What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 11/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, Eric - TIA said:

How do you like Keen?

I have had a few pairs of their shoes. They aren't perfect in some cases but the best work shoes available in my opinion. I got some of their socks about a year ago I think and now I am getting a few more pairs to try. The socks are worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 1:54 AM, Russo said:

A 20V battery for my B & D drill motor to replace the one I allowed to die forgotten in a drawer for 4 or 5 years.

That's a good buy; a lot of us would simply look at buying a new drill, but there's something to keeping tried and true cordless tools going that appeals to me.  I don't own the B&D 20v Max system, but I purchased their AutoSense drill/Bluetooth speaker promo for a friend years ago, and later picked up another battery or two and a better charger for him.  The drill seemed pretty decent, being compact and modern looking, and he's always seemed happy with its performance.

I've had good luck with batteries so far.  My Porter Cable 18v li-ion batteries were still going strong when I gave away those tools in 2017, though most of them were produced in 2010, and I have DeWalt 12v Max batteries with 2009 date codes that are still working well.  I had a DeWalt 20v Max 4Ah battery quit which was covered under warranty (I noticed afterward that one of the terminals had been corroded off), and another 2Ah battery die that had gotten moisture in it at some point.  Also, the two M18 5.0Ah batteries that came with my OneKey kit did not register on any of my chargers until I jumped them with other batteries.  

I ordered a new PJ Utility trailer (custom ordered) this past thursday. I went with 83x16 tandem axle. I added primer, blackwood flooring, and what they call atv ramps. I also swapped the black paint out for white paint to match my pickup truck. Also just over a month ago I bought a new mower. A 60in SCAG Turf Tiger with the 37 hp Vanguard engine, a mulch kit, and a light kit. I am still waiting to go pick both the mower and trailer up. Kinda a waiting game for a phone call of them telling me they are ready to pick up.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In the past couple weeks I picked up a brushless Angle Grinder and SDS Rotary Hammer by Craftsman that were clearance priced to my tastes. 

So my Craftsman collection is pretty much complete for my needs. Only thing I “could” do is replace the two brushed tools I own with brushless models (OSM and Recip).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, fyrfytr998 said:

Today I jumped on a Lowes deal where they were selling 6ah batteries for my V20 tools for only $89 bucks from $129. So I bought the only two in the store.

Sounds like a pretty decent deal.  I'm not in the Craftsman platform, but the only non-FlexVolt DeWalt 6Ah battery I own was from a Lowe's deal: buy a tool, get the battery for free.

In other news, I spent a little buying tools of my soon-to-be former profession today.  About to sneak downstairs and plot on the AR-556 soon.  I like iron sights but used the ACOG a lot; never was a good shot with the AimPoint (M68).  Good optics will almost double the price of the rifle, but will be worth it on the range and in the backyard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

Sounds like a pretty decent deal.  I'm not in the Craftsman platform, but the only non-FlexVolt DeWalt 6Ah battery I own was from a Lowe's deal: buy a tool, get the battery for free.

In other news, I spent a little buying tools of my soon-to-be former profession today.  About to sneak downstairs and plot on the AR-556 soon.  I like iron sights but used the ACOG a lot; never was a good shot with the AimPoint (M68).  Good optics will almost double the price of the rifle, but will be worth it on the range and in the backyard.

I was out of the military long before optics became the norm. How do you guys shoot up close if the ACOG is a fixed 3x or 4x?

1 hour ago, fyrfytr998 said:

Love my TSC55. How many tracks you pick up? And will you drop the 400 plus on the 110" one piece track?

Ends up I have quite a few Festools in my shop, including the Ts55REQ. I have a 110, 2 55’s and a 55” LR32 rail already. I would’ve loved the 75 but to no avail, it Aint available. Glad to hear you love it, o can’t wait to give it a go!

• Like 1

Just now, ChrisK said:

Ends up I have quite a few Festools in my shop, including the Ts55REQ. I have a 110, 2 55’s and a 55” LR32 rail already. I would’ve loved the 75 but to no avail, it Aint available. Glad to hear you love it, o can’t wait to give it a go!

Plus retirement is great especially at my age but I’ve got a 5 year old and a 2 year old to watch out for so until I get off my lazy bum when my daughter goes to kindergarten tool purchases have slowed Wayyyy down!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fyrfytr998 said:

I was out of the military long before optics became the norm. How do you guys shoot up close if the ACOG is a fixed 3x or 4x?

For close quarters battle (CQB) we aim over the barrel.  Some optics have built in CQB sights.  It's been awhile since I was on the line, but most Soldiers are issued the M68 Close Combat Optic (CCO - AimPoint Comp M4), with the ACOG usually reserved for leaders.  

8 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Plus retirement is great especially at my age but I’ve got a 5 year old and a 2 year old to watch out for so until I get off my lazy bum when my daughter goes to kindergarten tool purchases have slowed Wayyyy down!

I'm glad I started early.  By the time I'm officially retired my youngest will be 12 and my oldest 24.  I plan to start another job while on leave but we'll see.  Gotta support the tool addiction somehow!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I received the Leaf Rakes after some delays. I haven't used them yet but they seem awesome. I think they will be lifetime rakes just like the garden rakes. Most of my outdoor hand tools are Fiskars Pro now. They make really solid tools. I picked up a few of the Pro shovels earlier this year and also got their Pro Prunners last year. If Fiskars makes a broom I will likely switch to it makeing me all Fiskars Pro.

I also received the summer 2022 Tool Crate which was quite solid. Knipex 10in CoBolt, Wera Joker Adjustable Spanner Wrench, Gator Magnetics Gator Hook, Vessel Stubby bit holder/screwdriver, Gripty Magnetic Trays (new product offering), Milwaukee 6-1/2 in framing blade 24 tooth, from Stealth Mounts we got a pack of Cleat 'N' Feet and a pack of Level Mounts.

I also ordered the Ego LT1000 light which should arrive today I hope. I am looking to up my cordless lighting game and with all the batteries I own this seemed like an excellent option.

I also ordered a 4 pack of Bessey KRE bar clamps the other day for over $100 off from Amazon. I think it was something like 44% off. The deal was too good to pass up. The deal is gone but you can still get them for 10% off.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

We have the light also.  What are your mixed feelings, just curious?

The light is really good. I would rate it a 9/10 even but there is 3 tweaks I would make. I would like the heat sinks of each light panel to be metal instead of plastic, it would be nice if the usb charge port worked with the light turned off and had a type c option, and I would like to be able to rotate the light even more upwards so I can shine light on the ceiling.