What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the MetaboHPT compact hammer drill kit and bare tool Triple Hammer impact driver from Lowe's.  My military discount didn't apply since the tools were at the minimum retail price ($103.05 for the drill kit and $67.05 for the Triple Hammer).  

I also bought the DeWalt power cleaner but haven't tried it out yet (besides confirming that the Ryobi soap blaster nozzle I grabbed on clearance fits).  I have the EGO mower, but the DeWalt mower kit with two 10Ah batteries at $360 was tempting me.  I need to get a mower for the other house but it won't be an expensive one, so if I get the DeWalt it's staying here and working with the EGO.  

12 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

How do you like the Metabo?

I'm liking them so far.  The circular saw has a quiet mode that reduces power but eliminates the trademark high pitch squeal of typical saws.  It's also fairly compact and lightweight compared to my M18 Fuel and even the Gen 5x Ridgid.  The hammer drill seems decent, and the Triple Hammer has four speeds (soft, normal, power, and self-drilling screw) that may come in handy, but I haven't tested them yet.  

I do like the ability to turn off the work lights on the saw and Triple Hammer.  I can't say how often I'll use the feature, but a light isn't always necessary, and I've found some situations where it is a hindrance.

Lowe's just can't stop tempting me...

I've been considering the Milwaukee M12 installation driver, but the free tool promo just isn't enticing enough.  Choice of right angle drill (pretty much covered by the installation driver kit), rotary tool (I have a Hitachi 12v), 3/8" ratchet (have one), or OMT (have two DeWalts).  So, after walking through my local HD and picking up some toilet paper and a Ryobi surface cleaner for the pressure washer, I headed over to the Blue Store.

Long story short, I now own a Bosch 18v hammer drill and Freak impact kit.  Originally $349, it was on clearance for $139, less than either of the tools by themselves.  They had a similar kit for $179 but the hammer drill in it has less impressive specs.  While there I also picked up the last two USB power hubs for $11 and change (originally $29), since my DeWalt and Ridgid ones are MIA.  

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a Woodpeckers Clamping Square Plus Rack-It Kit. I wanted a nice set of clamping squares. I went with these because of the metal construction and the quality you get with a Woodpeckers product. More affordable options didn't appeal to me whether it be because of their build quality, feature set, or design. The set is expected to arrive in June.

I didn't buy a tool per se but rather an attachment for my rotary hammers.  A few weeks ago I bought a similar attachment for larger holes.

I don't use my rotary hammers regularly, but I do like the thought of having these to extract dust when I do.  At the moment, I have the d-handle M18 Fuel 1" and a corded DeWalt 1", to use with numerous SDS-Plus bits for occasional concrete drilling (though I have to break out a chisel to rebuild some brick steps in the coming weeks).  

Will do, now I need to get a good portable dust extractor, but until then I'll probably use these with my DCV580 or M18 vacuum.  I still need to put a cord on the Jet extractor I got for free to see if it works.

I’ve not posted a lot of tools I’ve bought recently, this is more of a wow why didn’t I get this years ago thing, but the new plunge base attached to my cordless router below that itself attaches to my circle-cutting jog was an absolute joy to use today. Even adding multiple passes I’m much happier doing this now instead of fussing with a corded 1/2” router that would have competently handled it in one or two.

464CCBDF-5735-41EB-9F37-34458723B69E.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Nice set up.

Thanks. I felt for my setup drawers made more sense. removing boxes to get at their contents inside was becoming a hassle especially in a small work space. I also don't have to use boxes on the job as much as I used to so keeping them stationary was no problem. I really only take the recip to do some light tree work and I left that in my modified DS130.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found the Ryobi mini glue gun in store in North Carolina, so I picked it up.  I also picked up another of the full sized ones a couple weeks ago, since my son's girlfriend seems to love the old one.

It seems to take a while to heat up, but that may just be me.  Also, the 4" mini glue sticks go fast, but I guess that this is designed for (very) small projects.  Also, I'm spoiled by the 12" full sized sticks.

Next up, if and when I find them in store, are a couple of the new Ryobi clamp fans.  I want one for the gym and the other for...something.  The misting fan is back in stores, but I think my Arctic Cove (same fan in blue and white) is enough for now.  Also, there's a DeWalt promo with a free 5Ah battery at Home Depot.  The fan was tempting, but my Ridgid versions have served well over the past four years.

16198684741572122586774072127764.jpg

1619868492822992159377636017270.jpg

On 5/2/2021 at 6:07 PM, Eric - TIA said:

I have the Ryobi glue gun also.  I love it and use it a lot but your right, it does take a lot of time to heat up.

The mini version has a nice spot designed to catch dripping glue (which it doesn't seem to eject much of).  I can deal with the amount of time it takes the large gun to heat up, but the biggest annoyance is the fact that it seems to constantly drip when it's ready for use.  This is easily rectified by placing a piece of paper or plastic under the glue gun, but I can see where it could possibly damage materials if the user doesn't pay attention.

• Like 1

A guy I know was giving away a jointer for free. Now I own a 6 inch jointer. I didn’t check for the brand or year of manufacture but it seemed like it is likely an older unit. Maybe from the 90’s. It had a rolling wooden base with motor in the base. It seemed to cut well.