enough juice for the table saw so I went to plug it in and to my surprise it wouldn't charge. the light may show solid or blink for a few seconds then show solid. I tried multiple chargers and multiple outlets. I even tested other batteries and they were fine. The chargers do not say hot cold delay either. The battery doesn't feel warm to the touch either. Not sure what to do. Anyone else have issues?

Warranty it. It's probably just below the voltage threshold for the charger to charge the battery. The low voltage may have damaged cells so although you could charge it and bring it back to life it might now be the same again...and doing that would probably void your warranty, I'm sure there are electronics inside that can see if the batteries were hooked up to something not-Dewalt.

2 hours ago, Framer joe said:

There is a way to "jump " it ..to bring it back...it's on you tube...but I don't recommend it...listen to the guys above, just swap it out for free....shit happens, they make a lot of packs, always a bad apple somewhere or like said , the battery drained to low..Dewalt will hook you up...

What's funny is that I got into arguments about being able to do this. Everyone said it was for NiCad only, then a couple guys on youtube do it and now everyone agrees it will work.

• Like 1

Lithium cells have very strict tolerances that must be adhered to. Don't go over voltage, don't go under. If you've managed to deep-discharge it, it is possible to "jump start" it, but it'll never be the same again. They have plenty of protection built-in to protect the cells, but you can't protect a duff cell. Duff cells happen, that's part of mass-production, especially with lithium cells. 

If it's borked, just let Dewalt swap it. 

Just saw on IG someone jump a dead pack by connecting wires on the positive and negative terminals to a charged pack, held them maybe 5 seconds, enough to bring life back to charge properly, but this can only be a temp fix if it happens once it would be likely to happen again due to an internal failure, just warranty it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just saw on IG someone jump a dead pack by connecting wires on the positive and negative terminals to a charged pack, held them maybe 5 seconds, enough to bring life back to charge properly, but this can only be a temp fix if it happens once it would be likely to happen again due to an internal failure, just warranty it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so DeWALT replied back and they said I can ship my battery to some DeWALT place in Kansas and has already given me an email with a shipping label.

Do I ship the battery to have DeWALT look at it or do I try one of the locations from the 68959 zip search on DeWALT's website for authorized service centers?

I only really found one place that looked like it sold DeWALT items so I figured I would be able to try em on Saturday. I would've expected Builders or Home Depot to show up but guess not? I am in no rush I got 6 other batteries to use in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

so DeWALT replied back and they said I can ship my battery to some DeWALT place in Kansas and has already given me an email with a shipping label.

Do I ship the battery to have DeWALT look at it or do I try one of the locations from the 68959 zip search on DeWALT's website for authorized service centers?

I only really found one place that looked like it sold DeWALT items so I figured I would be able to try em on Saturday. I would've expected Builders or Home Depot to show up but guess not? I am in no rush I got 6 other batteries to use in the meantime. 

you're in the middle of nowhere!

looks like kansas is the closest service center to you.  i would just ship it to them.

Builders or Home Depot don't repair tools, of course they aren't service centers. If you are looking for a place that is a DeWALT service center, Service centers might be located in a larger local hardware store or even in an electric motor repair business. Chances are good that they may actually be a service center for more than one brand especially with the Stanley Black and Decker family.

I am fortunate that I have a service center about 25 miles from the house in Rocking R hardware and their big fall tool sate is 2 weeks away where manufacturer reps will be in to demonstrate some of the latest and greatest products around as well as offer good discounts for the sale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

I'm probably just ship it with the shipping label DeWALT sent me. Sure I may be out of one battery but when I got 6 other flexvolt 2/6 batteries its not that big of a deal.

They are pretty good with getting stuff back to you quick.  I paid to ship my dual charger to a service center (I contacted them directly, should have called DeWalt) and had a new one less than a week later.  I did contact DeWalt about a busted DS450, used the shipping label, and got a new one a little over a week later.  Not too bad, all told.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...