New Shop Underway!

ChrisK

lighting can make a huge difference, also while you have the walls open run a dehumidifier (if you don't have AC) you would not believe how much better it is after a few days even in winter/colder months......

Yea it's pretty crazy how much humidity can make a difference in how you feel. I have noticed if its damp and cold out its way worse than normal it just seems to get to your bones more so. This winter so far has been awesome compared to last years.

The humidity in the summer in Missouri is somewhere above 75 percent most of the time. There is a huge difference when there is a day with no humidity. The air temp can be 90 but it will feel like 110. My aunt that lives in Arizona came out to visit family and she could hardly take the heat.

lighting can make a huge difference, also while you have the walls open run a dehumidifier (if you don't have AC) you would not believe how much better it is after a few days even in winter/colder months......

Hey Comp, so I am adding three fluorescent lights but...I just found three different LED style lights at Lowes. They are pretty reasonable, not as cheap as the kits but max out at 65 for the two bar LED light. I will put those in as I have a junction box I can piggy back those off of. I have a family related electrician coming in next month to upgrade the house to 200 amp and I will have him run a new series of outlets into the shop. In my old one (on the other side in an l shaped corner) I added to fluorescent lights and six outlets. I'll have a decent amount of light there in no time! Problem will be as it always was, getting plywood downstairs and projects out. I have to tear down plywood before going down the basement steps and projects have to be smaller than 4' width or final assembly is outside! It's funny about the humidifier too. I have two that I run all summer cause it is so humid in New England but during the winter months it's drier than a bone, interestingly I have had some project wood down there for over a year and it hasn't warped.

Went to Lowes today for the LED lights....sold out :(

Made some headway in moving stuff over. Not even close yet but I figure out where the Kapex, Planer and DW745 are going. They Dewalt saw is on a temporary couple of saw horses and a piece of plywood til I figure out if I'm going to buy a stand or just put it on the last shop table I built. The table the Planer is on will probably be a permanent fixture. Additionally, I was dicking around with my large diameter anti static hose (don't ask....saw that pic of the VS model and the snow blower, was down in the basement by myself...Barry White was playing.....) attached to my Kapex and Midi and it fits the Planer perfectly. Perfect position for both tools. I'll be able to chop of 12' material as well as plane smaller boards and have DC right there. Electrician should be in this month to up the amps to 200 service and I can install lights as soon as they're in. I also figured out a place for the free weight cage and Bowflex in my old work area. I have the guide rails for my track saw temporarily hung on the half wall I built and will work on a final layout.

• Like 1

Hey chris I know this is a long shot but ask yourself 

how long do you plan on living there and having where you are as a shop?

reason I ask is maybe just maybe it might be a consideration to blow hole in one of the walls and add a door to have direct access? just a thought.......

• Like 1

Thanks for that Comp and I won't put it off either. I have a bulkhead on the table end of my house where my small shop was. Ends up, it is cracking. I talked to my neighbor, Guy, who happens to be a retired Union concrete guy as I wanted to fix the cracks but maybe lengthen the actual bulkhead so it is not as as steep. This way I could get 4x8 sheets downstairs a little easier. The bulkhead is really the only opening I want to have as it is ideally located on the table end. I have a cape but the layout is opposite of most, my front and rear entries are on the gable ends not the length of the house. My lot is flat and level (not at all unlike my first girlfriend) so having a walk out isn't possible. I'm probably going to stay at least four years quite possible longer (Samantha wants to move to Florida....me not entitle so much...guess who will win? Hint....not me).

I'm probably going to stay at least four years quite possible longer (Samantha wants to move to Florida....me not entitle so much...guess who will win? Hint....not me).

why is it that all women want to move to florida?!?!     mine talks about it all the time, im holding firm for now but they sure do have their ways!     we already head down there at least once a year, mostly durring winter..    i dont mind that, and as the years go on ill probably start staying longer but i dont ever see myself staying down there for more than a few months a year and that is far, far into the future.. 

Well guys, my Mom and Dad and my brother Jeff and his family live down there. Throw in the fact Samantha is an equestrian and she loves the horse ranches out there (dunnellon and Ocala) and let's face it....I'm doomed. I'll be down there without an AARP card! WTH?!?!?!?!!?