What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, Theultimatehic said:

My bosch 12v stands up. You just have to buy the larger battery. 

At $69 a pop? Bosch just should have designed them to stand up with the small packs. Milwaukee's 12v Fuel drill stands up with a small battery and it's 1/3 larger than the Bosch in length (at least).

1 hour ago, Foneguy said:

Comes in handy on the small stuff .... no doubt 

I have both a Fatmax and a Lufkin 6' and they are handy, I prefer the Lufkin, has a nice tang but I'll play a round with this lil red toy for a while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aabee said:

At $69 a pop? Bosch just should have designed them to stand up with the small packs. Milwaukee's 12v Fuel drill stands up with a small battery and it's 1/3 larger than the Bosch in length (at least).

I love my Fuel drills but the m12 Fuel sort of stands up with the compact batteries. A breeze will knock it over...that being said, I don't know if I'd rather the Dewalt style 12v packs.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 11:29 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

IMG_20170315_221113166

I like the Makita bits holder

Had one of those bit holders for a while. When I saw it on the net I thought it looked like a bit of a gimmick but no, it's really nice and the magnet is strong. Nice that you can remove the outer sleeve to move any dust or crap that might get stuck to it.

• Like 1

When we bought the house 3 or 4 years ago the cabinets were in a terrible way. Nice oak cabinets, raised panel doors, etc, but they were painted by the previous owner and rather badly at that. I stripped them, sanded them, and refinished them in gunstock, even did 4 coats of poly. They turned out beautiful. 

Well, as we redid everything, she opted for a darker stain. Custom color (blended by me only because no off the shelf color matches the flooring) and now as I make my way into the kitchen it's become obvious that the cabinets are going to drive her crazy. She's basically begged me to redo them and I've all but refused. 

The reality is that I was going to do redo them regardless. Guy couldn't ask for a better wife. She's a great mom and takes good care of me and tolerates my tool addiction. She's a good cook, good with money, and doesn't look half bad either. If I came home tomorrow and told her I'd quit my job to start a band she'd (after the initial shock) likely support me. However, being a tool junkie of some experience, I leveraged my power in the situation to extort a 100 lb. soda blaster out of the deal.

IMG_6953.JPG.e1f47fe8b3d7298f0571cce7de8e29f2.JPG

After seeing Jimbo sanding his table and chairs, I started having flashbacks. Any night now I was going to start waking up in cold sweats from the PTSD brought on by the last time I refinished them. After Comp's comments, I watched no less than 30 videos online of people using them on wood and I'm convinced this is the best way to go. Best part about it? Not a dime of it came out of my "secret" tool budget that she totally knows all about but pretends she doesn't. I don't know how well it will work out, but I'm $200 worth of willing to find out!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

When we bought the house 3 or 4 years ago the cabinets were in a terrible way. Nice oak cabinets, raised panel doors, etc, but they were painted by the previous owner and rather badly at that. I stripped them, sanded them, and refinished them in gunstock, even did 4 coats of poly. They turned out beautiful. 

Well, as we redid everything, she opted for a darker stain. Custom color (blended by me only because no off the shelf color matches the flooring) and now as I make my way into the kitchen it's become obvious that the cabinets are going to drive her crazy. She's basically begged me to redo them and I've all but refused. 

The reality is that I was going to do redo them regardless. Guy couldn't ask for a better wife. She's a great mom and takes good care of me and tolerates my tool addiction. She's a good cook, good with money, and doesn't look half bad either. If I came home tomorrow and told her I'd quit my job to start a band she'd (after the initial shock) likely support me. However, being a tool junkie of some experience, I leveraged my power in the situation to extort a 100 lb. soda blaster out of the deal.

