What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

3 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Your post about your 10" was what put Wen on my radar. I was previously looking at Ryobi and Delta.

Glad i could help !!! Mine works great,  I'm sure you are gonna love it !

can't beat the price !!

• Like 1

Black Friday shopping was a success! I was wanting to get the flexvolt miter saw, but after thinking about it and considering cost/benefits, I figured it would be a stupid purchase for just doing DIY stuff. So I went with the new Rigid R4221 miter saw. Got tired of looking at my kobalt bag of hand tools that were overflowing as well as the bag of my porter cable tool set along with my dewalt drill, so I bought a husky tool box set. Also needed a ladder, so I bought the Werner 4 in 1 22' ladder which is really nice and sturdy. And found a set of 3 husky medium duty gloves. All in all, great deals. Looking forward to trying out the miter saw, but will have to wait a couple days. 

R4221: http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp-12-in-Corded-Dual-Bevel-Sliding-Miter-Saw-with-70-Degree-Miter-Capacity-R4221/206726927 $299

Werner 4 in 1 ladder: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Werner-22-ft-Aluminum-Telescoping-Multi-Position-Ladder-with-250-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-I-Duty-Rating-MT1-22/205905620 $99.98

Husky 5 drawer tool chest: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-26-in-5-Drawer-Tool-Chest-Textured-Black-H5CH2LEC/206635941 $119

Husky 5 drawer tool cabinet: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27-in-5-Drawer-Tool-Cabinet-Textured-Black-H5TR2LEC/206635944?MERCH=REC-_-irg_aic-1-_-206635941-_-206635944-_-N $179

Husky Gloves: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Large-New-Medium-Duty-Glove-3-per-Pack-SL8717L/206993543 $19.88

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

Got a couple things this morning crew nothing to exciting :( 

IMG_1619.PNG

IMG_1618.PNG

IMG_1620.PNG

Awesome, I like the stick light a lot! And you got enough batteries to last awhile too!!

2 hours ago, olletsocmit said:

I'm seeing a lot of Milwaukee batteries in the past two pages here with blue on them what is that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just @NicolasRamos painted his batteries to quickly identify them..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeyB said:

I swung by my HD tonight and they were sold out of the Rodgid Miter saw stand ($99) & those M12 XC batteries like Big Mike picked up, they were down to $69, that's a steal.  I hope they get more in soon.

Gotta watch out for guys like bigmike lol grabbing all the goods!

• Like 2

865be9193ee1d57f980333e9cf86be30.jpg
Picked up the Ridgid stack this morning. Love it so far!
d7a8c9c43b712f27225646fd7f7b7414.jpg
My Father bought this for my work van. He said if it holds up he may buy a couple more(are you listening Milwaukee!). I also picked up two of those gorilla slim-fold platforms for $19 bucks each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

I'm seeing a lot of Milwaukee batteries in the past two pages here with blue on them what is that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Blue Sharpie paint pen to mark my batteries and cordless tools. I stole the idea from IG: @Hvac_artisan. I've always used a regular Sharpie on my tools, and blue 3M electrical tape on my hand tools in order to keep track of them. Noah showed off his system of marking batteries on the vent holes, and I liked it enough to give it a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I picked up the Ridgid R4221 miter saw and the big 18510 shop vac that wasn't listed in the ad, but was marked down to $99. Also picked up the $40 shop vac for my BIL.

I'm a big fan of the Ridgid vacs. After 10 years, my previous model is worn out. Brushes are shot. It's still going (used it yesterday) but I expect it to catch on fire each time I use it.

The miter saw, well..... it's not bad for a $300 saw, but my initial impression is not overly optimistic.  

• Like 3

@Conductor562 Mind me asking why your initial impression of the miter saw isn't great? Picked it up yesterday as well and haven't gotten a chance to cut with it yet. I did mess around with it a bit as I was getting everything setup and the bevel system is a little awkward as is the detent override on the front. Those are the only two things I found to be a slight pain, but I can see getting use to them overtime. 

1 hour ago, CoreyR said:

@Conductor562 Mind me asking why your initial impression of the miter saw isn't great? Picked it up yesterday as well and haven't gotten a chance to cut with it yet. I did mess around with it a bit as I was getting everything setup and the bevel system is a little awkward as is the detent override on the front. Those are the only two things I found to be a slight pain, but I can see getting use to them overtime. 

I'll admit, I'm kinda picky about my tools, but I'd imagine most of us are. I'll also admit that I sometimes have pre-conceived notions about certain brands and that was true of Ridgid as well. I've had lots of Ridgid products over the years and I've come to anticipate budget professional levels of quality, but IMO, the 4221 is more in line with DIY level quality and more along the lines of something I would have expected from Ryobi. 

