What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

So I finally started my Knipex collection. I ordered them from Sears since I had $20 in SYW points and a lot were going to expire soon. So I bought the 03 01 180 7-1/2" Combination Pliers & 20 01 140 5-1/2" Flat Nose Pliers. The combination pliers were free with my points.

flatnose_combinationpliers.png

• Like 6

Oh and this came today finally.

systainer_closed.pngsystainer_open.pngshopfestool_stickers.png

I can't recommend ShopFestool/US Tool and Fastener enough. They were great through this entire Festool debacle. If, and quite frankly it's a big if at the moment, I buy anything else Festool it will be through them.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, justinkendall said:

I can't recommend ShopFestool/US Tool and Fastener enough. They were great through this entire Festool debacle. If, and quite frankly it's a big if at the moment, I buy anything else Festool it will be through them.

That's great, good to hear the retailer handled it well. I still have til March. It is nice of toolnut to keep me updated at least

1 hour ago, justinkendall said:

So I finally started my Knipex collection. I ordered them from Sears since I had $20 in SYW points and a lot were going to expire soon. So I bought the 03 01 180 7-1/2" Combination Pliers & 20 01 140 5-1/2" Flat Nose Pliers. The combination pliers were free with my points.

flatnose_combinationpliers.png

Nice Knipex pliers :) You will be happy with them :)

Most recent stuff I bought was a redbull racing snap on ratcheting screwdriver, snap on 3/4 ratchet,Williams Palm ratchet and a 1/4 USA John Deere ratchet.  I've bought way to much to mention This month and last went a little overboard oh I also just hot in these rare special edition grey snap on instinct screwdrivers lol these were $165 also got them in rare yellow and in red white and blue but bigger sets, can't believe what I paid for 4 screwdrivers but I looked for months on ebay 

14859007853501051455088.jpg

• Like 3

Does your phone have flash Jimbo? Lol I saw the white Makita logo floating by your hand and carpet in the background.... That's about it ha

Finally received my ridgid torpedo level with laser

I have a thing for laser levels I guess.

I'll be comparing this to my Bosch one

IMG_20170131_181252014

They also sent me a sample gold Bond lotion.... Kinda weird

• Like 3

9 hours ago, justinkendall said:

I passed on this deal because I already have a Festool ETS 150/3 (which is a 6in orbital sander) But I'm so kicking myself now. The systainer, cord and coupon were worth it alone.

8 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

I passed on this deal because I already have a Festool ETS 150/3 (which is a 6in orbital sander) But I'm so kicking myself now. The systainer, cord and coupon were worth it alone.

I wish I had the money for 3 or 4 of them when the pre-order opened. It would have been nice if the coupon was able to be used on accessories. I need to pickup the dust bag/box for it.

25 minutes ago, justinkendall said:

I wish I had the money for 3 or 4 of them when the pre-order opened. It would have been nice if the coupon was able to be used on accessories. I need to pickup the dust bag/box for it.

At first I made an adapter to hook up a pool hose to my sander and attach it to a Ridgid shop vac, but this kit is so worth it. http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-universal-small-port-hose-kit-with-auxiliary-hose  You can sand for hours and not even need a dust mask.

(when I bought it, it only came with one hose.)

17 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

At first I made an adapter to hook up a pool hose to my sander and attach it to a Ridgid shop vac, but this kit is so worth it. http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-universal-small-port-hose-kit-with-auxiliary-hose  You can sand for hours and not even need a dust mask.

(when I bought it, it only came with one hose.)

At that price I will probably just get the dust bag since it's only $30.

http://www.shopfestool.com/festool-longlife-dust-bag-rts-dts-ets-sanders-201693/

53 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

I broke a bunch of Dewalt and Irwin bits recently, so I figured I would give these a shot since they were on sale.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on bits for metal. This is about all the sizes I really need.

Look for a set of cobalt bits, they aren't cheap and a lot of manufacturers have them, but they do work and last. a set comparable to what you purchased from Milwaukee is about $72 cost + shipping at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-89-0026-Cobalt-Drill-Bit/dp/B003BWPHZW/ref=sr_1_22?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1485924968&sr=1-22&keywords=cobalt+drill+bits

I have 29 bit index from DeWALT and have replaced one bit in 8+ years. I avoid using them on anything but metal and prefer using less expensive bits on construction lumber projects and brad point bits on finer woodworking projects. The inexpensive drill bits sets are great because you don't cry very long if you break one and you can afford to keep 2 or three around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I broke a bunch of Dewalt and Irwin bits recently, so I figured I would give these a shot since they were on sale.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on bits for metal. This is about all the sizes I really need.

I like CLE, they're more expensive but worth it IMO. I haven't tried the one's HD and Lowe's carries but will probably get them at some point. I think they're cheaper at Lowe's, around $50

• Like 1

Ordered a few accessories for my soon to be delivered Dewalt Combo kit.
Help me choose some layout tools guys as I am new to woodworking, so I can order them together.
Was looking at Swanson speed and combination square kit. Any other essential layout tools that I should have in my arsenal, let me know.

9a1f4b226d00a05ba86a666668eb2c49.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rdst_1 said:

Help me choose some layout tools guys as I am new to woodworking, so I can order them together.
Was looking at Swanson speed and combination square kit. Any other essential layout tools that I should have in my arsenal, let me know.

Can't go wrong with a Swanson, they are the one all others are judged by, my personal favorite is Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-Tool-RAS-1-Aluminum/dp/B00002N5O6/ref=pd_sim_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RSKRZTZKNQNFR2942W30 Ace also sells the Craftsman labled version http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35554456&cp=2568443.2568450.2628078.2629269

I keep a "back to school" protractor, compass, ruler kit I got at Staples, a decent combo square is a must, I use an older Stanley works fine and don't forget the good ol' "L" carpenter square.

4 hours ago, rdst_1 said:

I have been digging this combination square lately. Its nice to be able to pull the ruler out quickly and not have the lock nut get stuck, but I still use an empire on occasions when I want the ability to lock it down.  http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Magnetic-Combination-Square/T26481?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

I love my empire lay out tools, wood peckers is even better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

I love my empire lay out tools, wood peckers is even better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geez he said he was just getting into woodworking, I'd like to think everyone could start off with Wood Peckers stuff but we don't all have Bill Gates money.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2017 at 11:00 PM, SetBuilder said:

IMG_5117.JPG

Trust me. These are top of the market for metal. Excellent bits. You can also get them in a traditional index if you prefer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380830446311 

• Like 1