After seeing Jimbo sanding his table and chairs, I started having flashbacks. Any night now I was going to start waking up in cold sweats from the PTSD brought on by the last time I refinished them. After Comp's comments, I watched no less than 30 videos online of people using them on wood and I'm convinced this is the best way to go. Best part about it? Not a dime of it came out of my "secret" tool budget that she totally knows all about but pretends she doesn't. I don't know how well it will work out, but I'm $200 worth of willing to find out!

I do believe Mrs. Conductor should get a lovely gift !!!! Sounds like you've got a keeper !!!!! Enjoy blasting !!!

1 hour ago, Foneguy said:

I do believe Mrs. Conductor should get a lovely gift !!!! Sounds like you've got a keeper !!!!! Enjoy blasting !!!

I'm planning to take her on a cruise this summer without the kids, I just can't schedule it yet because of uncertainty at work.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I'm planning to take her on a cruise this summer without the kids, I just can't schedule it yet because of uncertainty at work.

That sounds great ... hope you guys enjoy !!!!!!!

19 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

That's a beautiful relationship... my wife sees packages at the door and assumes tool companies send them to me to try out because it happens quite often... However.. I don't exactly correct her when they are packages i purchased myself heheh

2 hours ago, FlaveNico said:

5874c934aab250dcd24f92e2588a7520.jpg had to finally pick one up. 79.99. Not a bad purchase and I like it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like mine, used it so much more than i ever thought i would

• Like 1

had to go into homedepot today to replace estwing hammer that im pretty sure i sheetrocked into a wall, so i picked up another m12 6.0 battery also and while i was there the milwaukee man was there, started to shoot the crap, and i ended up leaving with a beautiful 6 foot heavy banner from milwaukee. thats what i call a good day at the office

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

• Like 9

On 3/19/2017 at 11:41 PM, BMack37 said:

I love my Fuel drills but the m12 Fuel sort of stands up with the compact batteries. A breeze will knock it over...that being said, I don't know if I'd rather the Dewalt style 12v packs.

i love my m12 fuel tools also, and love the dual style battery style, you can go compact when you want or opt for the larger battery. sometimes i lay it on its side other times i stand it up, and other times i just clip it to my pocket, depends on what kind of mood im in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mohawkdec said:

had to go into homedepot today to replace estwing hammer that im pretty sure i sheetrocked into a wall, so i picked up another m12 6.0 battery also and while i was there the milwaukee man was there, started to shoot the crap, and i ended up leaving with a beautiful 6 foot heavy banner from milwaukee. thats what i call a good day at the office

He should have gave you one of the new Milwaukee hammers! Although not available yet i'm sure.... Nice banner!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

He should have gave you one of the new Milwaukee hammers! Although not available yet i'm sure.... Nice banner!

If they are anything like the chalk lines they won't be available in store until several months after release.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

they were pushing the new hart hammer, estwing is still one of the best, and its american made, my first choice, the guy from milwaukee told me they had to remove some of their milwaukee hand tools that were geared towards electrician ? orders from klein if they still wanted to sell klein. not a problem with me though as all my electrician tools are klein anyway.

Well, I had good luck with the el cheapo Wen brad nailer, so I thought I might give another el cheapo nailer a try:

nailer.thumb.png.b7f0c0b8118f842ed0e9f357888757f5.png

IMG_20170321_210036-2.thumb.jpg.320173839a890a27bb985a5358cb1d66.jpg

This 15 gauge pneumatic nailer is a product of the world's number one leader in professional quality tools, "3Plus."  :P

I don't know how it's going to be.  Amazon reviews were mostly positive.  I don't do a whole lot of finish nailing, and for $75 it's worth trying before spending $140 on a Hitachi.  

The box has some interesting errors:

nailerbox.thumb.jpg.3a510e879737449730b136ea163fadf3.jpg

My experience is that mold attaches itself to surfaces without the need for nails.  

As to the fasteners, I'm pretty sure it's impossible for it to take more than one gauge of nails.  Nothing in the manual says anything about 11ga nails.  Cut and paste error perhaps.

We'll see how it is.

• Like 4