What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

8 hours ago, jtkendall said:

What brand is the router bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftex Blue Tornado,I have a couple other specialty bits from this company and they have held up well.

8 minutes ago, comp56 said:

Craftex Blue Tornado,I have a couple other specialty bits from this company and they have held up well.

That's good to know. I need to upgrade some of my most commonly used bits from the cheap Ryobi one's I have to something better without breaking the bank, they appear to be very reasonably priced.

5 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I'm very interested in your thoughts on this one bro

I had to pull the trigger, what few reviews I've seen were positive and the small premium for made in Japan for the 7.5" augers compared to Bosch or Milwaukee Chinese bits seemed worth it. The premium on the 18" augers is another story; price is 50-100% higher lol. 

These:

IMG_20170115_145615.jpg

A little out of focus, apparently, but you can see what they are.  Also these, which were not handy for the picture:

chisels.jpg bosch.jpg

All this is in the course of a classic "more trouble than it's worth" project, in which I install a pocket door on a walk-in closet without disturbing the drywall on the room side:

IMG_20170114_085756.jpgIMG_20170114_094139.jpgIMG_20170114_122641.jpgIMG_20170114_161712.jpgIMG_20170114_174516.jpgIMG_20170114_220548.jpgIMG_20170114_122723.jpg

The builder's drywall hangers were conscientious enough to glue each sheet in place, which caused me problems taking those studs out; and the mud and tape guys floated the corners out so far that my replacement rock was probably 1/8" lower than the cut pieces, requiring me to float out a lot too.  But I did get the studs out without having to break them up, in reusable condition after a quick pass through the table saw to clear off the construction adhesive.  One is now a jack stud and the other's part of the new header.  There is another jack stud on the far end of that header, but it and the header are only 2" wide at that point due to the electrical box, so I doubled up a pair of jack studs at the end of the slider.

Experts in building codes can probably tell what region I live in from the second and third construction shot.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, BMack37 said:

Torin twist socket rails are on clearance at Lowe's so...

S0WeQDx.jpg

That's awesome. I'll have to check out my Lowe's. I still haven't set up my snap-on twist socket tray yet though.... They've had me out of the mechanics shop since September so I haven't been turning a wrench as often as I like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Experts in building codes can probably tell what region I live in from the second and third construction shot.

Why is that? From the EMT in those pictures? That's interesting. i'm no electrician, but even around here I know it's far from a requirement when I do new construction plumbing and see all the romex 

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

e84323007db64f37c45613a22c9e83c3.jpg

Here's my tool I got guilted into buying thanks@chrisk LOL

Nice, that Chris has some good recommendations... LOL

That EAB was always a favorite of mine... that is until I got a spring assisted knife. But I still really like its compact size and being able to swap blades with a new razor sharp blade

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Nice, that Chris has some good recommendations... LOL

That EAB was always a favorite of mine... that is until I got a spring assisted knife. But I still really like its compact size and being able to swap blades with a new razor sharp blade

I used to carry a Benchmade auto knife daily at work but I sold it to a buddy of mine a few years back because he kept pestering me about it and I needed the cash. I'm getting permissions from Gerber for their new auto knife but it has to go through an approval process because they are controlled tools/weapons. I'm not a hundred percent sold though as I still have two Gerber assisted opening knives and both have failed springs. I figure I'll get the new one am done try it out because of a discounted price. Worst case, meh. Best case? I've got a tool I can use at work that'll serve me well like my Leatherman MUT. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dwasifar said:

These:

IMG_20170115_145615.jpg

A little out of focus, apparently, but you can see what they are.  Also these, which were not handy for the picture:

chisels.jpg bosch.jpg

All this is in the course of a classic "more trouble than it's worth" project, in which I install a pocket door on a walk-in closet without disturbing the drywall on the room side:

IMG_20170114_085756.jpgIMG_20170114_094139.jpgIMG_20170114_122641.jpgIMG_20170114_161712.jpgIMG_20170114_174516.jpgIMG_20170114_220548.jpgIMG_20170114_122723.jpg

The builder's drywall hangers were conscientious enough to glue each sheet in place, which caused me problems taking those studs out; and the mud and tape guys floated the corners out so far that my replacement rock was probably 1/8" lower than the cut pieces, requiring me to float out a lot too.  But I did get the studs out without having to break them up, in reusable condition after a quick pass through the table saw to clear off the construction adhesive.  One is now a jack stud and the other's part of the new header.  There is another jack stud on the far end of that header, but it and the header are only 2" wide at that point due to the electrical box, so I doubled up a pair of jack studs at the end of the slider.