I used a Makita LS1225 for years. No frills, no slide, no fancy stand, etc, but it was rock solid. When I started redoing my house I needed a slider, so instead of buying one, I took my FIL's Ridgid MS1290LZA on loan for a year or so. It was a beast of a saw. Made in Taiwan, very sturdy built, and very comparable to more expensive options from Dewalt, Bosch, etc. A couple weeks ago he needed it back, so I decided to bite the bullet and get one.

The 4221 seemed like a great option, but after getting it home and playing with it, I'm not so sure. 

The Good: It makes great cuts, has great capacity, and despite Ridgid'a reputation for rough sliding saws, it slides easy. I'm not sure I'll ever need to make a cut tighter than 45*, but having the ability to do so makes me happy for some reason. I also like the trigger much better than the 1290.

The Bad: Right off the bat I was unimpressed with the multi-operational bevel adjustment. I guess it's good if you prefer complexity or you just really like to be frustrated, but it took me 20 minutes to figure out how the damn thing actually worked and even when I figured it out, I wasn't happy with it. 

The Worst: The miter lock is garbage. When I got the saw mounted on the stand, and started playing with it, I couldn't get the lock to work at all. Upon inspection, I discovered that the again overly complex mechanism is party plastic, and after an hour trying to adjust, it just wasn't going to work. I also discovered this saw was made in China rather than Taiwan which instantly explained a lot. I took it back and after some serious consideration, I decided to exchange it as opposed to getting another brand. 

The next saw works, but I find myself wondering for how long. Both saws feature random grind marks on the underbelly (see pics) and while that doesn't hurt anything in and of itself, it is an indicator of poorly executed design and sub-par manufacturing process. 

At $300 I suppose it's worth the gamble, but I have a sneaking suspicion that at some point in the future the miter lock will fail and I'll hate myself for ever thinking otherwise. 

IMG_6664.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

• Like 1

@Conductor562 Fair enough. I agree about the bevel adjustment, it took me a few minutes to figure out how it works. Same with the miter adjustment. I think overtime I'll get use to it and it should be good. The saw seems solid, but I'll have to take a look at the same spot on mine from those pictures and see if I have the same issue. My main concern with it was the reviews said there was a wobble with the blade. I'll test it out tomorrow. 

51 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Sold my 2731 half an hour ago and just ordered the 2731/9.0 combo kit to replace it. 9.0 and rapid charger on the cheap :)

Nice!

Do we have any real-world experience with how this compares with the FlexVolt?

Since I'm no longer going with either the FlexVolt recip or angle grinder, and either would require a new battery platform, just wondering what the consensus is.

I had preordered several Flexvolt tools through HD but they ended up canceling my orders for an unknown reason. I decided to hold off at the time pending some reviews and feedback. I've started to buy into the Flexvolt line and I just started with the grinder today. Glad I waited. Got the extra battery free and talked them into accepting a 20% coupon from HF.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wildroamer said:

Nice!

Do we have any real-world experience with how this compares with the FlexVolt?

Since I'm no longer going with either the FlexVolt recip or angle grinder, and either would require a new battery platform, just wondering what the consensus is.

FlexVolt circular saw is clearly stronger from everything I've seen and read. I think the Fuel has a better shoe though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoreyR said:

@Conductor562 Fair enough. I agree about the bevel adjustment, it took me a few minutes to figure out how it works. Same with the miter adjustment. I think overtime I'll get use to it and it should be good. The saw seems solid, but I'll have to take a look at the same spot on mine from those pictures and see if I have the same issue. My main concern with it was the reviews said there was a wobble with the blade. I'll test it out tomorrow. 

I don't mean to sound overly negative. I decided to roll with it and I expect it to be sufficient for my use. Even with its faults I suspect it will be a good saw at its price, but I don't know how well it would hold up on a job site over time. 

I'm not making a living with it and don't need perfection, but if I did, I'd be looking elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Just picked up this little jewel a few days ago while at Lowes.  I've been looking for a small portable air compressor that would not wake the dead.  After much deliberation and research I decided to try the Kobalt Quiet Tech out.  It looks like a clone of the California Air Tools brand and I think Husky has one almost identical.  I wasn't real sure about it until I heard it running.  All I can say is IMPRESSIVE!  Extremely quiet when compared to a traditional portable oil less compressor.  I purchased the extended warranty because I had a bad experience with a Kobalt compressor a few years ago.  I down loaded a noise app to do a side by side comparison and there was about a 10 decibel difference.  The Quiet Tech came in at 63 decibels with the traditional compressor coming in at 74.  That's a pretty sizable difference when your after quiet.  By the way after some testing I discovered a typical hair dryer runs at 70 decibels, shop Vac was 80.  The app is not a calibrated instrument but it gives a good idea of how loud your tools are.  As you can see it fit perfectly in my newly renovated mobile tool cart. 

kobalt air compresor.jpeg

• Like 3