That conduit pipe coming off that bell box. Having a brain fart. It's not a bell box but... Damm. Brain fart. Conduit pipe is nice but that would be expensive to do lol. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I used to carry a Benchmade auto knife daily at work but I sold it to a buddy of mine a few years back because he kept pestering me about it and I needed the cash. I'm getting permissions from Gerber for their new auto knife but it has to go through an approval process because they are controlled tools/weapons. I'm not a hundred percent sold though as I still have two Gerber assisted opening knives and both have failed springs. I figure I'll get the new one am done try it out because of a discounted price. Worst case, meh. Best case? I've got a tool I can use at work that'll serve me well like my Leatherman MUT. 

How'd you like that Benchmade auto knife? A guy I knew let me use his. Felt real solid. I guess they replace springs no questions asked. You can get them across the border in Idaho without people asking so many questions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stercorarius said:

How'd you like that Benchmade auto knife? A guy I knew let me use his. Felt real solid. I guess they replace springs no questions asked. You can get them across the border in Idaho without people asking so many questions.

I liked it for the most part. The blade overshot the handle so every once in a while I'd catch the back of my hand on that little spur and give myself a little slice. I also got the semi serrated blade and I should've gotten the straight blade.  I carried it in my pocket and it made quick work of seatblets, bandage packages, lunches etc ;)

Anyways. The springs were going and my buddy was going to send it out for free repair but it was a solidly built knife and it kept an edge for a long time. All of the parts were metal, no plastic at all, heavy duty tool and really compact.

• Like 2

e84323007db64f37c45613a22c9e83c3.jpg

Here's my tool I got guilted into buying thanks@chrisk LOL

I have that little pocket knife. I like it. It sucks the blade isn't quick release but a penny or dime works to loosen and tighten the screw.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Theultimatehic said:

That conduit pipe coming off that bell box. Having a brain fart. It's not a bell box but... Damm. Brain fart. Conduit pipe is nice but that would be expensive to do lol. 

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Why is that? From the EMT in those pictures? That's interesting. i'm no electrician, but even around here I know it's far from a requirement when I do new construction plumbing and see all the romex 

Yes.  The EMT and metal boxes mark this as Chicago area, the only place left in America as far as I know where metallic conduit is still required by code in residential work.  In Cook County and the collar counties (Lake, Dupage, I think Kane, etc.) everything is metal.  I've never heard those boxes called bell boxes; they're just called square electrical boxes as far as I know.  That particular box holds the wall switch you see in the room-side view.  For new work they have stud brackets attached:

box.jpg

And you top them off with a 1-gang or 2-gang "electrical box cover" which everyone calls a mud ring:

mudring.jpg

I've spent most of my life in this area, so it feels like I've always known how to bend conduit and pull wire through.  I did a remodeling project in Atlanta once, and that was all Romex.  Seemed weird not to be able to color-code, and to have to deal with the bare ground wire.  

The other weird thing here compared to the rest of the country is that we mount our outlets horizontally.  No one knows for sure why, as far as I've been able to find.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AnonymousJoe said:

I've been seeing a lot of requests recently in high end residential for outlets to be put down low in base boards. I was told the trend comes from New York, I wonder if anyone else is seeing this. I hate it lol

I saw it in that Atlanta project.  I understand why they like it, but it's a giant pain in the butt.

7 hours ago, dwasifar said:

These:

IMG_20170115_145615.jpg

chisels.jpg bosch.jpg

I have never seen a Header with 2x4s in the flat like that. In the north east they were always on edge with plywood in between. Out here in CA the framers that did my house used 4x6s on doors with a 34in opening. 

4 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

That's awesome. I'll have to check out my Lowe's. I still haven't set up my snap-on twist socket tray yet though.... They've had me out of the mechanics shop since September so I haven't been turning a wrench as often as I like.

Check online first, some stores have it regular price some like mine were $5-9. Also it's limited stock and Lowe's has a real time stock tracer on their site. I could only pull it up by searching "Torin"

Hopefully picking up another two 1/2" rails tomorrow.

• Like 1

I've been seeing a lot of requests recently in high end residential for outlets to be put down low in base boards. I was told the trend comes from New York, I wonder if anyone else is seeing this. I hate it lol

It's making its way south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1